Favourite insider wrestling terms...

IronSheik

Guys like Alex Ferguson and Jose Morinho use wrestling psychology when they cut promos in the build up and aftermath of matches. They're both very self-aware, and know exactly when to turn heel or babyface at the right time. They're both good at burying opposition managers and players, likewise they know how to get players over if they're lacking confidence.

I listen to them both sometimes and think - he's 'working' that interview or press conference, likewise I sometimes think wow he's shooting there... I think Sir Alex Ferguson is a walking gimmick, when he retires I think he'll say "I didn't really think that ref had it in for us, I was just manipulating the situation to motivate the players etc...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are a few insider terms that I use in non wrestling conversations; for example 'get over' which I use a fair bit Ie 'the point i'm trying to get over is..'. Then there's 'heat' which I interchange with the word 'beef' when I see an argument at work or confrontation on a night out.

And although it's not a specific insider wrestling term per se but Ric Flair's 'to be the man you gotta beat the man!' especially as I would use it regularly at school to non wrestling friends when playing wembley and whenever I'd win or score a wondergoal.

Had a great convo with my mate at the pub on Friday night. We're both big wrestling fans, and we have this running gag of pretending to hit each other with the Stunner/RKO at random intervals. At the end of the night, we were all dancing, and another mate started doing the Worm. So I pulled my mate aside and said, "Hit me with the Stunner, I'll sell it, then Dave can hit me with the Worm." We cleared it with the security guards we were friendly with, but I daresay I couldn't use "sell" in that context with many people.

• Paid Members
Guys like Alex Ferguson and Jose Morinho use wrestling psychology when they cut promos in the build up and aftermath of matches. They're both very self-aware, and know exactly when to turn heel or babyface at the right time. They're both good at burying opposition managers and players, likewise they know how to get players over if they're lacking confidence.

I listen to them both sometimes and think - he's 'working' that interview or press conference, likewise I sometimes think wow he's shooting there... I think Sir Alex Ferguson is a walking gimmick, when he retires I think he'll say "I didn't really think that ref had it in for us, I was just manipulating the situation to motivate the players etc...

Have you taken leave of your senses?

I tried really hard to no-sell this thread, but fuck it, this is a shoot.

Hearing wrestling 'insider' terms being used in normal conversation is about the most toe-curling experience I can think of. I remember a time when one of my wife's mates had a new boyfriend who came round ours for food one night. Conversation got on to X Factor or Britains Got Talent and he said about one of the contestants 'I hate it when Simon Cowell tries to turn them heel if he doesn't want them to win', and I fucking knew it. I dunno of I'd left a DVD out of the cupboard or she'd told him I was a wrestling fan, but whatever the situation was, I wasn't rising to it. He did again a few more times on future visits but thankfully they broke up anyway because he was a cunt. Not strictly because of this, but I certainly considered it in the reasons why.

To end this post on a slightly more positive note, I must just be thick because I'd never once considered the wordplay in clean/dusty finish. Pretty nice, that.

Hearing wrestling 'insider' terms being used in normal conversation is about the most toe-curling experience I can think of. I remember a time when one of my wife's mates had a new boyfriend who came round ours for food one night. Conversation got on to X Factor or Britains Got Talent and he said about one of the contestants 'I hate it when Simon Cowell tries to turn them heel if he doesn't want them to win', and I fucking knew it. I dunno of I'd left a DVD out of the cupboard or she'd told him I was a wrestling fan, but whatever the situation was, I wasn't rising to it. He did again a few more times on future visits but thankfully they broke up anyway because he was a cunt. Not strictly because of this, but I certainly considered it in the reasons why.

Off topic but mildly related - I hate when someone 'clocks' you as a wrestling fan and thinks it's okay to behave like this. I got "BEST IN THE WORLD!" shouted at me TWICE in the cinema once because I was stupid enough to wear a CM Punk shirt. Yes, I like what you like, but that doesn't mean I like you.

For the most part I use the phases ironically to wind up my wife (who despises everything about wrestling)... Or as a bit of nerd banter with my bro-in-law and my mate (who vaguely know some of the words) but 'rib' and 'heat have now entered my day to day vocabulary and people at work seem to understand what I'm on about...

• Paid Members

'Rib' isn't a fucking wrestling term, though. It's been used for decades in all walks of life.

I'm really glad I don't work with you as well. You sound worse than Colin Hunt.

Archived