Sign in to follow this  
Louch

Game of Thrones - Season EIGHT (No book wankers)

17 minutes ago, DEF said:

I'm in the CG was fine camp. I was more wondering why we waited two years for a 5 minute, farting about dragon play date. Otherwise I really liked the episode. I'd watch the season 7 finale the night before to remind me. I got my share of epic, so maybe I'm skewed.

It did come across a bit How To Train Your Dragon didnā€™t it?

On 4/15/2019 at 10:03 PM, StrongStyle said:

Urgently awaiting the high spots from this final series. That was boring, meandering padding akin to the earlier series before it had caught up with the books.

Have to disagree on it being padding. Just because it didn't go all in with battles etc from the get go, it doesn't make it an episode full of padding.

In fact I felt it was quite the opposite. I'm glad they didn't just gloss over the reunions of important characters, the dynamic shift due to the main alliance and things like that - especially when it would be incredibly easy to do so.

It was a meaningful episode full of purpose - both on an emotional level and strategically. It is a series about war after all. None of it was wasted time in my opinion - the dialogue was important, with necessary revelations to drive the story forward. Some nice tension with the questioning of loyalties and decision making etc.

I can see why some people would have found it boring, but I've seen series with far more meandering and padding - The Walking Dead for example - where I've sat through an entire episode and felt like I didn't get anywhere. At least with this opener I did feel like the pieces were moving significantly and towards an ultimate endgame (sorry Marvel).

One thing that depresses meĀ is that the north is certainĀ to be decimated in the coming episodes. It can't be Jon scrapes by, kills the dead then marches back on Kings Landing can it? It has to all end at Kings Landing with one last stand against the dead.

6 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

One thing that depresses meĀ is that the north is certainĀ to be decimated in the coming episodes. It can't be Jon scrapes by, kills the dead then marches back on Kings Landing can it? It has to all end at Kings Landing with one last stand against the dead.

Hound vs Mountain has to go on last, surely. That's the money main event.Ā 

1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

One thing that depresses meĀ is that the north is certainĀ to be decimated in the coming episodes.Ā 

They should have Thatcher's head on the ice dragon for full effect of decimating the north

Add me for no issues with the CGI. I've more of an issue that Jon riding the dragon should have been built up as a big issue, rather than just Harry riding the Hippogryph. It should have been the culmination of him finding his true parentage and therefore the ability to ride a dragon is in his blood and is his destiny.

Instead they threw it away like Brock v Austin. Jon should have taken his ball home.

Depends though - the revelation of the family tie and Samwell being crushed that his family were murdered might mean a sudden end to the Jon/Dani alliance, which means the only chance to do them riding together was now. We'll see. Plus it's a nice tie-in to his touching the dragon last season when clearly the dragon is letting him do it because he has Targaryen blood, but stupid Jon hasn't figured it out. We're all in on it but him, and seeing it all come together when Sam tells him was awesome for his facial expression - he cant fathom it, but the more you sense his mind racing, the more everything fits into place for him.