Devon Malcolm's Foreign Film Ponce-A-Rama

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Appreciate these Youtube links!

If you're looking for a Hong Kong film, I'd suggest the very bloody and controversial "

".

Film is very harsh though, especially that live cat eaten by rats scene. Nobody knows categorically if that scene was faked, which is worrying. Nasty stuff.

"Men Behind the Sun" Wiki

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

I love

Antonio Banderas plays a plastic surgeon who has created a new synthetic skin that can withstand all damage. Without giving the plot away, he captures a guinea pig (not an actual one) and tests his 'new skin'. From there shit gets weird.

I've not sold it particularly well there, but I don't want to give away any plot or psychology of the movie. Just give it a chance as it's visually stunning, very intense and well told and Banderas will make you go weak at the knees.

• Paid Members

If you like that then you should check out the old French film Eyes Without A Face. Amazing stuff.

Didn't finish The Return yet as I fell asleep, bit underwhelmed by its first half, though.

I know most of you are turned on to Takeshi Kitano, but I had never seen Hanna Bi until about 6 months ago, and now I can't stop thinking about it. One of the most emotionally poignant films I've seen. Emotional poignance, and lots of shooting of course. Really something.

• Paid Members

I can't find Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion anywhere, so I'll throw these in the mix as they're probably the two 'foreign' flicks that stand out the most in my cranium:

This flick stayed with me for months. Just a devastating lead female performance. And Anthony Quinn is fantastic as ever...

I used to think Rabid Dogs was Mario Bava's best flick, until I saw this. Magnificent stuff...

Twitch of the Death Nerve

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members

Those are the only two Bava films I've seen and I didn't really like either of them! I think either I'm going to end up not being a Bava fan or I just haven't found the film of his I like.

On a different note, I'd recommend Le Professionel. Jean-Paul Belmondo is brilliant in it and it's a superb spy action film. You might recognise the theme as well:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DSzGQVTTRs

• Moderators

Where's the proper foreign films? You know, ones that have a tap dripping for half an hour then some hairy french vaginas? Basically anything shown at midnight on Channel 4 in the mid 90s.

Where's the proper foreign films? You know, ones that have a tap dripping for half an hour then some hairy french vaginas? Basically anything shown at midnight on Channel 4 in the mid 90s.

Try

The Isle (2001) SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Fish hooks meet vagina's

The Isle isn't for the squeamish, some real (VERY) nasty things happen to fish and also a few people get hurt

Korea Day

Memories Of Murder (2003)

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (2002)

The Good The Bad The Weird (2008)

Lady Vengeance (2005)

Edit: With the tension in North/South Korea over the last few weeks everyone should watch J.S.A. Joint Security Area

Edited by ultimo the great

• Paid Members

Park Chan-Wook is hugely overrated, I think. Aside from Oldboy, which is overrated itself, I've thought all his films were nothing more than alright. JSA was a disappointment in particular.

Butch, The Return is EXACTLY that type of film - almost nothing happens, almost nothing is resolved and is very boring.

I enjoyed Oldboy until the absolutely ludicrous finale killed it. The only other Chan-Wook film I have seen is Thirst which other than a few scenes is perhaps the most boring vampire film I have seen.

Those two experiences have put me off ever watching another of his films.

• Moderators

I swear I'm the only person who can't be fucked with asian cinema. I'm more of a The 400 Blows kind of guy. Man Bites Dog is also a favourite of mine, possibly because it contains the most bizarrely cheerful rape scene of all time. "CINEMA! CINEMAAAAAAAAAAA!"

• Paid Members

Not sure if you are old enough to remember the "Red Triangle" films on channel 4 in the mid-80's. Normally on after midnight on a Friday, they had a red trianngle superimposed in the top left hand corner. Normally it meant that you had to sit through 3 hours of arty shite just to see a bit of nip. Sometimes you didn't even get that, as the triangle was there if they threw the occasional "Fuck" in.