UFC 160: 'Velasquez vs Bigfoot 2'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Re - DJM

Yeah I think it's time Khabib gets a step up and a top 10 opponent. Actually, I think Khabib vs Dos Anjos or Tibau could be awesome.

As for Glover, he's saying he wants the winner of Rashad vs Hendo. I like that either way. If it's Rashad we should get to see Glover's wrestling really tested, and if it's Hendo...Hendo vs Glover! How wild does that fight sound? A win over a name like Rashad or Hendo would put Glover in that #1 contender spot for me.

I don't know if Glover and Machida would fight each other. They're pretty good friends and have trained together as recently as Glover's camp for Rampage. I really don't know where Machida goes next. Everyone is pairing off and he's left hanging about like a spare bollock. Wonder why they've seemingly switched plans from Jones vs Machida 2 to Jones vs Gusty.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cain & JDS looked great. I thought JDS would take Hunt down and pound on him rather than stand with Hunt for the majority of the fight. What a finish, great stuff from JDS. Cain/JDS 3 has to come next, both were really impressive and it's the obvious choice. No one else really deserves a shot at the moment, these two could meet a lot over the next few years.

Grant is on a charge at the moment, Maynard looked good in the first minute but Grant finished him nicely. I'm happy I was wrong in this one. I hope they stick with what they said and give Grant the shot, he deserves it after this run at lightweight.

Nurmagomedov's grappling looked top class, Trujilo could do fuck all about it and was thrown around for 3 rounds. Nurmagomedov already beat Tibau last year Wand, the Dos Anjos fight should be made though, that could be a great scrap.

I'm also hoping we get Cerrone vs Josh Thomson or Cerrone vs Varner 3.

Be happy with either of those. The former is tasty as it's a new fighter and the latter is with the history between the two. Also Cerrone's hardly ever in a bad fight.

I may be in the minority here, but I'd love to see Hunt vs Roy Nelson. That would be a fun fight for sure.

Doubt you are in the minority, people have talked about that fight for a while. I'd like to see the two chins and power of both tested.

• Paid Members

I'd love to see it as well, and after Roy's last fight Dana did say he liked Hunt or Cormier as potential opponents. The problem is Hunt just got knocked out and Roy's on a streak of first round KOs. so they will probably think it doesn't make sense.

Plus Roy's fighting Miocic and it's the last fight on his current contract. Who knows how the renegotiations will go. I would love to see Nelson vs Hunt though.

I may be in the minority here, but I'd love to see Hunt vs Roy Nelson. That would be a fun fight for sure.

It would be a fun fight, but I see them at different levels in the division at the moment. Nelson is a win (or two) from a title shot, Hunt isn't. I could see them doing Hunt/Barry, if Barry wins against Shawn Jordan next month.

The last thing in the world Dana would want is Roy Nelson as Champion. Sponsors treat Nelson like he is the plague and despite fans loving him, I doubt Dana wants to put him on a billboard with Roy's husky physique and neckbeard. It would not shock me if Dana cut him loose if he loses to Stipe, which maybe a hard fight for Nelson. Jon Fitch proves Dana will get rid for a lot less.

Anyway, last night.

Cain just did what he needed to do. I actually felt a tad sorry for Big Foot as he walked to the cage as I doubt many thought he would get past the 2nd round let alone win. Cain made no mistakes and put Big Foot away early. That was the best thing to do for Cain, as when fighting someone as lightly regarded as Big foot was going into this fight, people will critic the favorite more if the lesser known opponent becomes more competitive than they should be.

JDS was simply a marvel. Other than a dangerous flurry from Hunt against the cage in the second round where JDS should have not let himself become backed into the corner, JDS was pretty flawless. Hunt was game and has a chin of granite and landed quite well on a few occasions, but JDS always had two steps in front points wise. The takedown in the second was a very smart move, the finish was a thing on beauty and a risk JDS did not have to take. I favor Cain in the third meeting with JDS, but I welcome it at this stage. Cormier will not fight Cain and who else is there? Barnett needs a win or two and Nelson for reasons mentioned is unlikely to get a chance.

Glover showing off his grappling and submission chops was impressive, and his love of Mike Tyson was a lovely touch. Grant arrived in a big way also, that was impressive when you account it took 3 fights for Edgar to knock Maynard silly, it took Grant one round. Bendo vs Grant may not have marquee value, but it could do as a FOX Main Event.

Cracking Main Card, well worth watching.

I hate Mark Hunt and was dreading that fight. From what I've seen (based only on his UFC fights, never seen his K1 or Pride stuff) he is fucked 7 minutes into any fight. His mouth was wide open taking deep breaths around that time last night and his movement got even slower and flat-footed than it was to start with. I remember having that same reaction to his fight with Stefan Struve earlier this year and I think it was the same when he went two rounds last year against Rothwell.

Some fans and even Dana White knock Roy Nelson for not getting in good shape, but on top of having huge knockout power and a good chin to take big punches, he has the whole BJJ thing going for him. Hunt just seems totally one dimensional to me, and the thought of him landing one on JDS filled me with dread. There were times when JDS backed into the cage, at times right in a corner, I thought he was going to take a big shot but luckily it never came.

• Paid Members

Man, dopper, I think you're the first person I've ever seen say they hate Mark Hunt :)

I can't disagree that he's one dimensional but to be fair he didn't get into MMA until he was about 30 after being a pure striker his whole career. He's had to learn the ground game from scratch and he's made improvements there. He's bound to be one dimensional to some extent, Demian Maia has gone through a similar transition from BJJ, but he got into MMA much younger than Hunt so he's had longer to adapt.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Hunt. You know what you're getting with him, it's not pretty but he'll basically just go in and try to knock your head off until he either succeeds or gasses trying. Like a fat Dan Henderson.

I hear you on the last sentence, the way JDS kept backing onto the cage I was having flashbacks to when Cain clobbered him against the cage and half expected Hunt to repeat it.

The last two main events for UFC PPV shows have been a joke. TJ Grant looked good and showed some serious power in his hands. Dos Santos looked good too but hard to judge against someone who is made for him. I'm guessing he gets a shot next at Velasquez.

• Paid Members
The last two main events for UFC PPV shows have been a joke.

How can you say it was a joke? Antonio Silva earned that crack at Cain, it might not have worked out for him but he deserved his chance. Cain just took him out.

On the subject of Mark Hunt, i'd also like to see him drop a few pounds and work on his cardio. The fight with JDS was great fun but Hunt just gives himself little shot outside of landing that big punch coming in in such poor shape. I guess it's a case of getting by in that shape in the past but if you look at his UFC run he's struggled down the stretch in all of them, the JDS fight was hardly fought at break neck pace and Hunt was doomed going into round 3.

I didn't see anything from JDS that makes me think he has any chance of beating Cain other than landing one of them insane over hand rights again. The guy showed unbelievable character to come back from such a beating and fought Hunt in a way many people didn't think he would but i see Cain destroying him again.

It sounds like im ragging on it, but i thought it was a great fight :laugh:

* TJ Grant is the man. I wanted him to win but it's hard to look past Gray Maynard, TJ came in was getting tagged but composed himself and just unloaded, he's one of the most unlikely UFC title contenders in years but it's an awesome story, who ever would have predicted TJ getting to the top when he dropped to 155?

* Glover Teixeira is tremendous, the JDS comparison is valid in terms of likability, an absolute killer in the cage who seems like the nicest guy in the world when he aint smashing someones face...i wouldn't argue if he got the next shot at Jones.

* Cowboy did his thing but it was frustrating watching KJ Noons fight again. I'm a big Noons fan but at times he acts like he doesn't wanna be in there, he's granite tough but he seems to mentally give up throwing offence when he isn't winning, it was a strange performance. I hope he gets one more crack though.

* Prelims were fun, i enjoyed Numagamedov's performance just for the fact that he was manhandling Trujilio with such ease, it wasn't physically damaging but Trujilio must have felt demoralised afterwards.

* Who would have predicted Smith/Whitaker being one of the better fights on the card? not me. Colton Smith pisses me off but i give all credit for biting down and throwing leather against a guy he couldn't takedown, tough cookie. Whitaker looked great.

* I wasn't scoring em both closely but i think i had both the Pyle/Story and Bermudez/Holloway fights going the other ways 29-28 (especially the latter), but in both cases the guy i wanted to win won so i aint moaning.

TJ Grant is the man. I wanted him to win but it's hard to look past Gray Maynard, TJ came in was getting tagged but composed himself and just unloaded, he's one of the most unlikely UFC title contenders in years but it's an awesome story, who ever would have predicted TJ getting to the top when he dropped to 155?

I have a feeling that this fight signals the beginning of the end for Maynard :(

Archived