The Star Trek thread

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

Since I was very young I have been a big fan of Star Trek. My mum used to watch TOS I guess growing up, and then TNG and I got it from her. I wouldn't class myself as a Trekkie. I don't own any Star Trek memorabilia and I don't go to Star Trek conventions or any of that shit. But TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager and, yes, even Enterprise will always have a special place in my heart.

So, this thread is for fans of the pre-reboot incarnation of Star Trek to have a good old chin wag about the shows. Favorite series? Favorite Captain? Favorite first officer? No, I'm joking, Riker is obviously the best of that lot.

Also, the films up until Nemesis can also be discussed here. I think most people say Wrath of Khan as the best of that bunch but I have a soft spot for Star Trek V: The Final Frontier just because it's pretty mental.

The reason that I'm not including the the rebooted version is that, while I enjoyed Star Trek and will probably enjoy Into Darkness, there is something about what came before those that grabs me more.

Anyway, the floor is yours.

• Paid Members

Here's the thing with Enterprise. If you just watch it as a stand alone Star Trek series based in the Star Trek universe and try to put aside all the shit you mention, it's actually quite good. The characters are really likeable and once they get past the whole "monster of the week" type stuff, they have some good story arcs. But, far to much time travel shit.

• Paid Members

Fair enough :)

DS9 is probably my favorite series as well. Actually, the first season or two I found horribly dull, but it got very, very good once you had the Founders and the Dominion as all. I always say, DS9 started peaking the minute Sisco shaved his head a grew a badass goatee. TNG is more one where I'd dip in and out now and then, not having to watch in order. Voyager is another one that was kind of dull until the later seasons.

I have not seen all of TOS and I really want to.

Fair enough :)

DS9 is probably my favorite series as well. Actually, the first season or two I found horribly dull, but it got very, very good once you had the Founders and the Dominion as all. I always say, DS9 started peaking the minute Sisco shaved his head a grew a badass goatee. TNG is more one where I'd dip in and out now and then, not having to watch in order. Voyager is another one that was kind of dull until the later seasons.

I have not seen all of TOS and I really want to.

DS9 kicked into gear once Worf joined. Not that he was solely responsible, but the episodes that started his time there marked a more continuous story arc that the show sorely needed.

Me and the missus are working our way through Voyager again at the moment, currently coming up to the end of season 4. I think seven of nine is a pretty dull character, all told. Axing Kes instead of Kim was a huge, huge mistake by the producers. Or even Neelix for God's sake. Kes was a good character, had lots of depth. And she was pretty without wearing a catsuit. Seven is just tits and monotone delivery. I know that's her character, but still. It's alright for a bit but gets a bit meh after a while.

DS9 has the best ensemble and probably my favourite episodes out of all the franchises. But it pains me to say, it's just not as good as Babylon 5, which is the ultimo daddy of space station story telling. Never mind that, though. Garak is the don.

• Paid Members
Kes was the worst. I pretty much thought Voyager got good once she fucked off.

I think we'll just have to agree that you're wrong.

No, you're wrong.

I love Voyager but i've never got over how awful the ending was.

No, you're wrong.

I love Voyager but i've never got over how awful the ending was.

It was all a bit of a muchness after season 6. Particularly that Fairhaven run of holodeck episodes. Pure shit.

Archived