Game of Thrones - Season EIGHT (No book wankers)

Edit: I forgot about the BABIES IN JARS. Are...are they alive? Or not and Stannis' wife is just mental? I am guessing the latter.

I think it's the latter as I'm sure they refer to his wife only being able to provide still borns, or something to that effect.

• Awards Moderator
Edit: I forgot about the BABIES IN JARS. Are...are they alive? Or not and Stannis' wife is just mental? I am guessing the latter.

I think it's the latter as I'm sure they refer to his wife only being able to provide still borns, or something to that effect.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Mrs Stannis is weird.

A great episode this week, which I think really, really benefitted from focusing on just a few stories, and not jumping between about a hundred different ones like they have been doing. Arya's, Rob's, Jon's and Jaime/Brienne's stories were all helped a lot by that.

This week's 'Tywin Lannister Has Meetings With People' was a brilliant ending, with major consequences - I love the way Tywin has shaken up Tyrion and Cersei - and the Yarp/Dondarrion fight at the start was pretty good too. All hail the Lord of Light, for he can reattach shoulders and bring people back to life...

Rob is an idiot.

I mean, he's really an idiot. Not just for his surprise at the fact half his army left after he chopped their lord's head off (I understand why he did that - the two dead boys are equating in his mind to Bran and Rickon - but he's still an idiot for doing it) but for deciding to go to WALDER FREY for help. From what we saw in the first season, Frey has no stake in the war, and sees no advantage for him in it; he's very much a 'what's in it for me' type. He made Robb agree to marry one of his daughters in return for letting them cross the bloody road. God knows what he'll want in return for his army!

Sansa's an idiot too, she should have got out while she had the chance, but at least she can make the excuse of being a pawn in all the politics. Robb doesn't have that excuse.

I imagine the only thing Robb has to offer Walder Frey is to be King of the South. I constantly find myself defending Jamie then ending my defence with 'he'd be ok if he wasn't shagging his sister.' Speaking of which, I wonder if she will seek to form some sort of unholy union with Tyrion to thwart Tywins plans. Also the potential for Dany to ride bareback on a dragon whilst wiping out the white walkers is too boner inducing for me to wait and see if it happens on the show do I think I'll make a start on the books. Would people recommend reading ahead or is it better to keep pace with the show?

• Paid Members
Would people recommend reading ahead or is it better to keep pace with the show?

If you prefer your shocks on TV to be shocking, don't read ahead. You don't really want to know who betrays who, who marries who, who dies etc.

If you're a fast reader and get through A Game Of Thrones, A Clash Of Kings and Steel & Snow before the current series wraps up, DO NOT proceed to Blood & Gold, and don't even read the back cover of A Feast For Crows.

Would people recommend reading ahead or is it better to keep pace with the show?

If you prefer your shocks on TV to be shocking, don't read ahead. You don't really want to know who betrays who, who marries who, who dies etc.

If you're a fast reader and get through A Game Of Thrones, A Clash Of Kings and Steel & Snow before the current series wraps up, DO NOT proceed to Blood & Gold, and don't even read the back cover of A Feast For Crows.

yeah i have a friend whos just finished Game of Thrones and i told people who are on Clash of Kings or finishing it to wait until the end of this season to start reading A Storm of Swords. but i really do suggest people who are only show watchers to definitley eventually pick up the books at some point.

• Awards Moderator

I know Theon's been a cock, but even he doesn't deserve what he's being put through at the moment. I don't know who the guy playing the torturer is, but he plays the role of an utter unrelenting twat perfectly. That flaying scene was horrible. On the level of what Littlefinger let Joffrey do to Ros. Bastarding Joffrey.

The Cersei/Tyrion scenes were my favourite this week, and the 'various impending marriages' storyline is the one I'm most interested in seeing more of. Poor Sansa. And Shae, actually. And Tyrion. I like how we got some clarification that it was Joffrey who wanted Tyrion dead in the battle.

Robb wasn't so much of an idiot this week, but I still feel like I've barely got an idea who the two Tully guys are. If I hadn't read the book I'd have even less of an idea!

Jon was much more bearable this week as well, same for Ygritte. And what a lovely happy ending atop the Wall.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

The T.V. show hasn't given us the identity of the guy torturing Theon yet, so that there is a book spoiler. :angry:

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members

It has been hinted at, but not outrightly said.

It's Iwan Rheon, and he does creepy really well.

Also the Queen of Thorns is fast becoming a great character as well.

• Awards Moderator
The T.V. show hasn't given us the identity of the guy torturing Theon yet, so that there is a book spoiler. :angry:

Argh! Sorry, thought it had been mentioned in season 2 or in this year's casting announcements who he was. Reference removed.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator