Best memories of wrestling on VHS

TheShowOff

• Paid Members
Sapp these days travels around the world picking up big cheques to headline random MMA shows...no harm in that? you may think, but he basically throws the fights, he runs in throws a punch and if it doesn't land looks to take a dive and tap out from strikes, it's fucking ridiculous and it keeps happening. If you wanna see any of these debacles hit Youtube and have a look, it aint pretty.

He also still occasionally wrestles. He wrestled on the CHAOS teams (in New Japan) in multi-man clusterfucks at Wrestle Kingdom in January and Invasion Attack on Mania day. Decent name to make up the numbers. It's a notable step up from his last contribution, getting rolled up by Danshoku Dino in DDT after Dino had kissed him.

Still, could have been worse, getting in the ring with Dino.

tumblr_mowbio84gN1svsahho1_250.jpg

A lot worse.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Dirty Eddie - That's the thing, Sapp was never great but in his early fights he at least used to try. The Nogueira fight in Pride was awesome David vs Goliath stuff for example. Somewhere along the line though, he became content to become the world's most expensive MMA jobber.

Actually, Big Show vs Bob Sapp as the third fight on the Lewis vs Lesnar/Angle vs Moorer PPV would have been worth tuning in for. No doubt Sapp would have wanted a Tyson-huge payoff though.

How come he never went into rasslin full time then? Is he just terrible at it? I'm surprised once his MMA career was done (at a decent level) he didn't just become a full-time wrestler.

I kept expecting to hear him linked with WWE or TNA, and it never happened.

• Paid Members

He was offered a deal with WWE but turned it down over money. They detailed several months of storylines for him during the negotiations. They then used exactly the same storylines for Bobby Lashley instead.

• Paid Members

Great look, great personality, massive, likable, awesome Barry White voice. He was a huge star in Japan as said. I think one of his fights set some absolutely mental ratings record one new year's eve (without checking it was something ridiculous like 100 million viewers). If he'd have been more open to the WWE offer money-wise and was willing to put the time in, he'd surely have been a big deal in the US as well.

Ha, 54 million viewers not 100 :blush:

There's not a funnier clip anywhere in the world than Sapp's fight with Cro-Cop. He was so scared, bless him, that his knees were wobbling, he was throwing these weak ass jabs and then when his face gets destroyed he looks like his favourite character in a romantic comedy got killed.

It's harsh to laugh, but hard not to.

• Moderators
My mate beat Sapp a couple of years ago in Dubai.

Crazy Bear? He fucking rules! I remember watching a Cage Rage before when he did a MOTHERFUCKING BIG SPLASH to get into a mount position. One of the coolest things I've ever seen in MMA.

• Paid Members

My favourite wrestling VHS memory is buying GAB 91 from some chap at the NEC and finding some candid shots of the blokes wife spread out nude on the bed. I can still recall her cold dead eyes, unbalivably hairy cunt and scruffy looking flat.

When I first got into wrestling big I didn't have many tapes of anything so every Friday night would be rumble 2000 or WM16.

Now I spend an hour trying to pick something from the pile but back then it was just them and I loved it.

When Woolworths was scraping VHS they must have found some old stock as a small selection of wcw and ecw turned up. How we raced for the rack, those days are long gone. The same used to happen with blockbuster, 99p buy one get one free and some one had traded in a near full set of wwf VHS.

• Paid Members
My favourite wrestling VHS memory is buying GAB 91 from some chap at the NEC and finding some candid shots of the blokes wife spread out nude on the bed.

Wonderful. Peddling your homegrown filth by hiding it in wrestling. Sort of the inverse of nipping into your newsagent to buy Power Slam, then slipping it in between the pages of Mens World on your way out of the shop, to conceal your shameful purchase.

2013_06_30_20_15_41.jpg

The only wrestling video left in my collection.

It was my intention to transfer this to DVD which is why it's still in my possession. However, I never got round to it and my VHS to DVD recorder is now broken so I never will.

I remember buying this from the Dickens DIY superstore in Washington, probably in 1995/6. I found it in a bargain bin and I purchased it, together with some Ben Elton stand-up show from 1993, for

• Paid Members

I've got that. And another one from that series which I forget the name of. They should be still in a box at my parents' house somewhere, along with whatever WWF tapes I still have there. Some good stuff on them from what I recall.

• Paid Members

I can't but help that despite having pretty much at our fingers through youtube etc, nothing will quite match old VHS.

I remember as a 11 year old, a schoolmate getting hold of Wrestlemania 1 in the bargain bin at a garage somewhere, and managing to borrow it. It was almost mythical to see the event that i'd (naively) thought began Wrestling in the bigtime.

The problem was that because tapes were

Hi Adam that VHS I have converted to DVD artwork too.

I also have a surplus VHS to DVD recorder I'm selling cheap too.

There is three tapes from this collection which I have converted from the vhs tapes to dvd.

They are..

The Mick Mcmanus World Of Wrestling

Mayhem & Mystery

Tag Teams & Tearaways

Archived