Promotions that filmed TV, but died on their ass?

truthofsin

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great production for the times, although failed to fill arenas.

- If you think that's great production for 1992, you've obviously never actually seen television!

That's a pretty poor representation of what the main bulk of footage looked like though. It's like saying Summer Sizzler 93 is indicative of what an ECW show looked like and condemning it for not looking like Emmerdale Farm at the time or whatever else happened to be on TV.

Here's a better representation of when things got running:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11s5ATnjGI4

The footage is better looking and better shot, mixed and edited - on the whole more professional - than comparable stuff out there today, 20 years later where technology is cheaper and more readily available. Last I heard, ESPN still shows the footage in the States, and ESPN (as a major television station) adhere to strict broadcast standards. This isn't like Wrestletalk TV getting on a lowly station like Challenge - footage would need to meet a minimum requirement - and that minimum would be broadcast standard.

• Moderators

Yeah, ESPN Classic show the chopped up half hour edits of Fury Hour from ESPN2, but guess what... They still show the shit awful footage from 1992. ESPN Classic has shown loads of shit quality wrestling with poor production values. I honestly don't have a clue why the fuck you'd think fucking ESPN (!) would show 30 minute edits of Fury Hour created in 1995.

Also, your clips weren't a better example of "When things got running". In fact they are from near enough right from the start when Abrams had a bit of money. When they were "running" it got awful and had things like Bruno Sammartino asking Herb Abrams on air why he hires bums. Also, that Bigelow vs Williams match isn't actually indicative of their production values of the Fury Hour TV show, as it was off PPV and not an epsiode of Fury Hour and as I understand it this thread is about TV.

Actually, as I understand it from the first post this thread is about TV shows that didn't get to the air. So UWF doesn't even come into the fucking conversation anyway, as Fury Hour ran on and off for a while.

• Paid Members
The first promotion that came to mind was Wrestling Society X for MTV. Hung around for 1 series, released it on DVD and that was it.

That was aired on MTV though.

I think that was his point, given the topic.

I'll go with Herb Abram's UWF. Great production for the times, although failed to fill arenas. Had a roster of legends, names of the era and future stars - had some luke warm fun shows which are great fun to watch back now, and eventually burned out in a blaze of cocaine induced glory, and Herb's actual death in the presence of hookers. This ladies and gentlemen, gets my vote.

Didn't they have some thing connected to TNA a one point ?

• Moderators
Don't be so sensitive about it and quit swearing, it's not warranted.

Being right isn't being sensitive. And I'll use the words I fucking please, thank you very much. Don't remember you having any say so on what is and isn't warranted on here, so keep it to yourself.

Didn't they have some thing connected to TNA a one point ?

Nah bud, that was Hermie Sadler's UWF.

Was that the one with the Calgary Kids? Looked to have some interesting concepts if so.

Yes, Matrats was Teddy Hart and his crew (Jack Evans, Harry Smith, Tyson Kidd, Natalya Neidhart, etc.). They had a bit of a buzz at the time but the promotion never took off (much like all the other promotions Teddy's been involved in trying to get off and running since then).

How long was NWA Wildside on TV for? I presume it's not still going, it was more or less an early 'OVW' for TNA, wasn't it?

NWA Wildside was on TV for about 5 years. It shut down in 2005 when the owner (Bill Behrens) joined WWE to help run their new developmental company (Deep South). Soon after that NWA Anarchy popped up in its place and it was pretty much the same promotion (the same building, the same names for events, more or less the same roster, same staff) but with a new owner. The promotion is still going on today but it's now called Anarchy Wrestling, after dropping out of the NWA when Bruce Tharpe took it over last year. Also, I guess it's worth pointing out that Gunner, Murphy and Consequences Creed came from Anarchy.

• Paid Members

Cheers. I remember a match from it when David Young beat AJ Styles for a Wildside title, at the time when they were doing that streak with Young in TNA where he hadn't won for about 2 years or something. It was a great match, never understood why TNA didn't do something interesting with Young.

Archived