Wrestlers Being Pricks

L_E_T_H_A_L

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is strange that he was that bothered about it. Someone mentioned Cena signing a CM Punk shirt as an example - does anyone reckon that in that scenario, Cena would refuse to sign it? I can only imagine he'd make some joke about the situation and then oblige.

Depends who it is. If you are a John Cena or a Hogan someone who likes to give off a good vibe at autograph session they'll sign anything and chat away to you. Anytime I've seen a Hulk Hogan autograph session, he'd getting people in headlocks and doing the 2 Sweet sign and all sorts of shite. As a master worker (or even someone with low self esteem who wants the love back from the supporters), he'll not be a dick to fans. The Hurricane of all people said Hogan and Savage told him in WCW "people don't pay to see what you look like at home". That's why you always used to see Hogan and Savage wearing the weight lifting belts and the bandanas and the spandex pants when they did press pieces and autograph sessions. Whenever you see them, they are in gimmick. Even when he was fucking that bird on camera, he had the hair extensions in. Its all about making the fans believe in the person, so they'd never be a dick to a fan. The old school mentality is that when you are greeted by a fan you are on the clock. So Cena would never refuse to sign a CM Punk or a TL Hopper shirt. AJ Styles on the other hand probably alienated a fan who might have bought a 8x10 of him or a t-shirt at his next appearance. There's no excuse to be a prick to a wrestling fan. They are all potential customers. That early-to-mid 2000s TNA/ROH/indy lot all seem to be like this though. You hear all kinds about Austin Aries, Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, CM Punk, Low Ki, Colt Cabana and those lot being utter knobs.

I noticed that too. I think it comes with the fact that old-school guys were brought up by professionals to be professionals, they see punters as cash notes that must be treated properly or else they can't make millions. The guys you mentioned ended up being the ones who made it from a generation of smarky fans, so deep inside they still perceive the other fans as "poor fuckers who didn't make it coz they are not cool as we are". Obviously there might be other situations where the "new guys" are actually MORE professional, such as their attitude to drugs, alcohol and heay ribs. And I'm sure most of them are actually alright guys. But in terms of dealing with "marks", well, I get this feeling that smarkiness is still somewhat present in them.

• Moderators

For the sake of argument though - the fans that wrestlers have to deal with these days are a much smarkier bunch of entitled dickheads than were around back then. It doesn't excuse them, but is worth noting as a contributing factor to the shift in attitudes, I think.

• 4 years later...

More humblebrag from Chris Jericho.

On how iconic The List has become: “I started doing this thing on WWE, where if someone was doing something wrong I would put them on [the list], and you never know what’s going to stick with people. The List became this iconic, they’re selling clipboards at the merch stand, and now Chris Jericho, all these great matches and all of these years of high intensity and physicality… it’s all been boiled down to a stupid clipboard.”

https://411mania.com/wrestling/chris-jericho-reflects-iconic-list-become-discusses-following-dreams/

I always thought it funny how jealous of HHH Jericho was; always making snide comments about him in his books and interviews, e.g. HHH wasn't a star, he was the guy who worked with the stars.

This coming from the guy who X-Pac had to teach how to work.

They had great matches on Raw and at Fully Loaded, but it's not like Jericho was setting the world on fire in the ring on the reg back then.

Average enough match at NWO with Angle, considering Angle was knocking the ball out of the park with everyone from Stasiak to Tazz beforehand, underwhelming matches at WrestleMania and Summerslam considering the talent involved, mediocre matches with Kane and X-Pac etc... etc...

Well into 2001 I remember him being butchered in Power Slam magazine for his matches being botchfests, the match with Rhyno at Summerslam being one of many; granted he began the year well wrestling Benoit at the Royal Rumble.

Why would this guy dog on HHH?

As well as the matches with Jericho in that 1-2 year timeframe, HHH had classic matches with Mick Foley, Kurt Angle, The Rock, Chris Benoit, Steve Austin and Tazz! off the top of my head.

Moving on to 2002, I distinctly remember Jericho's successive matches with Austin and HHH at NWO, WM and Judgment Day almost putting me to sleep before he moved down the card a bit.

Similarly to 2000 when he only raised his game against HHH, in 2001-2002 he could seemingly only raise his game against The Rock.

Am I the only one who thinks he's incredibly overrated? I can't remember many Jericho matches worth hunting down between 2003-2005, save for the obvious (Shawn Michaels WM); I certainly can't think of many where he helped a lesser wrestler raise his game, as opposed to working with a Rock, HHH, Benoit level talent.

While we're on the topic of wrestlers being pricks, I thought it was incredibly prickish how he interjected himself into Christian's feud with Cena in 2005 so he could derail Christian's momentum in order to give himself a big payday and a grand sendoff against Cena at Summerslam (in yet another underwhelming match).

So what about it? 

Am I on to something, or do I just have a bug up my arse when it comes to Jericho?

• Paid Members

Fuck me, did Jericho piss in your cornflakes or something? I don't think what he said was prickish to be honest and he makes a very good point. He HAS had great matches and yet a clipboard gets him over.

Also, on the Cena/Christian feud, I really don't think he actually interjected himself into the feud. He was booked to.

Wasn't the problem that he didn't know how to work WWF style, the ring, the camera, the type of workers and expected performance was all different. Not to mention the apparent faux pas he made at the beginning of his run in 1999.

If this thread is about wrestlers being pricks though, I met him backstage at a Fozzy gig a few years ago thanks to a mutual friend. He was pleasant enough with me but guarded. I've heard how he is on the road and he can be a bit of an odd ball from stories i've heard but generally decent. When we met him we hung out and drank a few beers with the other members of the band and the support as they came in and out while sorting stuff to leave, Jericho did take about 45 minutes of "me" time in a side room before he decided to pop out and say hi for a photo op. Thought that was decent enough for essentially what was a couple of uninvited guests into his private space after he had finished working for the night. Don't think we spoke about wrestling at all though. 

3 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Fuck me, did Jericho piss in your cornflakes or something? I don't think what he said was prickish to be honest and he makes a very good point. He HAS had great matches and yet a clipboard gets him over.

Also, on the Cena/Christian feud, I really don't think he actually interjected himself into the feud. He was booked to.

I'm pretty sure I remember reading at the time that Jericho went to the writers and pitched his involvement in the feud, which, if true, really curtailed Christian's momentum, and ultimately led to him going to TNA a few months later.

That's almost as irritating to hear as HHH getting Shawn to campaign for him to replace Rock at WM 99 against Austin.

It's the classic holding down of an upcoming wrestler in order to keep your spot.

There was no need for a third wheel to be added to that feud IMO, fans were red hot for Christian.

• 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, NoUseforaUsername said:

Ric Flair calling Teddy Long a "n****r" to his face repeatedly in WCW ranks pretty high in terms of wrestlers being pricks.

I spoke to a guy in a record shop who no longer watches wrestling because of Triple H/Ric Flair being pricks to him years ago in a hotel lobby.

The story goes that Flair & Triple H were sat down, having a meeting of sorts. The guy in question waited patiently from a distance & when it became apparent that the meeting had ended, he approached them both to get his programme signed. Triple H takes the pen that has been handed to him & snaps it in two, then hands it back saying "Sorry, the pen is broken", Flair laughs loudly & they both leave him standing there.

Archived