Sign in to follow this  
Devon Malcolm

Devon Malcolm's Foreign Film Ponce-A-Rama

2 minutes ago, Rossman said:

Had a flick through Mubi. I thought they only showed the few films they had on their homepage. There's loads of amazing films in their library.

I watched The Servant last week. Dirk Bogarde stars as the titular character in a psychological drama / thriller. Very impressed with Joseph Losey's direction.

Purple Noon was another film I really enjoyed. The original Talented Mr. Ripley. Alain Delon pours charisma in this, sanctimonious levels of cool. A Mediterranean stylish crime thriller.

They had a Joseph Losey season recently. The Go-Between is great, as is Mr. Klein and Accident, but Eva was shit. Great director though, The Criminal was excellent too but I'd say The Servant was his best.

3 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Thanks very much!  Now to set a reminder to cancel the Scribd subscription in a month!!

1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

Thanks for the tip. No idea where to start now.

A Portrait of a Lady On fire

It's probably the most high profile recent film they have on there but it's absolutely gorgeous, easily one of the best 2019 films I've seen.

5 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Thanks very much!  Now to set a reminder to cancel the Scribd subscription in a month!!

You can cancel it right away and still have the sub run until June.

9 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

What sort of thing you looking for?

That's the problem really. I'm up for anything. Always had a varied taste. So happy to try anything anyone rates highly on there!

30 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

That's the problem really. I'm up for anything. Always had a varied taste. So happy to try anything anyone rates highly on there!

For a variety, start with Portrait of a Lady on Fire, then try Mother (it's the Korean one), Gimme the Loot, Army of Shadows and Persepolis. All brilliant films but all very different.

On Mubi, if you can get your hands on a decent VPN (what's a good working one right now?) then their country variations in terms of catalogues are quite large. Gets you even more value out of your free year.