Best memories of wrestling on VHS

TheShowOff

As a proper wee boy (4-7) I had hand me down vids of the second annual survivor series and wrestlemania 8 and 10. Had the rumble led and Brett both won too. Only got proper into it a few years later when I got Mayhem in Manchester, which strangely had terrible production values (guess it was a house show) and then got Over the Edge 98. Loved it, especially the DX entrance for the six man tag. I later got one of them pink WCW videos that had highlights from Bash at the Beach and Great American Bashes up to 99. The last was my favourite as it was pretty star studded and had the likes of Cactus Jack before his WWF run.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have over 600 vhs tapes recorded from sky from 86-2006. They are a monkey on my back really. Never watch them but dont want rid of them either. Have stuff from screensport, lifestyle- remember that channel? Wwf on itv at 2am on a tuesday morning, wcw from itv at the same time. Ive got a ronnie garvin ric flair cage match from screen sport what seemed to go on for 3 days as a youngster watching it. I have some shite english promotion what initially replaced wwf in the 2am slot, cant remember what it was called tho. Maybe WAW or something. Dino Scarlo was a name i remember from it as it sounded like dino brava.

My favourite tho is wrestlemania3 taped of sky. Ive probably watched piper adonis more than every other match.

Im in the same boat. I started recording wrestling from the end of July 1989 right up to Wrestlemania in 2006 time. Everything wrestling wise got recorded, it started with WWF Superstars of Wrestling and then Eurosport came along and aired Prime Time Wrestling on a Friday at a 9pm slot. Then the Lifestyle channel came along where they would air classic Texas wrestling on a dinner time slot which I saw was WCCW. My highlight was seeing Kerry Von Erich bodyslam a 400 pound masked guy called Superfly. At the time I thought wow Jimmy Snuka hasent half put weight on.

Then on Screensport which would air wrestling on a Saturday 11am slot showed USWA Challenge or Main Event had different matches that is out on those USWA sets which must be a different show as Kerry had his pants pulled down on one. Every WWF show got taped whether it was Challenge or mania or Raw in 1995. Still cant believe we had to wait 2 and a half years before we saw the thing in full. Then you had WCW on ITV on a late night timeslot 1.50am to be exact seeing Marcus Bagwell debut and the Sting/Dangerous alliance feuding from WCW Pro. Then one day it came on during the afternoon and it was WCW Worldwide instead with the newly recruited Jesse the Body and watched it every week but 40 mins wasent really long enough.

One day I was flicking through sky and saw a channel DSF and they were airing a match with Rick Rude in and Dustin Rhodes came out and just had to record this and shit it was awesome seeing LOD return. Pretty amazing they aired the Clash so had to get a book and record all the WCW shows on DSF as they basically had everything on most days Pro, Worldwide, Sat Night, and PPVs. A great time to be a fan alough those topless birds in the ads was something I had to pretend I wasent watching when parents were in the same room. It did seem odd that Eurosport even showed WCW Power Hour on a few occasions where Sting pinned Flair that is strange seeing WWF and WCW on the same channel.

The late 90s was a great time to be a fan with Nitro on at 9pm on TNT and deciding not to watch Raw at 10pm as ill miss the second half of Nitro so staying up till half past 2 just to see Raw. Really enjoyed all the quality wrestling we got and man what a fun time it was to record everything.

• Paid Members

i never actually owned that many official VHS, probably between 20-30, but i look back on my tape trading days fondly. I guess if you'd told me how easy it would be to get hold of wrestling footage within 10 years back then id have shit a brick but rummaging through lists, posting a cheque and awaiting a crappy quality VHS was fucking brilliant, towards the tail end of ECW i'd be on edge waiting for the latest PPV to drop through my door.

I even got to the point where i would buy tapes to see one specific match or even something that happened in a match...especially in my deathmatch days. God bless youtube :)

The worst thing about it all way space, i remember getting to a point where i started to think 'this is getting out of hand', cause i had stacks of tapes and i was running out of places to put em. I literally have as much footage these days in a space the size of a shoebox, unreal.

• Paid Members

I paid nearly 30 quid for HHH and Chyna's 'It's Our Time', and thought it was money well spent because HHH said 'fuck' uncensored.

I also remember my Backlash 2000's tracking being fucked - due to nothing else but mirth, boisterous hormones and a slow mo pause button - at the point where Trish jumped on the ring apron and her cheeks wobbled when Test hit one of the Dudleyz with a big boot.

• Paid Members
haha, there was always some weird and wonderful shit at the end of traded tapes.

The poor guys who bought my old TV wrestling compilation tapes when I sold them off a few years ago must have been baffled when in between Blake Beverly vs Tatanka and a WCW Hallowe'en Havoc Control Center you'd get a clip of some woman in lingerie from a shit film like Beverly Hills Madam because when you got raunchy stuff like that on telly, you made the most of it,.

I paid nearly 30 quid for HHH and Chyna's 'It's Our Time', and thought it was money well spent because HHH said 'fuck' uncensored.

I also remember my Backlash 2000's tracking being fucked - due to nothing else but mirth, boisterous hormones and a slow mo pause button - at the point where Trish jumped on the ring apron and her cheeks wobbled when Test hit one of the Dudleyz with a big boot.

I remember my dad paying

One of my favourite VHS moments was when I first discovered wrestling, I asked for a few videos for Christmas, however because my mum didn't know much about it I had to go with her to Woolies and pick them myself.

I decided on Survivor Series 88, Rumble 92 and Super brawl 1, and upon checking the videos on the bus on the way home, realised the assistant had put Superbrawl 2 and Survivor Series 91 in! Unfortunately SB2 was sellophaned, but SS wasn't, so I watched and rewound it that night and took it back for the correct one the next day!

The first day my family got Sky, I was watching WWF Mania and Todd Pettengill was making a big song and dance about the fact they were about to show the WWF Championship match from Raw in its ENTIRETY.

Knowing this must be a moment worth keeping for posterity, I fumbled in the bookshelves for a blank tape while he introduced the match. I finally found one and fed it into the VCR, managing to only miss the first eight seconds.

Picture my dismay. It was Diesel vs Backlund.

The only reason I had my Dad join blockbuster video

SummerSlam88.jpg

I wanted that tape so bad in the early 90's but in the end I had to settle for a copy of my mates.

EDIT

Anyone else remember the black top version of Wrestlemania III? it was almost identical to the standard release that had the blue top on the tape but the blood following the Billy Jack Vs. Hercules was match cut out of the black version.

Archived