*Raw 20/05/13* *Spoilers*

Smh2013

Michael McGillicutty was the last person I was expecting....when I saw his face appear on the tron I was baffled. Then it all made sense, which as mentioned is a testament to Paul Heyman.

To be fair to the new Curtis Axel however, when he strutted down the ramp he had convincing vigor, his incredible new music was the entrance music of a star (why didn't they make something based on Ted Sr's for Ted Jr a couple of years ago?) and when he stood next to Heyman he looked comfortable. This should be interesting as he isn't a monster like Lesnar or a proven champion like Punk and despite a good physique and height he isn't exactly Batista. Perhaps, he will slowly work through and defeat the mid-card guys but associate with the main eventers in tag matches etc as I can't see him being put straight in the mix as it looks like WWE aren't afraid to be a little more patient these days, as demonstrated with The Shield.

Not much of note on Raw this week, I think Ryback may very well still be in with a shot at becoming Champion though.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

HHH has loved him for a while by all accounts, so I think he's going to do just fine. Good, whenever I've caught him on NXT or Superstars (which isn't loads, admittedly) he's looked a good hand.

• Paid Members

I liked the ending. Makes a change from the usual "One guy just pinned/attacked another!!!! Tune in next week!!!" stuff. At first, I thought they should have had the ref count out Triple H and then announce Axel as the winner, but with the way they've done it; not giving him an official victory, they're setting up Curt and Heyman to look even slimier in the coming week(s) when they inevitably brag about 'beating' Triple H.

If Curt milks this for a few weeks and gets the crowd to want to see him get his arse handed to him when HHH comes back (even if it's just a quick beatdown on Raw)... Then he already has something more interesting to do than 90% of the other new/repackaged guys get. That's a successful start to getting someone back on tv.

Plus, he has tremendous theme music. He's set for a good while.

• Paid Members

Hmm...I predict Curtis Axel going the same way as previous "Heyman guys" Nathan Jones, Matt Morgan and Heidenreich.

You can give a guy Paul Heyman, cool entrance music and a rub from Triple H but at the end of the day it's still Michael fucking McGullicutty. He's a mid carder at best. Just look at the man.

I enjoyed Titus against Sheamus. That's the best thing about Sheamus, he takes these go nowhere midcard guys and makes them look like stars for the night. Titus seemed to get a bit excited about it and dropped an f-bomb right into the camera.

That may have been the best Shield match since TLC. Daniel Bryan's been fantastic recently, the hot tags have been explosive and he's proper ramped up the intensity. I thought Rollin's head was gonna snap off at least twice. I think it's time to lose the beard now. There was a moment where Bryan was isolated in the Shield corner and Ambrose was just toying with him, shoving him in the face, and for a few seconds the commentators fell silent and all you could hear was all three of them laughing and smack talking, "come on boy! You're the weak link". For about four seconds I hated these fucking guys. These brash thugs amusing themselves with the weird small guy who's hasn't quite grown up and just want to be friends and have hugs. The playgrounds little nightmares. True Villains. Surely D Bryan has to remain the babyface when Hell No split up. The chemistry he has with Ambrose and Rollins in particular is crazy. The Shield are amazing. Let them win at everything for eternity.

• Paid Members
I wouldn't have expected him to get the Heyman Guy spot.

I think it's a tremendous fit with some neat links, intentional or not. He fits the Heyman guy mould in that he's supposedly a 'worker' and one that would generally probably be an internet favourite for that and for who his Dad was (another internet favourite). His Dad always had a manager as a heel. His Dad was great mates with Brock Lesnar, Heymans biggest client, Perfect played a big part in Brocks early days, this could be Brocks ways of returning the favour and paying homage to his old friend. Axel ran with CM Punk and was brought in by him with The New Nexus. Plus, i'm not sure he's much of a talker. I like it.

On Curtis Axel, the name - I think Curt Axel sounds better and what I initially thought it said on the big screen, but maybe that's avoided due to the aforementioned maybe sounding a bit similar to Kurt Angle. Years ago when everyone was crying about him being called Michael Migillcutters I said i'd like to see him dubbed Joe 'The Axe' Hennig, or any name they like first actually in homage to both his Old Man and his Old, Old Man as he looks tons like his Gramps to me.

Maybe it's just like Rocky Maivia and he'll end up as "The Curt" anyway.

...Or 'The Axe'.

• Moderators

Curtis Rude would have been a sweet as fuck name if they fancied paying homage to his dad's best mate as well. According to last night's WON radio, Heyman and Hennig were super tight, so that makes him being a Heyman guy all the more sensical. I just didn't expect him to get it because, well, I just didn't. I thought they might have gone with someone seen a bit more towards the top for the Heyman spot. Mind you though, no-one watches NXT or Superstars so it's probably just a case of Joe Hennig having been in hiding for the past year or so in the eyes of the fans.

Are they using better mics on the ringside cameras or something? Audible spot calling is getting a bit of a regular habit these days, Orton might as well have yelled "chop block" to Swagger. And much as I do quite like those two, that was a long match to sit through. Not exactly edge of your seat stuff, though Zeb was really good at ringside so it had that going for it.

Liked the Curtis Axel stuff, and the six man tag. Heyman is a fantastic manager, and he gave Axel a bit of instant credibility with his hype speech. I hope he doesn't end up being a fall guy in the stable with Lesnar and Punk (assuming either is back on TV any time soon), I've dug he work on NXT and Superstars for a while and never expected him to get a re-push like this. He needs a change of haircut, mind you, he has the "do" of a teenage chav boy. Considering they re-named him and appear to be getting behind him, I'm surprised that they didn't change more elements of his look.

I think it's a great idea but I just don't think Joe Hennig has "it". Antonio Cesaro or Kassius Ohno would be much better in this role. They look more menacing for a start. Hard to see how they are going to go about getting him majorly over as there is a major lack of top babyfaces.

I hope I'm wrong because Mr. Perfect is an all time favourite of mine. Axel Perfect might've been a better variation of the name in my opinion. Rolls off the tongue slightly better than Curtis Axel does anyway.

Sure Paul Heyman will give it his best shot though. It's a fresh idea so I'm not complaing too much.

Good idea, think they see some potential in him but not sure how to go about fulfilling it. Hope it doesn't die on it's arse, but I can't help thinking that he doesn't have the "IT" factor that's required. Still, it's better than RVD rolling his massive gut down the aisle and pretending it's 2001.

I wouldn't have expected him to get the Heyman Guy spot.

I think it's a tremendous fit with some neat links, intentional or not. He fits the Heyman guy mould in that he's supposedly a 'worker' and one that would generally probably be an internet favourite for that and for who his Dad was (another internet favourite). His Dad always had a manager as a heel. His Dad was great mates with Brock Lesnar, Heymans biggest client, Perfect played a big part in Brocks early days, this could be Brocks ways of returning the favour and paying homage to his old friend. Axel ran with CM Punk and was brought in by him with The New Nexus. Plus, i'm not sure he's much of a talker. I like it.

I believe Joe Hennig also, legitimately, has a son named Brock.

Are they using better mics on the ringside cameras or something? Audible spot calling is getting a bit of a regular habit these days, Orton might as well have yelled "chop block" to Swagger. And much as I do quite like those two, that was a long match to sit through. Not exactly edge of your seat stuff, though Zeb was really good at ringside so it had that going for it.

When they revealed who had won the vote though.....that really was edge of your seat stuff.

Archived