UFC 160: 'Velasquez vs Bigfoot 2'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Ariel Helwani said on UFC Tonight that the UFC are confident this visa issue with Mark Hunt will be sorted out, but that they've asked Roy Nelson to step in if they can't resolve it.

JDS vs Nelson 2? Would be about the best option available but still, after the way the first fight went it's not a fight that will have people rushing to order the PPV. Which would be bad when the main event is also a rematch of a one sided mauling.

I hope this Hunt/visa stuff gets fixed quick. Hunt has been saying that allowing for the time difference between New Zealand and Vegas, he was hoping to be there early to acclimatise. Every day this drags on eats into that and puts the fight more at risk. I'll be gutted if we lose JDS vs Hunt.

To me Hunt and Nelson may as well be the same fighter, only Nelson has a more seasoned ground game and Hunt's has better striking credentials Both are late 30's, have Knockout power, do not throw many kicks, have great chins, overweight but small for HW. Both also knocked out Kongo and Struve.

That said, Hunt vs JDS does excite me a bit more due to it being fresh, so I hope that happens.

• Paid Members

There's definitely similarities. But, as you say, we haven't seen JDS vs Hunt before. Also, as fun as Roy Nelson is to watch, he's very limited as a striker. He's basically got one punch. Hunt isn't exactly Anthony Pettis in terms of variety as a striker but he is better with his hands, dangerous with both and finds openings better in my opinion.

And considering JDS is primarily a striker, in a striking match Hunt should test him more than Nelson, he gives JDS a little more to worry about I think. So on paper you'd think they make for a more interesting match up, whereas Roy couldn't take JDS down and was outmatched standing, Hunt is a bit better equipped to strike with JDS.

I really hope things stay as they are and we get JDS vs Hunt. I'd still like to see that rumoured Nelson vs Cormier fight as well.

Thank god for that, I like Nelson but he had nothing for JDS last time. I've gone form liking Hunt from his earlier days to loving him during this UFC run. JDS should win, but you just never know, if Hunt lands then it's goodnight JDS.

• Paid Members

I feared the worst when I saw this thread bumped. Thank fuck it's all sorted. JDS vs Hunt is the real main event for me on this show.

JDS vs Nelson 2 would probably have been enjoyable enough but I think it would have hurt the card having two rematches of one sided twattings, headlining and co-headlining the PPV.

I'm really torn on JDS vs Hunt. I'd love to see Hunt's run continue, but I don't want to see JDS lose two in a row. And I want to see JDS back with a bang, but I don't want Hunt's Indian Summer to end. The only negative of the fight is that one has to lose. At least we're pretty much guaranteed a great fight.

I'm really torn on JDS vs Hunt. I'd love to see Hunt's run continue, but I don't want to see JDS lose two in a row. And I want to see JDS back with a bang, but I don't want Hunt's Indian Summer to end. The only negative of the fight is that one has to lose. At least we're pretty much guaranteed a great fight.

Even a loss for Dos Santos won't mean the end for him unless he gets completely smashed. I want Hunt to win, simply because it would be a remarkable comeback story.

I feared the worst when I saw this thread bumped. Thank fuck it's all sorted. JDS vs Hunt is the real main event for me on this show.

Yeah I had the same feeling. The Memorial Day weekend UFC PPV is one one of the biggest regular UFC PPV's and one of my favourites. Looking forward to this show.

Voted in the poll: Velasquez KO in two, dos Santos by decision and Maynard by decision. Not sure who I want to win dos Santos vs. Hunt. dos Santos is really likeable and will want to put on a performance after what happened in his last fight but this Hunt story is something. If Hunt wins, he should get the next tile shot. Still want Hunt vs. Nelson.

EDIT: 21 voted for Velasquez by KO, no votes for anything else. Can't remember that happening in any other MMA poll here. Sometimes there is a rematch to a one sided fight and the rematch produces the exact opposite.

• Paid Members
Even a loss for Dos Santos won't mean the end for him unless he gets completely smashed.

You'd like to think so, but after the decisive and drawn out beating he took from Cain, if he gets KOd by Hunt in his very next fight he might never rebound mentally. I hope I'm wrong.

JDS really should win, I expect he will if he fights smart, but you have to give Hunt a decent shot against any striker in MMA. And we don't know how or if the loss to Cain will have affected JDS. He could come out gunshy, or even over aggressive, both of which could play right into Hunt's hands.

The timing of this fight makes it very interesting in that respect. Fuck it, I'm remaining neutral. It will be bittersweet whatever the result but I get your point Dave, you get the feeling this is Hunt's last big run, whereas JDS should have a good few years yet.

Archived