Best memories of wrestling on VHS

TheShowOff

My best memories of VHS aren't of those bought, but events recorded from the telly. Especially the 6 hour long-play videos.

Most often I'd have two WWF PPV's on the same tape, but occasionally there would be a glorious one which would have the wrestling, followed by an old Doctor Who omnibus recorded from UK Gold, finished off by some late 1980s kids TV. Things just weren't the same once DVD's came along...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as double VHS goes I had a double VHS of King of the Ring 2001 and a documentary called Taking 2extremes, focusing on the Hardys, Edge and Christian and Dudleys feud. It had the same double case as the Wrestlemania 4 one but one side had the cover for King of the Ring and the other side had the Taking 2extremes cover.

Bloody hell, completely forgot about the double VHS, good call. As far as I can remember, it was the only wrestling title to get a double box - and come to think of it I can't recall any other VHS having it also.

Wrestlemania 2000 also came with a double VHS pack w/ No Way Out 2000

After watching the event on channel 4 at the time...I got my hands on this bad boy

Royal_Rumble_2000.jpg

Mainly for the streetfight match and seeing Taka Michinoku going SPLAT on his face!!!

Mae Young was also a nasty sight for my eyes as being only 13 years old.

Bloody hell, completely forgot about the double VHS, good call. As far as I can remember, it was the only wrestling title to get a double box - and come to think of it I can't recall any other VHS having it also.

Didn't summerslam 2000 also come as a double VHS?

I have over 600 vhs tapes recorded from sky from 86-2006. They are a monkey on my back really. Never watch them but dont want rid of them either. Have stuff from screensport, lifestyle- remember that channel? Wwf on itv at 2am on a tuesday morning, wcw from itv at the same time. Ive got a ronnie garvin ric flair cage match from screen sport what seemed to go on for 3 days as a youngster watching it. I have some shite english promotion what initially replaced wwf in the 2am slot, cant remember what it was called tho. Maybe WAW or something. Dino Scarlo was a name i remember from it as it sounded like dino brava.

My favourite tho is wrestlemania3 taped of sky. Ive probably watched piper adonis more than every other match.

I have over 600 vhs tapes recorded from sky from 86-2006. They are a monkey on my back really. Never watch them but dont want rid of them either. Have stuff from screensport, lifestyle- remember that channel? Wwf on itv at 2am on a tuesday morning, wcw from itv at the same time. Ive got a ronnie garvin ric flair cage match from screen sport what seemed to go on for 3 days as a youngster watching it. I have some shite english promotion what initially replaced wwf in the 2am slot, cant remember what it was called tho. Maybe WAW or something. Dino Scarlo was a name i remember from it as it sounded like dino brava.

My favourite tho is wrestlemania3 taped of sky. Ive probably watched piper adonis more than every other match.

WOW!! If you could ever convert some of the WCW from ITV onto dvd i'd be a paying customer!!

Can't post the image for some reason so...click

My first Wrestlemania. Was so disappointed to find out on the weekend that it aired live that it wouldn't be free on Channel 4 like the Rumble was (I was 10 at the time so forgive me for sounding too self-entitled). Fast forward to a day trip in Hastings with school in July, and we pop into Woolies to get some Pick & Mix; I see this double set with the Best of Raw Vol. 1. Begged my mum to buy it, and I spent the whole day waiting to go home to watch it.

Mars Attacks had a double box with a T-Shirt inside. But back to the subject matter......

I don't think it was my first wrestling video, guessing i had a few WWF before but ECW Guilty as Charged 2001 was the first memorable one. It was completly different to everything I'd seen before and caught my attention straight away.

There was a brutal Dreamer/CW Anderson I quit match. a 3 way TLCC match. Rhino spearing people and RVD/Lynn match just using a chair which was one of the best hardcore matches which focused more on wrestling than stunts that i'd seen at the time.

Yeah I had some interesting stuff saved on LP mode. If I thought a match would be good, or if it was hyped up, I'd tape it on the fly back when Raw and Nitrp aired on a Friday evening - I'd even stop recording for the commercials. I pretty much kept all the PPV's too, regardless. Back then, a B PPV would air and I'd watch the thing like 5 times times that week. I don't even watch the Wrestlemania's back now where I can do it in superior quality.

Lister, what did you use to make your Hulk Who stuff? I assume that was all from VHS?

Didn't summerslam 2000 also come as a double VHS?

It didn't even come as a double DVD.

Who remembers the blue trim on the old Silver Vision releases?

20130212-151645.jpg

• Paid Members
. I have some shite english promotion what initially replaced wwf in the 2am slot, cant remember what it was called tho. Maybe WAW or something. Dino Scarlo was a name i remember from it as it sounded like dino brava.

Wrestling Around the World, which was promoted by Jackie Pallo.

Lister, what did you use to make your Hulk Who stuff? I assume that was all from VHS?

It was simply two video recorders hooked up with a SCART lead. One would be on record and pause while I cued up the next clip and got ready to quickly press the pause button to start and stop recording the clip, which is why in all the music videos all the clips are in the order they happened in the match rather than it being mixed up. Holy crap, it took a long time.

I had one of the videos on YouTube and a commenter said "Lol , cool idea to use old VHS editing ! I like it!", presumably not realising there wasn't a great deal of choice in 1996! Somebody else said "and i didnt know you could make a top ten using DOS".

Archived