Would a Referendum on Gay Marriage Pass?

nfc90210

I'd hope so, but there are a massive number of bigots about. My sister's appalled by that Vicious sitcom, not because it's crap but because it's about old queers: "Young ones are bad enough!"

It is absolutely mental to try and force churches to do gay weddings though. I'm all for it, because it completely undermines the religions that the churches are built by, but if you hate the religion that much, silly to want to get married in their gaff in the first place.

Like all referendums, it would depend on what sections of the public could be effectively mobilised for the vote. I hate the idea of referendums in general, primarily because the public on the whole are morons, and it's already bad enough that we even let the fuckers elect governments. The other reason is that apathy to the whole political process is at such a level now that a referendum on any issue would be inevitably slanted in favour of extremists - it's why I dread the inevitable EU referendum, because the moderate majority will likely be out-shouted by mongs who think deporting Abu Qatada is the single biggest problem we face as a nation, or who view Bulgarians as some kind of rampaging Dothraki horde.

So yeah, bit of a tangent here, but in short, referendums fucking suck. The whole point of politicians, if there is one, is that they're supposed to educate themselves thoroughly on important issues of public policy so that they can subsequently make responsible decisions in the interests of the electorate. I know I'm overestimating the competence and responsibility of a lot of politicians (vastly in the case of the Goves of this world), but the alternative is turning our lives over to White Van Man and his 'common sense' (so called because you're born with it and you don't have to read any of them book things to get it, innit). Would a vote on gay marriage pass a referendum? I'd say the majority in this country are either expressly in favour, or take an ambivalent 'live and let live' attitude to it. But would they actually outnumber religious zealots, homophobic conservatives, queer-bashers and inward-looking Little Englanders in turning out to the polls? Who knows. Never underestimate the stupidity of the general public.

You breeders are welcome to keep marriage, in fact i really wish you would, one less life sentence obtainable by me.

Christ almighty.

It was tongue in cheek, my friend.

But you're used to tougues in cheeks, hur hur, Rimmer. Etc.

• Paid Members
You breeders are welcome to keep marriage, in fact i really wish you would, one less life sentence obtainable by me.

Christ almighty.

You don't want me to bust out my rendition of Cannonball, then?

Christ almighty.

But you're used to tougues in cheeks, hur hur, Rimmer. Etc.

+1

In hindsight that was quite an unfortunate phrase i used ^^.

In all seriousness though, shouldn't they just make civil partnerships completely equal to marriage, give it a new name that the hordes of gay pride can agree upon and allow religious establishments to choose whether or not they host these ceremonies? Everyone seems all too serious about the matter.

Archived