Game of Thrones - Season EIGHT (No book wankers)

• Moderators

Euron continues to be the star of this series. His finger up the bum quip to Jamie was fantastic. As was Jamie's continued emasculation by Olenna. He's pathetic. I'd like to hear from Air Raid as to whether he still thinks he's cool.

That said, he's clearly still a far better military tactician than his little brother.

I'm glad Jon didn't bend the knee to Danerys. Reminded me why I liked him in the first place, and also why I find her annoying.

• Paid Members
On 31/07/2017 at 6:16 PM, unfitfinlay said:

Tyrion's voiceover about how much Daenerys' people love her was a dead give away that someone had betrayed her even before Jaime said as much. Not sure who though: Varys is too obvious. I can't see Tyrion fucking up his own plans or trying to save Cersei. Missandei would kind of make sense, in that she's seen Dany do some horrible things in the past but then she's had plenty of opportunity to betray her in Essos. They could come up with some sort of explanation, I suppose, but it'd just feel a bit Russo to me.

You could build logic for it being Missandei, and for why nowĀ - she's in love with Grey Worm, and they've just got together.

Fearing her new lover isĀ being sent to a slaughter at a famouslyĀ unconquerable fortress (as per Tyrion's first scenario, and not knowing about the Whore Hole shortcut) she tips the Lannisters off that Highgarden is being left relatively undefended, figuring that they'll take much of their army off there, which turned out to be the case.

By doing so, she saves Grey Worm by giving him an easy fight at Casterly Rock, sacrificing House Martell, who she doesn't necessarily have any particular feeling for. She probably also did so before the news of the Greyjoy disaster broke (although the Ravens of Westeros appear to travel at warp speed, so who knows?)

It's an almost accidental screwing over of Dany's wider plan, clouded by love.

• Awards Moderator

Yeah, I don't get all the theories that she's being betrayed either. It feels to me more like they want to show conquering Westeros won't be as straightforward as she thought - she's never really lost before but it's happening now, and how she'll deal with it. I think the expectation of just being able to ride in and smash everything up has been quite nicely switched around to make her the underdog so when she does eventually win it'll be all the sweeter. She can sufferĀ defeats without one of her friends turning on her.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Statto said:

You could build logic for it being Missandei, and for why nowĀ - she's in love with Grey Worm, and they've just got together.

Fearing her new lover isĀ being sent to a slaughter at a famouslyĀ unconquerable fortress (as per Tyrion's first scenario, and not knowing about the Whore Hole shortcut) she tips the Lannisters off that Highgarden is being left relatively undefended, figuring that they'll take much of their army off there, which turned out to be the case.

By doing so, she saves Grey Worm by giving him an easy fight at Casterly Rock, sacrificing House Martell, who she doesn't necessarily have any particular feeling for. She probably also did so before the news of the Greyjoy disaster broke (although the Ravens of Westeros appear to travel at warp speed, so who knows?)

It's an almost accidental screwing over of Dany's wider plan, clouded by love.

That would work, I suppose,Ā  It still feels a bit convoluted though. She doesn't even know anybody in Westeros. How would she even get word to them? It's not like sabotaging Dany's war effort is going to help Grey Worm in the long run either.

It probably will be her though and Grey Worm will kill her for it. There's just no way that this show is giving us a romance that doesn't end in tragedy.

1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Did Jamie say outright that someone had betrayed her? I missed that.

I thought they were just showing him to be the better and more experienced military tactician by outsmarting her/Tyrion.

Nah. I'm watching it back now and I think I read too much into him saying that they knew the attack was coming. Tyrion had made it sound like it'd be completely unexpected. On second viewing it does seem more like he's talking strategy than anything else.

• Paid Members

I definitely don't think Dany has a traitor in the mists. It's more a case of they are overconfident and having been away from Westeros, Tyrion doesn't know that Casterly Rock's mines are dried up, making the Rock not as valuable as it once was. And Tyrion thinks Cersei is a jealous idiot that he can outsmart any day of the week. But Cersei has stepped up her game and is clearly well prepared.

I reckon Dany will get her heat back this week or the next though. She's going to pull out her Dothraki card and they will fuck the Lannisters up to even things out.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I definitely don't think Dany has a traitor in the mists. It's more a case of they are overconfident and having been away from Westeros, Tyrion doesn't know that Casterly Rock's mines are dried up, making the Rock not as valuable as it once was. And Tyrion thinks Cersei is a jealous idiot that he can outsmart any day of the week. But Cersei has stepped up her game and is clearly well prepared.

The Iron Born have been in the exact right place at the right time two episodes in a row though. That seems more than just preparation. Especially since Casterly Rock is on the opposite side of the continent than King's Landing and Dragonstone, where you'd imagine the main battles are going to be fought.

It could be as simple as Euron torturing the Casterly Rock plan out of Yara, I suppose.