Promotions that filmed TV, but died on their ass?

truthofsin

I was looking around online today and came across some stuff on TNA's 'All Wheels Wrestling' sister promotion that came to nothing. I completely forgot that they filmed some TV, complete with an Ultimate X when they started out with the project. But the whole thing seems to have just gone ahead and died. So i got thinking about other promotions that shot TV and didn't end up on TV, such as Hogan's XWF.

Are there many other promotions, or wrestling based shows, that were shot for TV but never actually got aired on TV? I'm actually pretty curious about this and figure it could make for a fun thread, as i'm sure there must be a bunch.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't think XWF ever aired on TV did it? Remember being dead up for seeing that at the time as well

Oops sorry, missed where you mentioned it, still a shame it never came to anything, surprised the WWF bothered hurting it like they did, doubt they would've been much competition

• Paid Members

It wasn't Hogan's XWF. It was Jimmy Hart, Brian Knobs and Greg Valentine who ran it. They signed a bunch of old WWF and WCW names and indy talent and filmed pilots at Universal and tried selling it to TV companies. Problem was, everyone on the tape that meant anything were signed by the WWF (Hogan, Lawler, Hennig, Gene Okerlund etc) or had been snapped up when TNA turned up. So by the time Jimmy Hart started shipping the tape around all he really had left was Ian Harrison and Jerry Saggs. And you cant really sell your TV show based on that.

Some promotions tape tv solely to have tapes to shop around. That's what happened with the XWF. Plus in the space of a few months, Jerry Lawler, Hulk Hogan and Curt Hennig all returned to the WWF, so there wasn't much left of the XWF to really buy as an on-going concern except old tapes of a few weeks worth of shows.

Jeff Katz' Wrestling Revolution/Retribution shows spring to mind as something taped that never aired the light of day. Shows funded by Kickstarter ($100k raised), filmed for DVD release, and 18 months later still haven't been released. Read the other day that Katz has finally surfaced after many months, claiming he lost all his money.

It wasn't Hogan's XWF. It was Jimmy Hart, Brian Knobs and Greg Valentine who ran it. They signed a bunch of old WWF and WCW names and indy talent and filmed pilots at Universal and tried selling it to TV companies. Problem was, everyone on the tape that meant anything were signed by the WWF (Hogan, Lawler, Hennig, Gene Okerlund etc) or had been snapped up when TNA turned up. So by the time Jimmy Hart started shipping the tape around all he really had left was Ian Harrison and Jerry Saggs. And you cant really sell your TV show based on that.

My bad, you are completely right. I had the DVD too, so i should have got that right lol.

Hogan and Mr Perfect had a hell of a match in the XWF.

It might be on the Hogan anthology, actually.

Yeah it is, but the match is nothing to write home about frankly. It's only memorable for me because it was the last time Hulk was in Yellow pants pretending to fight.

The first promotion that came to mind was Wrestling Society X for MTV. Hung around for 1 series, released it on DVD and that was it.

That was aired on MTV though.

I think that was his point, given the topic.

I'll go with Herb Abram's UWF. Great production for the times, although failed to fill arenas. Had a roster of legends, names of the era and future stars - had some luke warm fun shows which are great fun to watch back now, and eventually burned out in a blaze of cocaine induced glory, and Herb's actual death in the presence of hookers. This ladies and gentlemen, gets my vote.

Don't think XWF ever aired on TV did it?

The XWF TV episodes that were taped in late 2001 aired in 2002 in Puerto Rico (it was in conjunction with a XWF invasion angle in WWC). They also aired as PPVs in the States but that was a few years later and were later on released as a DVD as well. But yeah, they never aired on regular TV in the States as the promotion was never picked up.

It didn't die on its arse but Live Action Wrestling was an interesting TV anomaly:

If you like Scott Steiner, Buff Bagwell and, er, Rick Steiner, this was the place to see them at the time. Non-existant production values, but star power!

Archived