Footballers / Athletes who failed to fulfill their potential

John Matrix

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Just imagine Twenty/20 in Hick's day though, in his prime. Same for Robin Smith.

Hick did play some 20/20 and even outside of his prime he had a great record - averaged 37, had two centuries, and his strike rate was nearly 160 (over 9 runs an over). Great player.

• Moderators
Just imagine Twenty/20 in Hick's day though, in his prime. Same for Robin Smith.

Hick did play some 20/20 and even outside of his prime he had a great record - averaged 37, had two centuries, and his strike rate was nearly 160 (over 9 runs an over). Great player.

Yeah, I did see him then so imagine him in his prime! Fuck, even if people have a go at his test play, I don't think we've ever had a better ODI player. He should have been in the England ODI set up until about 2006 or so.

The best change in mindset in English cricket was when they started to make sure the guy had the technique and the mentality to play international cricket beofre he's out at the crease. Who was the guy who was a brilliant opener in county cricket who went out for his first test and bemoaned to his partner that he hoped his mum wasn't there because he always played badly when she was there? Then he got out for a duck. The name escapes me.When they started to make sure they had the right guys, they stopped being so reactive and gave people a chance in the team. They decided to give guys a tour playing in a role they were comfortable with, rather than move them up and down the line-up and blame the player when he doesn't perform. Lots more prospects seem to swim rather than sink now.On football, I think you have to draw a line between hype and actual ability. A lot of the Everton kids who never made it were never quite as good as they were cracked up to be. There have been players that were genuinely good at youth level and then lost it in senior football. The players who interest me are guys like Lee Boylan, who was brilliant for West Ham's reserves but had some sort of chronic complaint, like kidney disease, which meant he could never get into Premier League shape. He played for Canvey Island after bouncing around league clubs and scored 148 goals in 178 games, which would otherwise get you a move to the Football League.

• Paid Members
On football, I think you have to draw a line between hype and actual ability. A lot of the Everton kids who never made it were never quite as good as they were cracked up to be. There have been players that were genuinely good at youth level and then lost it in senior football. The players who interest me are guys like Lee Boylan, who was brilliant for West Ham's reserves but had some sort of chronic complaint, like kidney disease, which meant he could never get into Premier League shape. He played for Canvey Island after bouncing around league clubs and scored 148 goals in 178 games, which would otherwise get you a move to the Football League.

Mike Marsh had a bit of a rough go, in a similar-ish sense. He got injured playing for Southend, and took a payout that required him to stay out of league football. He helped both Kidderminister and Boston get into the league, but wasn't able to come into league football with them.

Paul McGrath.Combination of dodgy knees,psychological problems and alcoholism stopped him from being one of the all time great centre backs of the modern game.Man of his talents should have won a lot more then a FA Cup and 2 League Cups.

I think Hick's got a rival here to be honest.For anyone who's knees where THAT fucked to put the performance in that he did at USA '94 v Italy is outstanding. I missed him at United (born in '87) but I would have loved to have seem him then AND also to have seen where his career would have went without the injuries and other issues.Also on that note....Norman Whiteside.

Dean Ashton is one i'd throw out there. Looked shit-hot at Crewe and Norwich then less so at West Ham. Then his injuries caught up with him and he retired at like age 25. I thought he would have eventually signed for one of the top 4 sides and played for England. Neil Mellor as well. He scored that wonder goal for us against Arsenal in the last minute in 2004/2005 and got a goal in the comeback against Olympiakos. But then he went shit and fell down into League 1 before retiring before the age of 30.

• Paid Members
For anyone who's knees where THAT fucked to put the performance in that he did at USA '94 v Italy is outstanding. I missed him at United (born in '87) but I would have loved to have seem him then AND also to have seen where his career would have went without the injuries and other issues.

Aye, and he made Phil Babb look so good in said game that Liverpool paid a then fortune for the cunt.

For anyone who's knees where THAT fucked to put the performance in that he did at USA '94 v Italy is outstanding. I missed him at United (born in '87) but I would have loved to have seem him then AND also to have seen where his career would have went without the injuries and other issues.

Aye, and he made Phil Babb look so good in said game that Liverpool paid a then fortune for the cunt.

Liverpool's own stupidity that. Irelands win that night was almost single handedly the Paul Mc Grath show.

• Paid Members

In terms of cricketers again, John Crawley was given similar treatment to Graeme Hick. He was one of the few England batsmen who knew how to combat Muttiah Murailtharan and the Australians said during the mid-90s that they had not seen anyone play Shane Warne as well as him and that he was the best England batsman they had seen for years.

But again, shunted up and down the order, in and out of the team, never really backed by the management.

• Moderators
Who was the guy who was a brilliant opener in county cricket who went out for his first test and bemoaned to his partner that he hoped his mum wasn't there because he always played badly when she was there? Then he got out for a duck. The name escapes me.

Probably Mark Lathwell. But Hick's mentality was ruined by media pressure before his first cap (RADIO TIMES COVER!!!!!) nad Ray (Is Douglas Jardine still about?) Illingworth.

Dean Ashton is one i'd throw out there. Looked shit-hot at Crewe and Norwich then less so at West Ham. Then his injuries caught up with him and he retired at like age 25. I thought he would have eventually signed for one of the top 4 sides and played for England. Neil Mellor as well. He scored that wonder goal for us against Arsenal in the last minute in 2004/2005 and got a goal in the comeback against Olympiakos. But then he went shit and fell down into League 1 before retiring before the age of 30.

Ashton was genuinely really good and finally had a manager who understood his game and was willing to play him in that role. Then a freak tackle on what should have been the start of a fruitful England career basically ended it. He carried on for two years but he'd done so much damage to the ankle, he had to jack it in. Good call.

In terms of cricketers again, John Crawley was given similar treatment to Graeme Hick. He was one of the few England batsmen who knew how to combat Muttiah Murailtharan and the Australians said during the mid-90s that they had not seen anyone play Shane Warne as well as him and that he was the best England batsman they had seen for years.

He also had the brilliantly-obvious nickname of Creepy.

Probably Mark Lathwell. But Hick's mentality was ruined by media pressure before his first cap (RADIO TIMES COVER!!!!!) nad Ray (Is Douglas Jardine still about?) Illingworth.

I think it was Lathwell at Headingley, not his debut but the game where everybody expected it to be his coming-out party and he choked.

Archived