Wrestlers Being Pricks

L_E_T_H_A_L

• Paid Members
Especially on this forum where the mix of wrestlers and lawyers sniff about.

Ahh, Harvey Stringfellow.

I recently heard a tremendous story about someone over here wanting to film an interview with Raven, and Raven insisting they went to Stonehenge to film it. That's more tittery than dickery though.

Does Raven know its all behind fences now and you can't really get near it? I'd love him to turn up and be all disheartened before filming the shoot in the cafe over an over priced slice of apple tart.

New Jack developed that gimmick in Smokey Mountain before they even met Paul Heyman.

Off Topic but SMW is some of the small selection of New Jacks work I could still watch and enjoy.

I remember meeting Jarrett at a TNA thing and he was talking to the bloke next to him the whole time, I don't think he broke conversation for single fan. He didn't even look at us, just signing away looking the other way and talking the whole meet and greet.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does Raven know its all behind fences now and you can't really get near it? I'd love him to turn up and be all disheartened before filming the shoot in the cafe over an over priced slice of apple tart.

Then utter his famous line from Louis Weird Weekends... "Do you know who I am?"

Then utter his famous line from Louis Weird Weekends... "Do you know who I am?"

Great example of a wrestler being a prick. As if Louis Theroux was supposed to know everyone in the business on sight. Ironically, Theroux was respectful and appreciative of his subject this time. Raven and Buddy Lee Parker - of the State Patrol, no less! - unfortunately felt the need to act like David Schultz and made themselves look like nincompoops in the process.

• Paid Members
Speaking of Helms, didn't him and Bagwell get into some bother backstage years ago? Who was the prick in that incident?

I said it in another thread but Helm's shoot was hilarious because it started with him moaning about having an (unfair) rep as someone who gets into a lot of fights, then thoroughout the shoot mentions a dozen different retarded fights he got in.

Him being really angry at Michaels must be a deeper story or perhaps he's just mega christian. But his reasons were pretty weak.

He talks about how Shawn absolutely destroyed Chris Jericho with a tirade of profanity-laced verbal abuse in the catering area at a Raw taping

You're making that sound a lot more dramatic. There was a little argument in cateratd even says thing which included Michaels swearing (Christians are not allowed to do this apparantly?) Jericho himself defended Michaels on Twitter saying that he gets into arguments with different people all the time and it wasnt a big deal.

I'm not making it out to be more than it was - I accept that it was a typical argument between colleagues, probably down to a typical Michaels strop (he's famous for them).

If you listen to Helms's interview about Michaels, he comes out with more F-bombs than I've ever heard from anyone else and even says that he was "so close to just knocking him the fuck out, job be damned." So I doubt Christian beliefs are the source of his upset.

Michaels himself isn't so straight and narrow that he doesn't swear at all. He just doesn't do it on television where he has an influence on kids. I saw an interview with Michaels and Pete Rosenberg from 2011 on Youtube a while back and Michaels swears on it a good few times. He also referred to Hulk Hogan as a "dick" on his 2007 WWE DVD (Heartbreak & Triumph). He doesn't make himself out to be a saint, but he's trying.

Wasn't there an interview with Helms where he moaned about how he expected to be friends with Michaels when he arrived at WWE, but Michaels wasn't bothered, or am I mixing him up with someone else?

Didnt JBL try and take liberties and bully Chuck Palumbo in the locker room only to get an unexpected kicking for his trouble?

Don't know about that but there was a story years back that Steve Blackman knocked him out with one kick after an incident at an airport

Internet rumours.~

The story when it happened was that JBL was pinching Blackman's arse all day to wind him up. Blackman snapped and they had a bit of a roll around on the floor, probably claiming that their Dad was bigger than the others.

• Paid Members
Thank God Rob Lowe was in the locker rooms when all these things went down and can speak so matter of factly about these incidents.

Although I wasnt in the lockeroom/plane/catering hall, if a story interests me I'll check different shoots and interviews to hear the opinions of people that WERE actually there to try and build the most accurate picture.

Most people seem to ignore the facts and just defend/glamourise their favourite wrestlers and crucify the guys they dislike.

Sorry for doing five minutes of investigating! But Helms being mentally angry at Shawn Michaels, when everyone else is fine with him or just moved on (including Bret 'Batshit' Hart) is fascinating to me.

They're all headcases if you think.

Haha. I always come back to that.

Don't understand how anyone could defend Heyman's business prickishness back in the ECW days,unless they're the sort of deluded fan who thought CM Punk was going to usher in a new attitude era if he had beaten Taker at Mania 29.

I don't see what some imaginary fan has to do with Paul Heyman not paying wrestlers. I'm defending him because I'm bored of reading about what a terrible businessman he was when he did everything he could to make ECW a success and came very close to doing so. ECW was doing better numbers than TNA is now with far less resources. Heyman managed this despite being fat and bald, a remarkable feat.

I hear Mark Henry is always a right cunt to fans in real life. Anyone experienced this personally?

Yep...

At Wrestlemania 27 in Atlanta, the hotel the wrestlers stayed in was next door to ours, So before Raw we popped round there as most of the guys were strolling out heading to the arena. Most were either friendly and stopped or did not have time and just said no- fair enough.

Mizark walked out on his own, there was only me and my friend there at this point, I asked him for a photo which he stopped for, He then walked away, my mate put his hand on his back and said could he please have a photo too. Henry turned around and said "Don't fucking touch me" You fucking motherfucker! He then gazed at my friend, but then turned to the camera and done the photo ha ha. Have to admit my mates silent reaction was priceless.

I hear Mark Henry is always a right cunt to fans in real life. Anyone experienced this personally?

Yep...

At Wrestlemania 27 in Atlanta, the hotel the wrestlers stayed in was next door to ours, So before Raw we popped round there as most of the guys were strolling out heading to the arena. Most were either friendly and stopped or did not have time and just said no- fair enough.

Mizark walked out on his own, there was only me and my friend there at this point, I asked him for a photo which he stopped for, He then walked away, my mate put his hand on his back and said could he please have a photo too. Henry turned around and said "Don't fucking touch me" You fucking motherfucker! He then gazed at my friend, but then turned to the camera and done the photo ha ha. Have to admit my mates silent reaction was priceless.

I dunno why, but tht little story just made me love Mark Henry that little bit more.

CM Punk at International Showdown. I'm running backstage, I tells Punk his match is up next so to be ready by the curtain, Punk says "I'm not going out there" I ask why, Punk replies "You haven't got my fucking entrance music that's why". I explained The Cov Skydome charged a ridiculous amount extra for playing copyright music so Ralph had produced entrance music for all the wrestlers to eliminate this cost. Cue Punk's "Well that ain't my fucking music so I'm not going out there". We went back and forth for a bit longer with him continuing to be an unreasonable dick (IMO) and getting more aggressive by the second until I finally snapped back "Fine, Joe can go out there alone and he'll probably be a better match by himself anyway". Punk obviously did end up going out there and the two had what I was told was a rotten match (obviously I wasn't ACTUALLY expecting this, though I hadn't seen any of their matches as they're not my cup of tea nearly everyone raved about the Joe vs Punk matches in ROH and this was their type of audience for the most part). When Punk got back all he did was go off on one about the ring making it impossible to have a good match. I don't know if pressure got to him for wrestling infront of 3500 people at that point in his career or what but he was just 'on one' then.

Yep...

Surely common decency would dictate that you ask the man for a photo before touching him, no? The fact that he didn't just walk off after pulling your mate up would suggest that he's actually the opposite of a prick.

• Paid Members
I explained The Cov Skydome charged a ridiculous amount extra for playing copyright music so Ralph had produced entrance music for all the wrestlers to eliminate this cost.

Obviously Alex Shane thought it was worth paying to have Enter Sandman playing at Universal Uproar at the same venue eight months later. It's dubbed with stock production music on the DVD, obviously wary of action from Metallica, the most litigious band in the history of man. Horrifically Kobashi's "Blazin" is also overdubbed, as if anybody in Japanese wrestling would know/care it was featured on the DVD of a Britwres show.

The whole "dubbing over entrance themes" fiasco really frustrates me. You cannot tell me that any band on Earth would actually find that a DVD showing a pro wrestler coming to the ring with one of their songs playing would be detrimental to their record sales. (well, other than the highly unlikely scenario of the wrestling working a child molester gimmick or something) If anything, I've gotten into some bands and become more likely to buy their work from hearing a wrestler use their song as an entrance theme. It's like free publicity.

But yeah, Punk at the aforementioned show. He seemed in pretty high spirits at the post-show meet and greet. The pressure beforehand may have been a factor in his prior hostility.

If it was Ralph that had been responsible for Styles' music (although he had previously used the same track in his FWA appearances), he did a pretty good homage to "Touched" by Vast which had been his indy entrance theme before Dale Oliver did "I Am" for him in TNA.

The whole "dubbing over entrance themes" fiasco really frustrates me. You cannot tell me that any band on Earth would actually find that a DVD showing a pro wrestler coming to the ring with one of their songs playing would be detrimental to their record sales. (well, other than the highly unlikely scenario of the wrestling working a child molester gimmick or something) If anything, I've gotten into some bands and become more likely to buy their work from hearing a wrestler use their song as an entrance theme. It's like free publicity.

By the same token, bands should let advertisers use their songs for nothing. But if someone wants to use your music to push their product, and you're a signed band that knows your music is worth something, you're probably not just going to give it away for nothing... Especially to companies that are spending money on other things. International Showdown had some budget behind it. Wrestling companies aren't charities, and CM Punk and Musawa's flights weren't donated for free by the airlines in exchange for a plug. If you're Metallica (or especially if you're in a band that's not quite as rich), then even if you're best mates with the guy running a wrestling show, you'd feel a bit cheated giving him your stuff for nothing and seeing how much he's throwing at other aspects of the show.

Edit: Plus yeah, it's the labels that own the recordings, isn't it?

Archived