The Official Fishing Thread

Steve Justice

I've been a bit of a casual angler over the years but since I passed my driving test last year I'm starting to go out more. I am finding however that my method is a little bit dated. My Dad taught me when I was young, and have been using the same technique since. Because of this I do find that I'm missing out on the bigger fish (which is what people go for, lets face it).

Yesterday I was out for 5 hours, and whilst I was catching it was all Roach and Perch no bigger than my hand, and it was pretty much the same when I went out last year (don't get me wrong, it was nice to catch and to be kept busy. Last week for example I was out for about the same time and didn't even get a bite). I mainly fish on maggot or corn, though I sometimes take luncheon meat (but have never ever caught anything on it). I've never used pellets or boilies, and have to confess that I wouldn't know how.

So this thread is for those anglers on the board to discuss there methods, offer advice to the amateurs (me) and to share decent fisheries in there area.

Anyone who makes comments like 'fishing is boring', or 'I've never seen the point' will be banned. Well not banned because I don't have the power, but you will be IGNORED!

Do u fish pools, canals or the river. Also do you just float fish?.

If its a pool you'll find with maggots that all u will get is small stuff, pellets have taken over as the bait to catch on.

You can buy hard ones that you feed with and soft hooker pellets for the hook.

I would say a good thing to do is buy a few fishing magazine's and check YouTube for tips and things to try on your next session, that's helped me catch a lot better fish.

Do u fish pools, canals or the river. Also do you just float fish?.

If its a pool you'll find with maggots that all u will get is small stuff, pellets have taken over as the bait to catch on.

You can buy hard ones that you feed with and soft hooker pellets for the hook.

I would say a good thing to do is buy a few fishing magazine's and check YouTube for tips and things to try on your next session, that's helped me catch a lot better fish.

Pools mainly. I tried a canal last week but didn't even get a sniff. I did move on to a pool and got the same result. May have just been a bad day to fish all round.

I do mainly float fish but I occasionally use a method feeder with a quiver tip just so I don't have to fart about plumbing the depth and getting a bit further/deeper out. I don't use any of those beepers, I find it takes the fun out of it.

I'll have to look into the pellets. Are maggots best to use on flowing waters now then?

Am I the only one who misread the thread title?

Nope. I was also disappointed.

Fisting?

• Paid Members
Sea > course

Quoted for truth.

Justice, do you have sea legs at all? I personally prefer being out on the water rather than the coastline, but that's partly because I find the whole experience of being out at sea magical.

Archived