Most Star Studded Wrestling event

Was watching a bit of Wrestlemania 19 last night, and was thinking has there ever been a more stacked card than this?

You have Rock, Austin, Hogan, Vince, HBK, HHH, Angle, Lesnar, Taker, Eddie, Jericho, Mysterio & The Big Show all working the same card.

What else do you think comes close to that line up?

Royal Rumble 92.

Hogan, Flair, Undertaker, Piper, Slaughter, Dibiase, Bulldog, HBK, Sid, Savage, Roberts, Bossman, Legion of Doom, Owen Hart, Neidhart, Duggan, Sheik.

Then the likes of Heenan, Monsoon, Mean Gean and The Fink working the Mic. Awesome

Was watching a bit of Wrestlemania 19 last night, and was thinking has there ever been a more stacked card than this?

You have Rock, Austin, Hogan, Vince, HBK, HHH, Angle, Lesnar, Taker, Eddie, Jericho, Mysterio & The Big Show all working the same card.

Wrestlemania 21 was pretty great as well, most of those guys plus the current generation of Cena and Orton, as well as Batista. Wrestlemania 19 definitely tops it though, something like 5 legitimate main event matches:

Angle vs. Lesnar

Rock vs. Austin

Hogan vs. McMahon

Triple H vs. Booker T

HBK vs Jericho

Shit, that was a mad roster. I think my WM21 love comes from the introduction of MITB, I remember thinking that first one was the coolest thing ever. Eddie vs. Rey was the perfect hot opener- much better use of them than WM19.

Vengeance 2005 and Unforgiven 2006 were other great PPVs, but that's more an overall quality thing than being especially star-studded.

For one from left field, how about the abominable Fall Brawl 1998? Bret, Piper, Hogan, Warrior, Sting, Luger, Nash, DDP... all in one match! Plus Hall, Hennig, Steiners, Bulldog, Goldberg (!), Jericho and more on the undercard.

Royal Rumble 92.

Hogan, Flair, Undertaker, Piper, Slaughter, Dibiase, Bulldog, HBK, Sid, Savage, Roberts, Bossman, Legion of Doom, Owen Hart, Neidhart, Duggan, Sheik.

Then the likes of Heenan, Monsoon, Mean Gean and The Fink working the Mic. Awesome

This. Still my favourite Rumble of all-time because you cared about almost EVERYONE in the ring, and Flair's performance was gripping. This match was in stark contrast to the Rumble 5 years later that was filled with Mexican Lucha Libre imports and unknowns due to the lack of depth in the troubled WWF's roster.

WM19 always wins this argument. In addition to the above, you had John Cena rapping on the pre show, you had Stacy, Torrie and Trish in their primes looking smoking hot. And there was an advert for Goldberg debuting aired in the arena and a Goldberg chant - exciting time.

Royal Rumble 92.

This. Still my favourite Rumble of all-time because you cared about almost EVERYONE in the ring, and Flair's performance was gripping. This match was in stark contrast to the Rumble 5 years later that was filled with Mexican Lucha Libre imports and unknowns due to the lack of depth in the troubled WWF's roster.

Don't forgot Von Erich, Santana, Martel, Steve Keirn- ok their glory days were far behind them but some former holders of some serious titles right there and names which meant alot in various territories years before.

Depends what you class as stacked?

The Weekly Pro Dome show from the Tokyo Dome on 2 April 1995 features Devil Masami, Aja Kong, Manami Toyota, Terry Funk, Cactus Jack, Akira Maeda, Nobuhiko Takada, Atsushi Onita, Mitsuharu Misawa, Stan Hansen, Kenta Kobashi, Toshiaki Kawada, Shinya Hashimoto and Masa Chono.

I agree with WM19, you'd be lucky to get a card with so many big time matches on one card now, imo. WM19 has to be one of my favorite Manias as well tbh.

• Paid Members
Is there a particular reason why Wrestlemania 19 was a relative flop? You look at that card and it's incredible but I'm sure I read it was a bit of a disaster buyrate wise.

It's just simply that, aside from Hogan vs McMahon, there were no money matches on the card. Lesnar and Angle barely even popped a quarter hour rating for their heavily advertised match (that turned into a bait and switch) on the Smackdown a week or two before Wrestlemania, let alone drew extra buys to the show. Hindsight makes it easy to look at Rock/Austin 3 and say "WOW!" but Austin had been finished as a top level draw for at least a year before that. Shawn vs Jericho was never going to draw in many extra viewers, its purpose on the card was to blow away people who'd already bought the show. And the other title match involved Booker T, Booker T!

It doesn't help that WWE put on Rock vs Hogan 2 a month beforehand, that (and Rock vs Goldberg, which they did the month after 'mania), was the biggest money match they could do.

Is there a particular reason why Wrestlemania 19 was a relative flop? You look at that card and it's incredible but I'm sure I read it was a bit of a disaster buyrate wise.

It's just simply that, aside from Hogan vs McMahon, there were no money matches on the card. Lesnar and Angle barely even popped a quarter hour rating for their heavily advertised match (that turned into a bait and switch) on the Smackdown a week or two before Wrestlemania, let alone drew extra buys to the show. Hindsight makes it easy to look at Rock/Austin 3 and say "WOW!" but Austin had been finished as a top level draw for at least a year before that. Shawn vs Jericho was never going to draw in many extra viewers, its purpose on the card was to blow away people who'd already bought the show. And the other title match involved Booker T, Booker T! It doesn't help that WWE put on Rock vs Hogan 2 a month beforehand, that (and Rock vs Goldberg, which they did the month after 'mania), was the biggest money match they could do.
Actually, most people attribute the fact that this was promoted so heavily in advertising material rather than other matches as the reason.

• Paid Members

Who are these "most people?" And why do they think Hogan/McMahon being heavily advertised stopped the rest of the card from getting people to buy the show? Were they so offended by the build to that match that they didn't order the show (that they were clearly looking forward to SO much otherwise) in protest?

Hogan/McMahon got top billing in the adverts for a reason, it was drawing the most interest.

Google it yourself and you'll see OPINIONS going back to 2003 saying as much, even Meltzer at the time would question SD (the B show) shows ending with Vince / Hogan and this was being advertised as main attraction in a lot of advertising materials. You talking about "protest" is goofy, it's just a case of people not digging the perceived main attraction.

Archived