Your Wrestling Figure Promotions

Forrest

My figures were mostly all WWF but I had them in an ECW style promotion. Christmas time was always when things got craziest. Remember those little grey bendy things which hold toys down in a box? Get enough of that and you can make a barbed wire ring and mince pie tins are the perfect weapon. Red biro ink is great for blood, just had to make sure you really enjoyed it because it was kinda a one shot deal. I had creative matches, like the casket match which used a toastie maker instead of a casket. The promotion ended up folding during a lynx fuelled inferno match.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just remember my champions always being the ones that had the best movement in the figure which ruled out all Jakks, especially after they switched to the first titan tron figures which actually seemed worse than the bone crunching style ones. So my promotion was pretty much run by random WCW midcarders like Vampiro, Wrath, Mike Awesome and somehow Dennis Rodman with occasional runs from Bret and Sting thrown in until I got the Sid figure that was in the 3 pack with the lockers along with Kidman and Steiner, then he dominated every figure ever, and fuck the powerbomb that figure was designed to carry out the F5.

• Paid Members

I got the Nitro arena play set which came with a free DDP figure. I also had an Outsiders double pack (“Thunder Slam” series Google tells me), along with various other WCW wrestlers such as Sting, Sid Vicious; so it was fantasy WCW for me.

Unlike Killjoy, this wasn’t when I was 18. I would have been 13 at the most. I know this as we moved house then, and my mum used the time to conveniently dispatch my figure collection during the move. Gutted. That was part of my childhood binned!

I now have a couple of Sting figures from his TNA run, but they’re still boxed and sit on top of my desk.

I had my own pay per view - The Christmas Clash, featuring the "Santa's Slay" main event, where you have 2 massive teams, and you start off with one lad from each team in the ring, then when one of them is pinned, his team mate runs in and so on. No tags or anything, basically a double gauntlet match.

Hogan, Savage, Warror or DiBase used to be the on the winning team, cos they were on WWF Superstars on the Game Boy and their entrance music played when you highlighted them on the select screen, so I used that for arena music. (I didn't have a Mr Perfect figure)

• Paid Members
I had my own pay per view - The Christmas Clash, featuring the "Santa's Slay" main event, where you have 2 massive teams, and you start off with one lad from each team in the ring, then when one of them is pinned, his team mate runs in and so on. No tags or anything, basically a double gauntlet match.

Hogan, Savage, Warror or DiBase used to be the on the winning team, cos they were on WWF Superstars on the Game Boy and their entrance music played when you highlighted them on the select screen, so I used that for arena music. (I didn't have a Mr Perfect figure)

I remember playing the entrance tracks from the WCW Mayhem CD on my PlayStation one. The PS one was cool because it also had filters such as large hall and stuff like that, that made it sound live as opposed to just a CD playing (which it was). Yes, I was that sad and meticulous :rolleyes:

I had a hodge podge of figures from different eras. Yokuzuna to DDP, from Miss Elizabeth to Arn Anderson. I remember setting Elizabeth's face on fire, courtesy of Wolfpac Sting. Yokuzana's fat chops got set alight too. I'm fairly certain I set a DDP's guardrail accesory ablaze as well. Yes, I did ruin everything I set on fire.

My promotions were WWF figure based using Titontron and early RA figures.

Federation consisted of a big show that ended in a street fight title match and a ladder match for the IC belt.

Had the full works for the fed, the backstage area with the breakable wall, titontron live as well as the Wrestlemania hardcore ring.

Worst figures were the titantron hardy boyz there blooming legs never looked right doing the swanton off things and it infuriated me not being able to do jeffs patented leg to groin move! (loud cheer for the Marvel TNA Figure that was released in 05)

Blood was a must and always used washable felt tip as this gave good colour and washed away after off the ring and figure.

Favourite figures

AS noted in the 1st mag video thread were the Cactus Jack/Triple H set,

And these

916ujDNT7SL._SL1500_.jpg

still have these on display all be it with hands missing due to aggresive chokeslams

I did get one or two of the old hasbro figures but that was back when I didn't watch wrestling, just used to like playing with my cousin's figures when I visited them in Ireland. So then one day I saw a Hogan figure in the shop when I was told I could get a toy there and that was that, then my cousins sent me the two pack of Michaels and Jannety. Never really did too much with them other than one off matches.

When I got into wrestling properly in the late 90s I bought two of those small wrestling sets with the miniture ring, about 6 figures and a dumpster. The sets included guys like Austin, Rock, Mankind, Undertaker, Golddust, Farooq, the Headbangers, Cactus Jack, Ahmed Johnson. Always thought I'd be happt enough with them but ended up getting the bigger figures not long after. Started with a Jakks figure of The Rock in a brown shirt and black pants. It was some signature edition where his signature was printed in silver on the shirt, sadly after playing with it the signature rubbed off anyway. When the Ruthless Aggression type figures came out which were bigger than those I kinda moved to not using the old ones as much, or the WCW ones which I'd been buying too. I was a bit of a snob about the figures not being the same sizes etc.

Every Christmas Eve I'd set my arena up infront of the Christmas tree and have a big PPV, it was like the WrestleMania of my federation and I'd love incorporating the tree into the action, plus any other decorations and so on.

I was a little bit of a sicko though, instead of using red pen for blood I used real blood. I used to be a terrible one for biting my nails and always had cuts on my fingers where I'd have pulled off a bit of skin with the nail so I used to just use the blood from my finger on the figures. Looking back I think it was terribly disgusting but when I was having a big bloody brawl with my figures it just seemed like the right thing to do as pens just wouldn't look real enough. Oh but don't worry about my figures being passed on to other kids, they're all safely locked away in the attic, I'd never, ever get rid of them.

I had so many figures and rings back in the day. Whatever new figure I got would be pushed to the title. I remember in like 2000 I had like a 2 month(literal) feud between Mike Awesome and The Rock that I had for my Birthday. I remember getting Brock Lesnar in 2002 and he remained the top guy in my fed until I stopped playing with them like the year later.

• Paid Members
Jakks did these. Think they might have been the first Jakks series but I might be wrong.

You are, but only just in respect to Vader.

The first series was Bret Hart (black top, pink bottoms), Undertaker, the Shawn that is pictured and Goldust, which were all released over here, and Razor Ramon & Diesel that never came out over here and everyone thought they were super rare. I marked out like a bitch when I saw Razor & Diesel when I was round some bloke's house buying some other crap from the local paper's classifieds. I had the other 4 for Christmas '96, and loved them. Razor & Diesel were pulled when they went to WcW which was some time before those figures came out over here.

The second set was Vader (as you say, not fat enough), Owen Hart, (bought both of those), Undertaker again, a red Shawn, and Bret Hart (pink top black bottoms) who I didn't bother with, and Ultimate Warrior, again not released over here, but I had a mate holidaying in Orlando get him for me. He also bought me back Sid and Bulldog from series 3. A good haul. A load of Bend Ems too.

Hogan, Savage, Warror or DiBase used to be the on the winning team, cos they were on WWF Superstars on the Game Boy and their entrance music played when you highlighted them on the select screen, so I used that for arena music.

Only problem was, DiBiase's music wasn't DiBiase's music. It was this :

I WILL PERFECT-PLEX MY WAY TO VICTORY!

• Paid Members
Twin pack with taker makes sense, yeah. I'm pretty sure the Undertaker fell apart in no time at all. The Hasbros and Galoobs would last forever (provided you didn't try to eat them). I used to throw them out of my Action Man helicopter, down the stairs, or from my bedroom window all the time and they'd be grand.

Wish I'd had as much luck with Hawk. Fumbled getting him out of the packaging and he instantly snapped in two the second he hit the floor. Christmas went from being over excited at getting the Legion of Doom, to thinking it was the worse Christmas ever as Hawk's torso left his legs behind.

My original WWF figures ended up in some kind of weird three way promotion with Visionaries figures:

100_2418.JPG

And the 1994 Mortal Kombat figures:

1994_mk_figs.jpg

The Visionaries ended up being a stable with their holographic chest plates, and the Mortal Kombat guys ended up being faces like Johnny Cage, Raiden and Liu Kang against the ninja stable of Sub Zero, Scorpion and Smoke. They had an epic six man at Survivor Series 94 which the faces thought they had won until Reptile turned up and cost them the win.

The Visionaries broke very easily, and poor old Mordred lost a leg when being put in a figure four by Greg "The Hammer" Valentine, while Cindar was decapitated by an Undertaker Tombstone. Kravex was so poorly sculpted he could hardly move, so I had him being roided up and eventually he lost an arm to a Yokozuna Banzai drop.

Later on I resurrected my Thundercats and Centurions figures, but the Panthro v Doc Terror feud never took off. I extended a little dramatic licence into the Centurions matches, and one ended where Ace McCloud used Sky Bolt to launch himself off the top rope and spear Earthquake into the fireplace.

I stopped buying WWF figures in late 1994, and I think one of the last ones I got was this version of Crush, but I never knew anyone else who had it - is it quite rare?

nns0mf.jpg

This topic has brought back so many memories. I mainly had WWF Titantron Live figures and the ruthless aggression figures. I used to run shows every weekend and keep track of the title history. I think I still have the folder somewhere with all my bits of paper with the history on. I will have to find them later and post the title history if anyone is interested. Just like someone said above, everytime I got a new figure they would usually win the World Title.

As for the arena set up. I started off with a WCW Nitro ring someone got me for christmas. Which confused me as I had never watched WCW and had no idea that it existed at the time. The moved on to a RAW 2002 stage with a ring as well. I also had the Elimination Chamber ring which usually got pulled out every time I felt like having a PPV event.

I was a little bit of a sicko though, instead of using red pen for blood I used real blood. I used to be a terrible one for biting my nails and always had cuts on my fingers where I'd have pulled off a bit of skin with the nail so I used to just use the blood from my finger on the figures. Looking back I think it was terribly disgusting but when I was having a big bloody brawl with my figures it just seemed like the right thing to do as pens just wouldn't look real enough. Oh but don't worry about my figures being passed on to other kids, they're all safely locked away in the attic, I'd never, ever get rid of them.

I did exactly the same thing

Archived