UKFF FPL Week 42

Fog Dude

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That change is to negate Stunstone's ridiculous single-week haul by giving even less of an incentive to go against a particular team when chance means it could be the most profitable to do so when that team comes around? I do understand the dilemma, but as getting 3 points on one game is enough of a crapshoot (I was joint-5th-bottom for the season and - no diss intended - you were dead last) 33% of two extra points with risk seems quite attractive to someone looking to catch up.

Without bonus points taken into account, I'd be 2nd last of those who carried onto the end. As I said though, D2Ds aren't the only source of bonuses, just the main one. On the general point, there is a case for keeping D2D the same or even making it worth more, but how you look at it probably depends on whether or not you like to take risks. I'm more of a risk-averse person. There's about 6 weeks until the sign-up thread for next season goes up though, so we'll see what the consensus is then... or if anyone else even cares.

UKFFFPL2012-13finaltable_zps5d816c4c.png

In the meantime, there's this campaign's final classification to pore over. Bold in the main table indicates tie-breakers for people who finished level on points. Make what you will of the other selected statistics. They only apply to participants who didn't drop out.

Unsurprisingly everyone who took part in the final round made it into double figures. Any late shifts in position were caused by a few exceptionally good bouts of scoring. I'm not going to go through all 30 games individually, but suffice to say that the biggest duds were to be found in Iberia as the Portuguese Cup final and Spanish second tier outcomes all proved unforeseeable. At the other end of the spectrum, the Champions League final itself joined a handful of French and even American results in being the most useful for many pickers. Austria, Serie C and the other finals were the trademark Mixed Bag©.

So as I type this, May has turned to June, which means I can say that the 2013-14 FPL starts next month! A sign-up thread will appear sometime during July, with the first card following on the morning of Wednesday 31st. Plans can change, but that's the probable date. And yeah, I'll be the one posting it. To those who thanked me in their replies to this thread, you're welcome [/sandow]. Unless something unexpected comes up, I should have a lot more free time next year, so there'll be no excuse for getting tardy or ballsing this up. After that everything might be up in the air again, and the offer to take over the running of this will once more be open. For now though, it's a pleasure... most of the time.

Right, I think that's everything then. Thanks again to everyone who played, even those who didn't make it to the finish line, and congrats again to stunstone - I see he's updated his sig already! Until next time, enjoy the Confederations Cup, Women's Euros, U-21 Euros and World Cup qualifiers, plus the draws for the early rounds of various cup competitions.

Or, you know, just ignore football for a couple of months and forget about it for a while. Whichever suits you. Either way, I hope you all have a good summer. See you next season!

Like the really small print for least amount of exact scores. ;) I feel I must point something out since my own scoreing was a bit well... Interesting.

I had the least 1 pointers which is a slightly missleading colum anyway, since it suffers if you happen to be quite good at geting correct results I think if you add all them up I would't have been last at the very least I would have beaten niff. it's still pretty low though. The thing is It is counterballanced by my number of correct results where I finished second. Which means percentage wise I was far the best player in converting results to correct scores. So next season if I keep that rate but up my results I could do quite well.

I feel I suffered from rookie mistakes at the begining too, so next season hopfully I can hit the ground running.

On D2D's I don't think the bonus points should be upped. As fun as it is it relys to heavily one one result it's great if you get it right but if not it's almost impossible to come back from it and I think the table should refect the whole season not 1 game. So I think lowered to one should be an interedting experiment. Besides I'm more tactical so somtimes I like to agree.

(Forgive the spelling, I can't spell check on blackberry. I know what fog dude is like ;) )

Thanks to Fog Dude for running this again, looking forward to "defending" my title next year.... :smug:

On the subject of D2Ds, I've thought for a while that they are slightly flawed, and I'm honestly not saying that because I never guess correctly when it's my turn! One of the issues is that someone whose D2D is early in the season has the potential to earn more bonus points (up to a possible 10 in this season) than someone whose D2D comes towards the end. I think lowering the points bonus to 1 for an incorrect pick would be a good step to take.

I much prefer the other bonuses Fog Dude sets up such as the "Big 4 ", as it gives everyone the same chance to have their individual round score multiplied or divided accordingly. If only San Marino had beaten England...

That being said, if D2D returns again next season, I'm looking forward to another crazy pick! :D

Archived