*Raw 20/05/13* *Spoilers*

Smh2013

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HHH has loved him for a while by all accounts, so I think he's going to do just fine. Good, whenever I've caught him on NXT or Superstars (which isn't loads, admittedly) he's looked a good hand.

For someone who loves him, HHH has a funny way of showing it. He did nothing to put the guy over - I'm not even talking about losing to him, I'm talking about the way he made him look an inconsequential joke, 'let the adults talk', then just destroyed him for most of their match.

Look at how they got the Shield over - by having them destroy everybody - top people included. Repeatedly. That's how you get people over.

It'd be shit if they only had one method of getting someone over.

Given the context, a story where Heyman is convinced of his own abilities (because of success with Lesnar and Heyman), takes a punt on a nobody to prove it, is met with scepticism before ultimately being proved right/wrong sounds apt.

• Moderators

I'm just quoting what one of the people you review for in Meltzer has said a few times. Take it up with him. And I suppose in HHH's world, Axel got the rub by just being in the ring with Trips and Heyman.

• Paid Members
Look at how they got the Shield over - by having them destroy everybody - top people included. Repeatedly. That's how you get people over.

All the time? That's boring. And stupid if you're someone the size of Sin Cara or Evan Bourne.

I knew this would happen, though, as soon as HHH said that to Axel. HHH has dragged up a guy who he is widely reported to really like from being a jobber and lumbered with the most boring tag team title reign since Londrick to being managed by a guy last seen with Brock Lesnar and CM Punk. He gives him the main event match on a post-PPV Raw against a 13 time world champion, and he doesn't lose. I mean, what fucking more do people want him to do? You don't just get the keys to the kingdom handed to you unless you are REALLY special, and Axel clearly isn't anywhere near that or deserving of that yet.

• Paid Members

Aye that's the thing, they may only see Curtis Axel as a bit of filler for Heyman until Punk/Lesnar comes back or, at best, a potential heel for Cena to beat on some 'B' show. If Curtis Axel is any good then Monday isn't going to hurt him in the slightest.

Good luck to him and I hope he succeeds. It'd be nice to introduce someone different into the mix who's never had the chance before to see what he can do.

I do have reservations about one thing though: Who the bloody hell thought up the name "Curtis Axel"? It sounds like a Smackdown v Raw CAW for Christ's sake.

I know WWE like to create their own names so they own the copyright, but they used to make them a bit more glamourous, with at least some connection to the wrestler's real name, like Shawn Michaels, Randy Savage, Sid Justice etc.

Things like Kassius Ohno, Skip Sheffield and Curtis Axel sound bloody ridiculous, and there ought to be a stop to it. So there.

Yep, look at The Shield. Or Tensai with his wins over John Cena and CM Punk. Or Vladimir Kozlov's year-long unbeaten streak. You can't just repeat the same trick and expect it to work for everyone, nor should everyone have a destroyer gimmick. Curtis Axel is basically a heel version of 1996 Rocky Maivia. Except shitter. He's not as bad as DH Smith, but he is shit. He's never shown any sign of being suited to anything more than Superstars job boy duty. Perhaps he will with this new push, but I'd be surprised.

Raw was alright. The six-man was great. Ryback's speech at the start lost its way a few times, very hit and miss. The Hey man reveal being some receding-hairline loser was pretty woeful. Intriguing ending to the main event but seems odd when they've got Ziggler out with a real-life concussion and a Cena injury storyline.

• Moderators
I know WWE like to create their own names so they own the copyright, but they used to make them a bit more glamourous, with at least some connection to the wrestler's real name, like Shawn Michaels, Randy Savage...

When did the WWE make up those names? The wrestlers in question went by those handles long before they ended up in New York.

Randy Savage really is an appalling name when you think about it. Great as well, but if they give people weird adjectives as first names and/or nouns as surnames now, everyone shits on it. Lucky Cannon, Husky Harris, Erect O'McPenis. I suppose it's a difference of changing times, and the gimmicks matter. Savage was never just a bloke, and he never debuted in a promotion as a nervous trainee. Fandango couldn't work as the name of a rookie on NXT. But like Ziggler has proven, if you establish yourself a bit, the weird name doesn't matter at all.

Archived