John Cena injured on European tour

ClassicsGuy

People most certainly felt Brock was being rushed at the time as Short Order Cook said. The King of the Ring tournament was still a big deal - and when he won the thing, when the likes of Jericho who just headlined a Wrestlemania was out in the opener (and then straight on his website to rip the shit out of fans who said he didn't have a good match with RVD - true story) and even RVD (who was super hot at the time) it rubbed people up the wrong way, as if he was being handed the world on a plate.

Even when he won the belt from Rock, he wasn't anywhere near "the man" of the show as so many first time champions are not post 1999. A dud with Taker at Unforgiven didn't help matters, and in most people's eyes he wasn't true top tier until he beat Undertaker in the Cell at No Mercy.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
They have limted dates on Lesnar so why blow through them early on in the year. You need your world champion at house shows and TV and there is no fucking way that Brock Lesnar is going on the road. I know the Rock never went on the road but you had Cena on the house shows to offset that.

They're already "blowing" Lesnar's dates building to the forthcoming match at Extreme Rules, belt involved or not. Your own question made reference to the title being on Lesnar for a "short period of time." Short enough to pop a buyrate, lose the belt then fuck off again. If Cena was hurt enough to miss a PPV, they could justify sacrificing there being title defences on the house shows on the basis they needed something giant on top to offset Cena missing from the PPV, which people are ordering or not ordering NOW. They've already got the money from people with tickets to the house shows, who bought their tickets based on which wrestlers they'd get to see, not on whether they were getting a title match or not. Title defences on house shows are a waste of time anyway, there is zero suspension of disbelief as to the winners for anybody paying attention.

I don't think they'd do it personally, but saying "they won't put the belt on somebody not on the road" is short-sighted when they've already done it once this year for the greater good - that being PPV buys.

• Paid Members

I think they really should have cut a deal with a big former name post-WrestleMania like they did last year. I suppose its only really Batista you could do it with. But if Batista returned, you have have had Cena and Punk off the road and had Ryback vs Batista matches for a month. Even on TV. A months TV worth of Batista and Ryback and the Triple H and Lesnar angle would have been more than enough carrying them through until the other names return.

Mind you, if they hadn't have botched the Ryback push in October, they might have had a ready made star worthy of doing some good business.

Also wasn't Lesnar scheduled for like 35 appearances per year? I don't think he's even made 20 yet.

That's not how it works anyway. If he did go over 35 appearances, he'd be under a deal where he'd negotiate individual dates and be paid accordingly. They aren't on the watch or anything. He could do 35 dates in the next two months and that wouldn't have anything to do with whether or not he'd be at WrestleMania next April.

I still think there's something salvageable in Ryback.

There's just a lot of dirt to dig before they reach the treasure. He cuts a horrible promo, his mouth is all weird, he stares into the distance for no reason and he struggles to reach a point. He gets saddled with shit catchphrases, too, that no matter how over they are with a live audience, they just don't scream 'main event'.

But, his aura is off the charts.

When he's all angry, and looks at someone like he wants to kill them, I believe it.

And, whilst the segment with Foley was utter shite and he ignored everything Foley said, the intensity with which he delivered his '...old bastard' line showed that there is a believable, Batista-like promo in there.

• Paid Members

I don't have a problem with Ryback being a crap promo. If he looks like a roid-fed meathead I'd rather he spoke like that, snorting and panting through the gaps in his sentences like a neanderthal. That all adds to his aura for me. He's not exactly fucked, considering he'll still be a main event guy and no doubt win a world championship in the future, but he's fucked as far as becoming a top tier mega star goes. They blew that way back at Hell In A Cell.

People most certainly felt Brock was being rushed at the time as Short Order Cook said. The King of the Ring tournament was still a big deal - and when he won the thing, when the likes of Jericho who just headlined a Wrestlemania was out in the opener (and then straight on his website to rip the shit out of fans who said he didn't have a good match with RVD - true story) and even RVD (who was super hot at the time) it rubbed people up the wrong way, as if he was being handed the world on a plate.

Even when he won the belt from Rock, he wasn't anywhere near "the man" of the show as so many first time champions are not post 1999. A dud with Taker at Unforgiven didn't help matters, and in most people's eyes he wasn't true top tier until he beat Undertaker in the Cell at No Mercy.

Again, it kinda sounds like you're talking about net fans. And most internet smarks (this place excepted) are morons. I remember the crowds being into him, and I as a casual fan was into him, and in retrospect I think they got his build and push about spot on. Outside of Batista and Cena he's the biggest star they produced in that decade. Not their fault he buggered off too soon.

They've booked Cena and Ryback in a handicap match against The Shield for Raw tonight.

I'm sure I'm wrong, but that looks very much like positioning an injured/suspended guy to get written out. JR has said that carrying on competing in Europe has pushed his injury as far as it'll go, too.

He's either being written out, or they're setting something up with all this.

They've booked Cena and Ryback in a handicap match against The Shield for Raw tonight.

I'm sure I'm wrong, but that looks very much like positioning an injured/suspended guy to get written out. JR has said that carrying on competing in Europe has pushed his injury as far as it'll go, too.

He's either being written out, or they're setting something up with all this.

It's been booked since last week, so it's purely coincidental.

If Cena is injured, they should put the belt on the line during this and have The Shield win it. They can freebird it or have them defend purely in 6-Man Tag Team Matches. If you look at it logically, they are the only ones built strong enough and still around to hold it at the moment. Plus they're the highlight of the show. Fuck it, take a gamble make it more interesting. Cena vs. Shield for the WWE Title leading up to Summerslam could be interesting. As could the potential 3-way split of power over who gets the belt - it could make Ambrose look evil, Reigns into the next Batista and Rollins into the Justin Gabriel spot. Rollins needs to pray he remains in The Shield, I can't see him as a main event face but his entire offence is of a face.

Archived