Game of Thrones - Season EIGHT (No book wankers)

• Moderators

The passage of time definitely feels a bit confusing this season.

I'm not totally with everyone on how great that episode was tbh. They used redshirts to sell the bear attack and the zombie fights, and as a result there was zero tension except for the bit where Tormund nearly got dragged under. I feel like they would never have done this in the past - they always gave us a reason to care about someone before killing them, which is why all the deaths had such impact.

Twice in that episode they did the "unconscious lone figure at the gates" thing, which is already so overused it's a GOT cliché. Also the Benjen out of nowhere save was pretty uninspired. Don't get me wrong, overall I am enjoying the faster pace. But it feels like they're walking a fine line; they're getting dangerously close to it devolving into fan service and lazy writing, which makes it harder to care about the stuff happening.

I think daz has missed the point - it's not about "over-intellectualising" the show. I don't think anyone ever thought it was super smart, just well written fun tv. It would only ever be called genius when stood next to some complete mindless shite like The Walking Dead, and I just don't want the see the show to turn into that.

Anyway. At least there was no emo Bran that episode. Sansa is a fucking idiot and a turd. It's a close run thing which Stark sister I dislike more but she's winning it at the moment.

Oh, also. The Hound proved himself to be  a complete fucking liability beyond the wall, eh? Scared of a flaming bear, and his stupid rock throwing antics fucked them.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Linus said:

Two of the last 3 episodes have been amongst the half dozen most thrilling for me so :shrug:

Same, anyone who's been watching the last few episodes and hasn't got everything they want from Game of Thrones is coming from such a different angle to me I can't get my head round it. "This is too balls out awesome for me,  I wish it was slower with more long segments of old white dudes talking"

• Paid Members

I've decided after this season to read all the books that are currently out. I read either the first the or three before. The way I see it, I can get all the long, detailed traveling chapters from there and enjoy the show for what it is: awesome. 

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

I've decided after this season to read all the books that are currently out. I read either the first the or three before. The way I see it, I can get all the long, detailed traveling chapters from there and enjoy the show for what it is: awesome. 

Begone, fiend!

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

My absolute favourite thing about this season is that all those dickheads who have felt ashamed about watching it, and instead dressed it up as something it wasn't, or over-intellectualised it and tried to put normal folk down who watched it but 'didn't really get it', are having a hard time squaring the circle now it's gone full popcorn-fantasy frivolity.

I read some YouTube comments (more fool me) the other day from diehards going off on one about this series "lacking the depth" and being too balls out. I was "are you kidding??" They've spent six years making you give a shit (hopefully) about characters, their end games and the big picture, and now it's time to pay it off... and they're not happy. Yes, it's a bit rushed, but I've marked out like crazy the last few weeks. Some people, I'm convinced, are put on this Earth to never be happy.

Best of all a lot of these pricks are clearly book readers, and I'd have thought they'd value decent pay off, what with Crows being a terrible slog and Dance ostensibly being your reward for sticking with it. Hey ho.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, air_raid said:

I read some YouTube comments (more fool me) the other day from diehards going off on one about this series "lacking the depth" and being too balls out. I was "are you kidding??" They've spent six years making you give a shit (hopefully) about characters, their end games and the big picture, and now it's time to pay it off... and they're not happy.

Yeah the weird backlash this week is super dumb. 2 weeks ago, everyone was raving about the 'best episode ever', and now big stuff is going down, because we're 7 episodes from the end of this massive story, suddenly "Yes, this is very poor and has been on a downward slide for a while. The average wingspeed of a raven..."

I think to be fair, when looking back on the series as a whole, it suffered more from the slowness in Season 5 because they were still hanging too closely to the books. As soon as they got off the books, suddenly anything became possible and what would usually take five episodes was done in two or maybe even one. The pace has changed and I can see why some people are uncomfortable about it.

That being said, it's still thoroughly enjoyable and as you say, with the show beginning to culminate, it was natural that the pace would've picked up anyway as things came to a head. These are the scenes we've been waiting literally years for. It's stupid to start complaining about how we got there now.

• Awards Moderator

A lot of actual book wankers are crying tears of blood because we're getting action and 'holy shit' moments to put a cap on this epic story. Go visit the book subreddit (/r/asoiaf) of proper Dem Wans: entitled readers complaining every week that their books are getting shat on, and then watching it every week. They then race to the subreddit the next morning to post their rewrite of the entire episode. It's not unlike another circle of fandom...

• Paid Members

The main reason the proper Dem Wans are crying is that they know deep down in their tiny little stone hearts that they are going to have to wade through 1500 pages to get to the holy shot moments, and then wait another 5+ years for GRRM to write the last book. 

• Awards Moderator

Let's face it. He's dying before he finishes the whole saga. The next book is going to be nothing but self-indulgent scenes of eating food and pooing.

I couldn't care less about all the walking distances. Let's just assume they click fast-travel on the world map. It's not dramatically interesting.

• Paid Members

I don't really care about the travelling time - let's say it took 4 days then. So what? Did you want them to waste 3 episodes sitting on the ice talking about life?

And who says gravity is the same as Earth? Maybe ravens can fly faster in Westeros. Why weren't these dorks complaining about the fact that Wights don't really exist, or swords can't go on fire out of nowhere? Or virtually everything else not being based on Earth physics & reality?