UFC on FOX 7: 'Henderson vs Melendez'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

http://www.bjpenn.com/exclusive-part-2-top...ht-champ-again/

Jason Parillo said this

“When I talked to BJ, for example… BJ’s a straight fighter, I mean he’s a killer. I mean he’s an athlete- and all these guys are athletes. But a lot of these guys make it through this game just being athletic; BJ makes it through this game being a bonafide killer. I mean the guy really has a different mindset; he’s an intelligent guy, and we were able to connect because he knew that’s what kept him going was his mind. That’s what keeps him going. BJ’s mind is still so strong, we’re going to see that guy win a title again [laughs]. But he is, he’s going to win a 55 title.”

Considering this is on BJ's website it probably means we will get BJ back at 155lbs. I still think the only real duff Penn performance at 155lbs was the 2nd Edgar fight. The first one was a bit of a robbery, only Franklin McNeil (is he still going) in the mainstream media scored it for Edgar and some viewers were distorted by Goldy and Rogan. BJ clearly won the first 3 rounds in most peoples eyes.

I agree with the above about Brock, also according to Bas Rutten, Barry was probably not allowed to make contact with Brock in sparring as when Bas asked Pat about lack of contact sparring, Barry did not exactly dismiss Bas.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I've been meaning to rewatch Penn vs Edgar 1 for ages. I remember at the time thinking Edgar won. The consensus now seems to be that Penn should have won. Actually I don't think I've seen it since it aired live, so I might watch it again soon and see what I think now.

I might have been swayed by the commentary. Or maybe just seeing Frankie do better than I expected made me a bit more generous giving him rounds. And I'm sure I'd been drinking. Wasn't UFC 112 on at a decent time here, like 7pm or something due to taking place in Abu Dhabi? Sure I was pretty pissed by the time BJ and Frankie hit the cage so my judging might have been at Cecil Peoples level. Or maybe I will still think he won. Fuck it, I'll watch it tomorrow and see.

Just watched Road To The Octagon. Really good again, I much prefer these and Primetime to the bog standard Countdown shows. It's got me that little bit more hyped up for Benson/Melendez and Diaz/Thomson especially. Not that I wasn't looking forward to them anyway, but it's heightened my anticipation a bit more.

The biggest problem with BJ Penn, although I'm hardly the first to say it, is that he doesn't know that he's 155 pounds. He bulked up to fight Machida at 205 for fuck's sake. He flash KOed a declining Matt Hughes and thought he belonged at WW, but there's always bigger guys who can stifle you at that weight. He gave a great effort against Fitch until he got Fitched... I just hope BJ realises 155 is his home now. I'd love to see Penn vs. Aldo. I think Bendo is one of those guys who is big enough to shut BJ down, he's one of the biggest LWs out there, he could easily fight at WW IMO.

Wasn't UFC 112 on at a decent time here, like 7pm or something due to taking place in Abu Dhabi?

Yeah, that's right. I watched the card up until the main event and then headed out to town with some mates. Got home to watch the Main Event as I'd recorded it, and was so glad I didn't watch it live. Ended up fast forwarding through most of it.

Agree that BJ would be a beast again at 155. He'd need 1 or 2 fights before a title fight though. So many awesome match-up's for him now though in that division

I too have been meaning to rewatch the first Penn/Edgar fight as I'd only seen it live and remember scoring it for Edgar 48/47. I think it may have been because I wasn't that familiar with Edgar and was seeing his constant movement and few punches landing as point scoring. Now I'm more familiar with Edgar I may have a different opinion on the fight.

Personally I'd like BJ to have a win at 155 then retire. Maybe a rematch with Gomi as both shouldn't be in contention for the title and it'd be a fun stand up battle... until Penn remembers Gomi has no submission defence!

Or maybe just seeing Frankie do better than I expected made me a bit more generous giving him rounds.

A lot of people feel foul to that I think.

If I recall right, 1-3 are Penn rounds, 4 is close maybe Edgar and 5 is a Edgar round. The anticipation was that BJ would blow Edgar away, so people were shocked he took rounds of BJ. Plus the rounds Penn did win were pretty uneventful, he was constantly in 2nd gear throughout the fight. You could tell he was not motivated. The above is also true, it seemed like Edgar was doing more than he actually was.

The second fight is worse because you can tell again that BJ does not give a shit. There is that GIF where he looks about as energetic as a corpse before the fight.

Regards to Curry Angel saying BJ vs Gomi 2, I support that as a tune up for Penn. Get him used to the weight cut again and fight against a reasonable opponent where he can see if he has still got enough in the tank.

Personally I'd like BJ to have a win at 155 then retire.

Retire!? If he went back down to 155 I think he'd still have a lot of life left as a top tier UFC fighter. Only way he should retire is if he continues wanting to fight at Welterweight, coz he just isn't big enough for that division

He's getting on a bit and, with a few exceptions, fighting is becoming more and more a young mans game. I'd hate to see him not able to compete at his natural weight class.

It's not nice watching fighters slowly realizing that they aren't able to compete at the top of the game any more. Not everyone can be like Anderson and Henderson and get better in their mid-30s-early 40s.

• Paid Members

BJ needs to prove to me that he can still cut it, ill hold out until i see that before i'll still consider him a force at any weight.

...add me to the list thats going to rewatch Penn/Edgar 1.

• Paid Members

thats probably true, and its down to speed and reflexes...i guess when you lose them, you lose major tools as a lighter fighter.

Has anyone excelled at 155 after the age of 35? its a young mans division.

• Paid Members
Its harder to peak in the lighter weight classes in your 30's and 40's than it is at 185lbs and above I think.

Very true. Look at boxing, you don't really see the smaller boxers go strong into their mid 30s-40s like a Foreman or Hopkins. There are exceptions, Chavez fought until 42/43 and retired with over 100 wins and only really lost to good fighters bar 1 or 2 right at the end. Even Mayweather, he's 36 and still unbeaten. But Chavez and Mayweather are exceptions to the rule, mostly the lighter fighters tend to fade earlier.

Penn vs Gomi 2 is a great shout for Penn's return to 155. Gomi is having a little bit of a resurgence lately but I'd fancy Penn to sub him again. Would be a good fight, I loved the first one.

thats probably true, and its down to speed and reflexes...i guess when you lose them, you lose major tools as a lighter fighter.

:thumbsup:

That is my theory. Heavier weight classes are more dependent on power, size and strength that age does not take away from a fighter. If anything it adds to anything as your bones are meant to now stop growing until you are 30.

I agree Mayweather is kinda of a exception. Although I do read that some think his prime was 2003-2005 and he is not as good these days, just still better than everyone else.

• Paid Members

Mayweathers still to be really troubled in the ring, hes a remarkable fighter. The intriguing thing with him now is that everyones expecting ageto catch up with him at some point and wonder if his next fight will be where it happens...Robert Guerrero even admits now that the Mayweather he'll be fighting next month isnt the Mayweather of old.

Archived