UFC on FOX 7: 'Henderson vs Melendez'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Didn't realise how close this was until METAL_ON_METAL mentioned it the other day. Only 8 days away. And it's a pretty big card.

UFC%20on%20FOX%207.jpg

FOX MAIN CARD

Benson Henderson vs Gilbert Melendez - UFC Lightweight Title

Frank Mir vs Daniel Cormier

Nate Diaz vs Josh Thomson

Matt Brown vs Jordan Mein

FX PRELIMS

Chad Mendes vs Darren Elkins

Francis Carmont vs Lorenz Larkin

Ramsey Nijem vs Myles Jury

Joseph Benavidez vs Darren Uyenoyama

Jorge Masvidal vs Tim Means

TJ Dillashaw vs Hugo Viana

FACEBOOK PRELIMS

Anthony Njokuani vs Roger Bowling

Clifford Starks vs Yoel Romero

This looks like a hell of a card. The main event has sneaked up on us with little fanfare but it should be tremendous. I can't see how it will disappoint. I've picked Benson from day one in this fight but I do think Gilbert matches up better with Benson than Diaz did. The whole champ vs champ thing should have made this a bigger fight than it feels like currently but it hasn't really been played up much. I can't wait for this one though.

Melendez's UFC debut has been a long time coming. He's been everywhere else from Pride to Strikeforce to WEC and people always wanted to see how he'd do in the UFC, now we'll find out because he's not only in the UFC now he's fighting the #1 fighter.

Cormier's debut is another one I'm excited about. He's emerged as a legitimate top heavyweight over the last year with wins over Bigfoot and Josh Barnett. But with teammate Cain sitting on top of the division Cormier's probably heading to 205 after this fight to make a run at Jon Jones. As long as he doesn't piss about on the ground he should batter Mir I think.

Diaz vs Thomson and Brown vs Mein round out the main card nicely, both should be highly entertaining all-action type fights.

On first glance Carmont vs Larkin stands out on the prelims. That's probably my pick for sleeper on this card. Larkin's someone I've really become a fan of so I hope he wins. Njokuani vs Bowling has the ingredients of a cracking fight as well.

Henderson vs Melendez trailer

Cormier vs Mir trailer

And for those unfamiliar with Melendez here's a highlight

Oh and the 'Road To The Octagon' special (which are usually excellent) airs tonight in the US so look out for it on Youtube tomorrow. Someone will probably post it in here anyway.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The top two fights on UFC on Fox 7 are the two I'm most interested in. Like wand, I just can't see Benson Henderson losing to Gilbert Melendez in Melendez's long time coming UFC debut since it was announced. While I like Frank Mir's commentary and he's a skilled fighter, he's one of the fighters I always wanted to lose and I'm hoping Cormier will do just that. Thinking about it, it's the night of UFC debuts with the Strikeforce fighters coming over. Am I right in saying Thomson's last UFC fight resulted in one of the best ever UFC KO's at his expense by Yves Edwards at UFC 49? On the subject of UFC 49, one of the best ever UFC shows.

EDIT: Voted Benson by decision, Cormier by KO and Thomson by decision.

• Paid Members
The prelims don't do much for me but that main card is absolute quality.

Regarding Melendez, is he the first fighter to get a title shot in their UFC debut? And should he win, would he be the first to do that?

And people complained about Lesnar's fast track to the title ;)

errr i think he is, hadnt realised that. Fully justified though, Melendez was always the one guy clamboring to get in the UFC when he was on top outside of the promotion, this is gonna be an insane FOTY candidate, Melendez isnt going to be dominated like Diaz was, he gonna come forward like a fn pitbull and make this thing a war, im picking Melendez via very close decision, i think his workrate and aggression will win him rounds.

The prelims don't do much for me but that main card is absolute quality.

Regarding Melendez, is he the first fighter to get a title shot in their UFC debut? And should he win, would he be the first to do that?

And people complained about Lesnar's fast track to the title ;)

The difference is Melendez was Strikeforce Champ for a considerable amount of time and always considered number 1 or number 2 LW in the world. I think it was the right fight to make at this point in time, especially with Pettis wanting to go fight Aldo.

• Paid Members

It will be weird finally seeing Melendez in the Octagon. He's been such a 'Strikeforce guy' from day one that it's kind of like the Sting and WWE thing, it's hard to imagine.

On the first to challenge in their debut thing - I guess it depends if you count when divisions have been brought over. Liz Carmouche challenged for the women's title on her debut. But for a fighter who is debuting in an established division like 155, I think Melendez is probably the first to come in as challenger.

It's the right fight to make though, Melendez deserves it. He's beat every man he's faced and been Strikeforce champ for over 3 years. Champ vs Champ makes sense. If you remember, they were going to do GSP vs Diaz straight away at UFC 137 after the Strikeforce buyout. So it's not like there isn't a precedent for this.

I can't wait, it's had surprisingly little buzz but I'm expecting a tremendous fight.

• Paid Members

i think thats down to Benson still not really catching on as champ, despite winning and defending his belt twice. Even though Frankie never vecame box office gold i think if it was Frankie/Gilbert they'd be pushing it as a 155lb superfight more than they are.

• Paid Members

Mir being Mir;

"He's new to the game, even though he's older than I am. He doesn't really know how to market himself that well yet. I think he's still working on it. I think the smart thing is, he's doing things that will make people bring up his name in that aspect. The fact that he brought up Jon Jones makes him more relevant. It sure isn't on his accolades of what he's done inside the Octagon."

"I think he has kind of a false sense of security [after] fighting against Josh [barnett]. You know, he feels like,

• Paid Members

what's most interesting about Mir going in here for me is that he's now training under Greg Jackson. If there was anything to be said of Mir after the JDS battering was that he just didn't look that interested or well prepared. I expect a reuvinated Mir so it'll be interesting to see how he comes out.

Mir's always got a chance because of the tools he has in his locker but against a powerhouse wrestler with really good boxing i can't fancy his chances unless he can somehow pull this thing to the ground.

I am picking Cormier, but Mir is a live underdog.

The way to neutralise Mir's ground game and submissions is through brute power and force which Lesnar used. Cormier is a better wrestler than Lesnar technically, but does he have the size and force to neutralise Mir from slapping on submissions? Cormier is a lot lighter and shorter than Brock.

Mir's striking looked bad against JDS and the last fight with Big Nog, but I am not 100% sold on Cormier's striking just yet. Big Foot Silva and Barnett are solid but unexceptional strikers, sure Big Foot has power but his technique is nothing special, Barnett is what I would call a average striker his strength has always been his outstanding ground game. I would not be shocked if the striking is competitive if Mir boxes like he did against Kongo and Big Not (1st fight)

Despite the Main Event showcasing 1 and 2 at 155lbs, Cormier vs Mir is the fight I am looking forward to. I love some top class Heavyweight action.

• Paid Members
I am picking Cormier, but Mir is a live underdog.

Mir's striking looked bad against JDS and the last fight with Big Nog, but I am not 100% sold on Cormier's striking just yet. Big Foot Silva and Barnett are solid but unexceptional strikers, sure Big Foot has power but his technique is nothing special, Barnett is what I would call a average striker his strength has always been his outstanding ground game. I would not be shocked if the striking is competitive if Mir boxes like he did against Kongo and Big Not (1st fight)

i disagree, id rate both Barnett & Bigfoot as superior strikers to Mir.

How so?

Mir has taken out Cro Cop, Kongo and Big Nog striking wise. Okay, Cro Cop was past his best, but he still knocked him out. Okay he got tagged by Carwin, but if Carwin lands flush on anyone they are going out.

Barnett did knock out a ancient Rizzo, but other than that I cannot recall him showing much striking wise. Big Foot took advantage of Overeem keeping his hands down and gassing, but he got outboxed by Werdum (before he advanced into a decent striker) and got knocked out by Eric Pele.

I get there is a argument for Big Foot being better, but Barnett as much as I like him has never been much of a striker despite him being one of if not the best ground Heavyweight ever.

Archived