Game of Thrones - Season EIGHT (No book wankers)

My sky go is telling me Internet is too slow to watch last nights episode in hotel, any suggestions where else I could watch?

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

Decent second episode. Started to blood in the new characters- including Phil Kaye, Mackenzie Crook, Diana Rigg and the kid from Love Actually. Some new interesting storylines developing, the Tyrell relationship with Joffrey in particular looks intriguing. Brilliant sword fight at the end, too. Jaime rules.

Edited by PunkStep

Yeah while the first episode wan't bad( Charles Dance and Peter Dinklage were superb in their scene together though), the second was a lot better. The new characters may have helped and a lot of the new things introduced were pretty cool. Diana Rigg was wonderful too

Edited by iamtheman

• Paid Members
Sorry to be Houchenus Pedanticus, but it was Paul Kaye.

Until my last breath I will ALWAYS get the two mixed up, which is why I normally just call him Dennis Pennis. Too many P Kayes in the world of comedy.

I really hate the dwarfs voice. It sounds so forced, like an Amdram production of aristocracy.

Yeah, sometimes it does sound a bit false, but I guess he can be forgiven a bit because I think he's the only American (or one of very few) in a main role with an English accent on the show. Baelish's voice however is becoming more and more false.

Edited by PunkStep

Joffrey's totally in over his little pea-head with this new lass, isn't he?

Just watched the first two episodes back-to-back, and I was also far more excited than any right-thinking person has a right to be about Ser Barristan turning up to join the Targaryen gang.

• Awards Moderator

Thought the second episode was great, really liking the new additions to the cast - I really liked Paul Kaye as Thoros of Myr (and his gang), and Diana Rigg was fantastic as Olenna Tyrell. In fact, I think the Tyrells might be my favourite thing about Game Of Thrones at the moment. Natalie Dormer is a brilliant Margaery, I love the effect she's having on Joffrey and particularly Cersei.

Brienne and Jaime's scenes were lots of fun this week, and I really liked Catelyn's story about baby Jon Snow. Robb's not doing so well at the moment without her advice - it'll be interesting to see what happens at Riverrun.

Oh yeah, poor Theon as well. He was an utter bastard last season, but those torture scenes were not pleasant viewing!

Has Varys been in it yet this year?

• Moderators
I think he gets forgiven because he's a dwarf. People don't want to appear like they are picking on a dwarf. Probably why that Steevo guy on here got away with being shite.

:laugh:

He was funny in 30 Rock and I find him really funny in this show; that's why I can forgive a bit of shit accent work.

You could argue that it sounding forced is part of the character, putting on airs trying to act more noble than he really is. (It's not true though).

• Paid Members
Baelish's voice however is becoming more and more false.

It drives me nuts how different he sounds since series 1. Comparing the scene where he's teaching Ros and Sahara Knite how to fuck (LOL) to virtually any of his scenes in series 2, it's like hearing different people speak.

EDIT -

You could argue that it sounding forced is part of the character, putting on airs trying to act more noble than he really is. (It's not true though).

That could be true of Littlefinger though, I suppose. His lands basically consisting of his house and some rocks.

I'm going to largely avoiding commenting on anything else as a reader of the books, because I'm guessing remarks like "it gets worse", "you have no idea" and "just you wait" might be interpreted as spoilerish. I will say, however, I don't see the point in the scene where Catelyn is shown to have ever felt anything other than hate for Jon. I know the series departs from the books often, but it seemed a bit pointless/random. Like "we don't have anything for Cat to do in this episode, what shall we do? Have her talk to Queen Nurse bint for a bit. About Jon, then we can cut to Jon's next scene."

Edited by air_raid

• Awards Moderator
Baelish's voice however is becoming more and more false.

It drives me nuts how different he sounds since series 1. Comparing the scene where he's teaching Ros and Sahara Knite how to fuck (LOL) to virtually any of his scenes in series 2, it's like hearing different people speak.

I'm going to largely avoiding commenting on anything else as a reader of the books, because I'm guessing remarks like "it gets worse", "you have no idea" and "just you wait" might be interpreted as spoilerish. I will say, however, I don't see the point in the scene where Catelyn is shown to have ever felt anything other than hate for Jon. I know the series departs from the books often, but it seemed a bit pointless/random. Like "we don't have anything for Cat to do in this episode, what shall we do? Have her talk to Queen Nurse bint for a bit. About Jon, then we can cut to Jon's next scene."

As I mentioned in my post, I really liked that bit. Yes, they didn't have anything for Cat to 'do' as such - so they give her something really interesting that gave us a bit more insight into what she's going through internally. Two children held prisoner (as far as she knows), two more missing presumed dead, one who's got her as prisoner, and one who went off to the Wall because she couldn't stand the sight of him. She's dragging herself through her entire life of motherhood, focusing on every mistake she's made and where she went wrong, because she's losing hope and is coming to terms with the fact her family will never be the same - or complete - again. Her attitude towards Jon (at the time of that scene, in any case) looks to be one she counts among her biggest mistakes.

It doesn't move the plot forward, no. But for Cat as a character, it helped further emphasise what she's all about - which stands in contrast to so many of the other characters, which makes it interesting, I think.

Also it got her some time with Robb's wife, who needed a bit of time away from Robb. So I was quite happy with it!

• Paid Members

I really liked that Cat bit as well, gave more history on her relationship with Jon and a bit of clarification of her feelings. You just want her to love him like a son, don't you? She's very good though.

Oh and watched the second episode again last night, Diana Rigg is easily the best thing in this series so far.

Edited by PunkStep