XBOX ONE

iamtheman

61893_10151579519551023_954519514_n.jpg

Let the Speculation begin

Xbox 720 will be announced next month, Microsoft has confirmed.

The firm's next console, described as "a new generation of games, TV and entertainment", will be revealed on May 21.

To be announced at a press event on Xbox's campus, it will be live streamed online, through Xbox Live and on Spike TV in US and Canada.

"On that day, we'll share our vision for Xbox, and give you a real taste of the future," said Xbox Live director Larry Hyrb.

"Then, 19 days later at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles, we'll continue the conversation and showcase our full lineup of blockbuster games.

"We are thrilled to pull back the curtain and reveal what we've been working on."

Proper excited for this. We haven't had a new console generation in 7 years now, and I can't wait to see what Microsoft are bringing to the table to counter the impressive sounding PS4. At least with it being so close to E3 we might get to see what their console looks like, I can't see them leaving that for E3 being that it's so close.

Now we just need to see if Sony hold another conference a couple of weeks before (as has been rumoured on a couple of podcasts) to show off their console and possibly draw some attention away from the Xbox announcement.

This is the first generation of consoles (stretching back to the Mega Drive days) that I've just not been excited about and probably won't buy early doors.

Maybe it's just me getting old and the fact that the only games I play nowadays are on N64 or the XLA or are sports games like LMA Manager and World Snooker Championship and that I really only use my Xbox for Youtube/iPlayer/40D. Maybe it's that I don't really have the expendable income to waste or anybody who's likely to buy it as a Christmas present. Maybe it's the prospect of having to permanently have internet access to play it (as it's rumoured). Maybe I don't engage in the games rumour mill/updates that I did with previous consoles. I can't really say, but I'm just not interested.

If the whole "has to be online for your games to even work" story was true then I can't wait until I hear MS's attempt at putting a positive spin on it. In general though after all the talk of there not being that big of a leap I'm not really that excited about the next gen to be honest.

• Paid Members

Speaking as a very, very casual gamer only, the most exciting thing about the new gen consoles is the fact that the current models and their games should get cheaper. None of the promotional buzzwords so far have got me remotely arsed about it and the 'always on' rumours just kill it for me.

If the whole "has to be online for your games to even work" story was true then I can't wait until I hear MS's attempt at putting a positive spin on it.

If the whole 'must be online' theory proves true the console will be dead before it even launches, I for one won't be buying it. And imagine if say Xbox live was hacked like PSnetwork was and was down for a period of time, you wouldn't be able to play at all and it wouldn't be your fault. Plus making it 'always online' makes it an even bigger target.

I hope the controller has a share button, that'd be frickin' sweet. I want all my friends to know every time I compete a mission.

:laugh:

The next consoles are just like the current ones but way more powerful. And that's all I want really.

Graphics look like they've pretty much hit their peak. I wasn't blown away by anything on the PS4 announcement. They're trying to advance online over graphics. Don't get me wrong, good games don't need great graphics but it got me excited from the progression of SNES to PlayStation, PlayStation to PS2 (screenshots of GTA 3 and Shut Your Mouth had me stunned) and, to a lesser extent, PS2 to 360.

I'm currently playing Skyrim and I know that the graphics on there can be improved as I've played it on PC with better graphics. I tried getting into the modding side of it at one point, but I found myself spending more time trying to tweak the game and look for new mods than actually playing it. However, there's a project running where a group of people are re-texturing things in the game to make them look better. When they finish, it should look incredible.

I think that the next step graphics wise has to be better animation and collision detection, but I imagine it would take a long time.

Graphics look like they've pretty much hit their peak. I wasn't blown away by anything on the PS4 announcement. They're trying to advance online over graphics. Don't get me wrong, good games don't need great graphics but it got me excited from the progression of SNES to PlayStation, PlayStation to PS2 (screenshots of GTA 3 and Shut Your Mouth had me stunned) and, to a lesser extent, PS2 to 360.

I'm currently playing Skyrim and I know that the graphics on there can be improved as I've played it on PC with better graphics. I tried getting into the modding side of it at one point, but I found myself spending more time trying to tweak the game and look for new mods than actually playing it. However, there's a project running where a group of people are re-texturing things in the game to make them look better. When they finish, it should look incredible.

I think that the next step graphics wise has to be better animation and collision detection, but I imagine it would take a long time.

It's definitely a true point that we're not going to see a huge leap in graphics, what we will see is greater density of on screen information (such as crowds, take the WWE games as an example, their crowds are still terrible basic models.) and more dynamic lighting and shadows.

The 'always online' thing is not confirmed, latest reports is that it's not going to be quite as limiting as has been speculated and that there will be the ability to play offline. This reminds me of all the 'inside sources at Sony' rumours about the PS4 not accepting used games, and how that basically came to nothing.

There's still parts here in the states that can't get a high speed connection so always online would be a disaster for those people or simply people that don't like the whole online gaming thing.

• Moderators

Broadband speeds really are the bottleneck for seemingly just about everything, technology wise.

Will having more powerful consoles even help with online gaming when there's a limit to how much data you can transfer and how quickly you can do it? Is this the case? I'm speaking from a position of almost total ignorance of techie stuff here.

Broadband speeds really are the bottleneck for seemingly just about everything, technology wise.

Will having more powerful consoles even help with online gaming when there's a limit to how much data you can transfer and how quickly you can do it? Is this the case? I'm speaking from a position of almost total ignorance of techie stuff here.

For the purposes (if they go ahead with it) of having the console 'always online', that wont need much broadband speed to work as all it will likely be doing is sending a small connection request to Microsofts servers every minute or so asking for a reply. If it gets one great, if not then who knows. This is where the problem arises because as we all know, broadband technology isnt 100% reliable so if your connection was to go down, you wouldnt be able to play, even if its a single player game / mode you happen to be on. Also if Microsoft have problems at their end (service down, maintenance work etc) your fucked too.

For general online gaming too a faster connection helps but a standard broadband connection is usually more than adequate.

The real benefit for faster connections comes from downloading the games themselves if you dont use physical media such as DVD's or blu-rays. Of course downloading full retail games can use an awful lot of data and the next gen will likely have even bigger game sizes.

Archived