...It's Arrested Development

Chest Rockwell

I was expecting some sort of definitive end with the characters all headed towards Cinco but that was to just extend their own respective stories. I have to say I loved the closing scene between Michael and George Michael though.Here's a little note about George Maharis, I'd no clue. (If its deemed spoiler worthy please say so!)

Episode 1, George-Michael mentions that he wants to change his name because he was embarrassed to learn that pop singer George Michael was arrested for having gay sex in a public bathroom. His dad, Michael, explains that since his grandfather was "George" and his father was "Michael," the idea was to combine them to give him his own new identity as the youngest. Hoping to accommodate his son, Michael then suggests, "I know, we'll call you Boy George." Then there is a jump cut to news footage of Boy George also being arrested for gay bathroom sex.Is that the greatest AD joke of all time? No, it's not. It's OK. Maybe it's a little forced. But what some would criticize as a weak joke is actually JUST THE SETUP. The real punchline to that joke doesn't even come until more than 10 episodes later. There, George-Michael meets an attractive actress and, hoping to impress her, stops himself from introducing himself as George-Michael and switches to Harris at the last second. (Even that is a joke, playing off of Maeby's incorrect pronunciation of "heiress" moments earlier). Anyway, trying to verify the name she's just heard, the actress asks, "George Maharis? Your name is George Maharis?" George-Michael proudly adopts that as his new, more masculine identity.Here's the thing: George Maharis was a '60s television star who (like George Michael and Boy George) was arrested in a public bathroom for gay sex. So what even I thought was a mediocre joke in Episode 1 was merely the setup to what is now my favorite AD joke of all time.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Laughed so much I almost choked when

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Siri pronounced GOB's name wrong

Absolutely loved s4. Most of the criticism I've heard/read is infuriating - have people forgotten what Arrested Development was actually like? Some hiccups but I think they were experimenting, free from network pressure and knowing that people would be watching it differently online.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived