History Of ECW

Legace

Anyone out there have a good knowledge of the original ECW? I always thought their TV show from april 1993 was their official debut but I've recently come across a card call ECW Battle Of The Belts which was co-promoted with the WWA and took place in January 93. Does anyone know if this counts as an official ECW show? Was it televised/released on home video? Also are there any other obscure shows from the very early days of ECW in 92/93?

There is some footage of ECW from 1992 doing the rounds, which includes commentary from Dick Graham and Powerslam's own Stately Wayne Manor.

The matchlistings are below, I could only make it through disc 1.

Best of ECW 1992 DISC 1

Tommy Cairo vs Damien Stone / Jim 'Anvil' Niedhart vs 'Wildman' Sal Bellomo < Muraco run in (Heel Turn) / Super Destroyers vs Nightbreed ECW Tag Title / Jimmy Snuka vs Johnny Hotbody ECW Title / Johnny Hotbody vs Tony 'Hitman' Stetson / Kodiak Bear & Canadian Wildman vs Hellriders / Hotbody & Stetson continue their brawl / Russian Chain Match Ivan Koloff vs Tommy Cairo / Tony 'Hitman' Stetson vs 'Wildman' Sal Bellomo Lumberjack Match

Best of ECW 1992 DISC 2

King Kahjua vs Tommy Cairo / Super Destroyers vs Larry Wimters& Jimmy Jannetty / Glen Osbourne vs Jimmy Snuka ECW TV Title < Snuka Heel Turn / Sandman (Surfer Gimmick) vs Kodiak Bear ECW Title / Jimmy Snuka vs Super Destroyer #1 ECW Title / Jimmy Snuka vs Don Muraco Grudge Match < Snuka beats down Tod Gordon & several wrestlers / Jimmy Snuka vs Tony 'Hitman' Stetson / JT Smith vs Jimmy Snuka

Ah. Tony 'Hitman' Stetson: the last ever ECW Pennsylvania Champion. There was a feud between Stetson, Larry Winters and D.C. Drake which was heavily featured in some non-PWI American-based wrestling mag circa 1992. They made this feud seem like a huge deal with pictures of matches which looked bloody and epic; all three men were painted as stars in the making. Imagine my surprise when I purchased my first batch of ECW tapes around a year or so later, featuring all three men as glorified jobbers losing to the likes of Salvatore Bellomo and a surfer-clad Sandman.

Looking at the History of ECW website. I knew that Stevie Richards was part of the first ever match promoted under the ECW banner, but for some reason I thought that either Tommy Dreamer or Chris Candido was his opponent. I never realised it was Jimmy Jannetty. So, essentially, we have the fake Rockers fighting each other in a 20 minute draw. Class.

Tuna, thanks for the listings, are the best of ecw discs home video releases or home made comps? Also is it handheld/fancam footage or a proper recording?

From what I understand, they were promo videos put together by ECW to show to TV stations to get them to air their product no idea if they ever aired or not. They are proper recordings with commentary, one camera set up in a sports bar. I have the two discs (and I'm sure some of it's up on youtube) and as you would suspect from the listings it's dreadful.

Yeah doesn't look like the best line up lol. Seems they did shows at the sportsbar monthly roughly, would these promos & the battle of the belts be the earliest footage available before their tv show began proper or is there likely to be more?

Anyone out there have a good knowledge of the original ECW? I always thought their TV show from april 1993 was their official debut but I've recently come across a card call ECW Battle Of The Belts which was co-promoted with the WWA and took place in January 93. Does anyone know if this counts as an official ECW show? Was it televised/released on home video? Also are there any other obscure shows from the very early days of ECW in 92/93?

From '92 there are the two DVDs that are some kind of Best Of for try to get a TV-Network, there is also the release of "Battle of the belts" the show from January '93.

The rest of the '93 is on the TV Show and the tape release.

The Fan Cam started in '94 so you can't find some handlehand of the previuos shows, but the shows before Heyman are not so good, and only with "The night the line was crossed", the starts of the Dreamer-Sandman feud in april-june '94 and the NWA Tournament that the ECW became a must see.

From '92 there are the two DVDs that are some kind of Best Of for try to get a TV-Network, there is also the release of "Battle of the belts" the show from January '93.

The rest of the '93 is on the TV Show and the tape release.

The Fan Cam started in '94 so you can't find some handlehand of the previuos shows, but the shows before Heyman are not so good, and only with "The night the line was crossed", the starts of the Dreamer-Sandman feud in april-june '94 and the NWA Tournament that the ECW became a must see.

Thanks for the info mate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_Championship_Wrestling

http://www.prowrestlinghistory.com/indy/tr...te/tsindex.html

The latest Observer had some interesting stuff on the death of WCW/ECW and Jerry Jarrett's plans to buy one or both, which of course morphed into TNA. I never picked up on the fact that Spike actually cancelled Raw. Obviously it was part of some posturing as Spike knew WWE was leaving, but still. It was also quite specific on the fact that the bad crowd reaction to the Bagwell-Booker T Raw main event was what killed the WCW brand as a separate entity.

Archived