...It's Arrested Development

Chest Rockwell

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fucking hell, it sounds like a nightmare production. Amazing he pulled it off at all. Weirdly, I hope the movie doesn't lift off - I think it's perfect as a series and hope they end up doing more of it.

One interesting thing he brought up - how do they know if it's a success? No Nielsen ratings online!

• Moderators

Nielsen ratings are such an ridiculous load of shit anyway. An incredibly poor metric and it shocks me that data is still used to make big decisions. Good fucking riddance.

I'm sure Netflix can tell how many people are watching it and it'll be much more accurate.

• Paid Members

How many more people than the average that sign up to Netflix over the next few weeks might be a reasonable indicator aswell. Can't wait but have to keep it till Monday Night as I have an exam Monday morning :dry:

• Paid Members
Fucking hell, it sounds like a nightmare production. Amazing he pulled it off at all. Weirdly, I hope the movie doesn't lift off - I think it's perfect as a series and hope they end up doing more of it.

One interesting thing he brought up - how do they know if it's a success? No Nielsen ratings online!

View counts and unique IPs surely? If anything it should be more reliable than the shitty Nielsen system...

Anyone else been watching this yet?

Im 4 episodes in so far. Not sure the new format works too well. Theres not enough interaction between the family members, and their individual stories seem a bit all over the place. Im still hoping it will all come together as it goes on...

• Paid Members
Anyone else been watching this yet?

Im 4 episodes in so far. Not sure the new format works too well. Theres not enough interaction between the family members, and their individual stories seem a bit all over the place. Im still hoping it will all come together as it goes on...

I

I think this is a case of "be careful what you wish for". Whilst it's great to have the characters back, and there's some clever writing, the ensemble brilliance is gone, and rather than feeling pact it feels rushed. I'm only a few episodes in, but if it continues like this it will have been a mild disappointment.

• Paid Members

I'm about 8 or so episodes in, maybe more. It starts slow, but it starts to pick up once all the individual stories start to intertwine. Michael, Gob, and Tobias' episodes are all the highlights so far, but at times they hammer old jokes into the ground.

• Paid Members

I'm almost at the end and the stories do come together really well and there's been some funny moments after a strange start. A little too much Ron Howard for my liking and Gob's stole the show so far.

• Paid Members

Ive watched the first six episodes so far. I dont know if the first two episodes will be funnier after Ive watched the complete series, but I thought they were dog shit. The episodes after have been getting better (Tobias's episode being the highlight so far.)

However I dont think any of them have been anywhere near the quality of an original series episode. I dont like that the episodes are longer, AD's trademark was the jump cutting and rapid fire pace. Some scenes just go on and on AND ON! The first episode especially was bizarre, it was like a completely different show.

I also disliked that SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

they recast young George Snr and Lucille with Kristen Wiig and Seth Rogan. Rogan especially is distracting because he just plays himself (as usual.) Its completely unecessary too, it was silly and funny in the original series that the cast just wore bad wigs to play their younger selves.

Im only through a third of the episodes though, so shouldnt sharpen my pitchfork just yet. Bad start but its been getting better.

• Awards Moderator

I'm feeling the same way at three episodes in, and it's a relief to see my feelings are the same as others' on it. Plenty of time for it to pick up, but at present it's feeling a little disjointed.

Also, has Portia de Rossi had surgery done? I can't figure out what, but she doesn't look right...

Archived