Favourite insider wrestling terms...

IronSheik

I love insider wrestling terms to the point where I use them in non-wrestling context...

Shoot - is a great term. I use it when watching crap reality TV to wind up my wife... Kevin Nash uses the word shoot continuously in his interviews and it sounds cool as... "I said okay, if we wanna have a shoot match that's fine with me, but I ain't doing a fuckin D.Q."

No-sell - I love no-selling shit in my day to day life... If anyone thinks they're got on up on you, there's nothing more satisfying than no-selling it. In wrestling I'm fascinated by worked no-selling i.e. Goldberg squash matches / Warrior v HHH at wrestlemania and shoot no-selling i.e. Vince and WWE pretending the whole Madusa belt in the bucket thing never happened, or when guys no-sell the other guys offence, just to be dicks...

There are so many cool insider words, Anyone else have any favourites?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I do find "no-selling" to be a useful term in quite a few non-wrestling contexts as it's a nice quick way to explain an idea. Obviously I'd only use it in conversation with the select few friends I have who already know what it means. Dropping it into conversation as if it's something normal people say and then having to explain it would be insane behaviour. If a character in a video game or film doesn't react to getting hit is an obvious use, but also if a massive revelation or cutting comment gets missed or doesn't get a big enough reaction. Also if someone gets insulted and either gives a quickfire deadpan response or gets completely whooshed they can be considered to have no-sold it.

Or if someone misses a joke or pun and continues talking as if it didn't happen. Oh, and if you're talking to someone and they drop a spoonerism or mentally tune out for a second and says something that makes no sense whatsoever but you give them a break and try to move past it without calling them on it. Lastly, if an obnoxious person says something that is either designed to shock or is a thinly veiled request for you to ask them follow up questions and you don't bite, that too is no-selling.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Strawb is a wank term adopted by BritWres twats. It was originally military slang. Probably closer to 100% of people that actually use it are knobs.

I do use some wrestling slang in regular conversations with my mates, who are already familiar with the terms. To attempt to do it outside of that little bubble would be ridiculous.

I've adopted the word 'rib' into my normal vocabulary, as I'm sure I was aware of the phrase before I heard wrestlers say it, but that confuses people some times when I say "I'm only ribbing yae"...

I love seeing shit on TV and saying 'That's a "work"' as it's a great phrase, plus it annoys my wife.

'mark' is an interesting term. Can be negative phrase as well as a meaning fan. I don't use that phrase ever, but I like it.

"worked-shoot" is probably my all time favourite wrestling phrase, and often the most exciting angles.

Why do guys like cornette use the word 'deal' to describe everything? I understand what they mean, but I don't get why they use the word 'deal'?

Scott Hall loves the word gimmick, when he was in hospital the other month he talked about having a gimmick placed inside him by a doctor hahaha... Love it.

• Paid Members

I catch myself using the word "Jojo" in the same way Jericho described Kevin Nash as using it for anything small-time in A Lion's Tale.

"What do you mean, they don't have any hot dogs? This is fucking Jojo!"

The worst by far is "strawb". At least 75% of people who use that are bellends.

What does that mean? Honestly never heard that one before.

I always get a laugh out of 'Russo like' or 'Russorefic' probably because I've never been invested in a promotion his had his hands on. I can just read message boards or listen to review a Wai and chuckle at the silliness and insanity of it all.

I've always liked the baddies so 'heel' and 'turn' sound cool and badass. 'THE Cena Turn' has an aura about it. Delicious.

'Marking out' is the worst. If a decent poster says it, I cringe. If a shit poster says it, it further cements their standing. The one good thing about the term is that it got Matt Striker sacked off proper commentary.

I use "don't get hot" when someone gets angry, I'll occasionally use no-sell as well in the same context as other posters above. Those two kind of make sense by themselves. I'm going to use "d'you want me to shoot on you?" at the start of a fight one day.

Archived