Game of Thrones - Season EIGHT (No book wankers)

• Paid Members

Everything Tywin says is just bloody cool. Just like anything Diana Rigg (NO I STILL DON'T KNOW HER CHARACTERS NAME SO FUCK OFF) says. She's superb, I was giggling away like a schoolboy at every response she batted back to Cersei. If dialogue were tennis, she's be a serve and volley beast.

Someone suggested "Tywin Lannister has meetings with people" as a spin off series and I would most definitely watch it. I hope there's an episode where he summons Joffrey to his chambers and then sits and seals letters without addressing him for a full fifty minutes.

I'd be all over this. Hearing him quip "You're still here" at his obnoxious offspring all day. After the end of his scene, I'm eagerly anticipating anything involving him & Joffrey in future. It left me gagging for him to cut down the king to size.

Add me to the list that wants to see the fag piggy burn. He's such an obvious role that you feel you've seen his character in loads of things before.

• Moderators
I thought it was obvious that Dany would kill the bloke with her dragon, but the way she did it was magnificent.

Word.. exactly what I expected and hoped would happen but it played out brilliantly.

Concur with everything else that's been said about this episode as well. But what the shit was with that sorcerer in a cage stuff with Varys? That was a bit weird.

I still fucking hate Sansa, and still feel zero sympathy for Jamie Lannistar. He continues to get everything he deserves.

The Men with no Banners story is pretty cool; I like their little pirate cave (it looks like some kind of stronghold!) and I dig their whole steez. I also enjoyed The Hound's continuing utter contempt in the face of death.

With the Night's Watch imploding.. Howcome the old dude commanding them was so pussy anyway? Why did he afford that fat fuck so much courtesy when he was being such a dick? He had no backup or defences, just him and his daughter-wives.

• Paid Members

Maybe some other folks in Night's Watch upper managment were aware of Craster's White Walker appeasing arrangements and considered that to be the lesser of two evils? I thought that was part of Jon Snow's reasons for leaving them. I wasn't sure why else they'd tolerate Craster anyway.

Edited by JLM

• Moderators

That makes sense. I guess it was always going to come to a head in that case, as he was being deliberately obnoxious and provocative, thinking he was untouchable and the morale of the troops was low from being out there in a shitty spot for so long.

So I guess I'd still say it was weak leadership, but it makes sense.

• Paid Members

I think Craster also considered himself to be untouchable simply because the Night's Watch has zero allies beyond the wall and no source of information, food or shelter aside from him. It definitely was weak leadership though, and I think they've been portrayed as an increasingly toothless and frightened bunch for a while now, so something like this had to happen.

I should probably echo everyone else's comments about the episode too; absolutely fantastic stuff. I agree with those who say that Bran's stuff is the least interesting at the moment (him and Ser Jorah Friendzone are currently my two least favourite main cast members) but everything else was so good that it was still a near perfect hour of entertainment. It's crazy that it's hard for me to pick a highlight despite the ending being season finale-worthy. As good as that was, I think I enjoyed Tywin Lannister and Lady Tyrell's scenes even more.

I think they've been portrayed as an increasingly toothless and frightened bunch for a while now, so something like this had to happen.

Agreed, but I like that. The Nights Watch is made up of criminals, bastards, general outcasts, and maybe the odd disgraced knight (did Ser Janos ever turn up after Tyrion sent him to the Wall in Season 2?) not soldiers, so I like the way they seemed comfortable in their Castle at the Wall but now they are facing unknown danger their bottle seems to be going and they have become dissillusioned by their (now ex) leader.

Bran's stuff is the least interesting at the moment (him and Ser Jorah Friendzone are currently my two least favourite main cast members) but everything else was so good that it was still a near perfect hour of entertainment.

I still like Ser Jorah but he is in danger of slipping into the background with Ser Baristan hanging around as well. Bran's stuff is definitely the least interesting by some way, hopefully something will happen soon to liven him up.

The Hound was the star for me in this episode, his scene with Dondarrion and friends was great! Also, a lot of love for Varys in that slightly creepy scene and also Tywin. As good as Peter Dinklage is, Charles Dance should be headlining the cast IMO.

Regarding Craster - this is extra detail from the books so I'm putting it in spoiler tags (as I know this thread is supposed to be book free) - however it's not a spoiler, simply extra information regarding customs

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

"Guest Right" is very important in this world. Once you have eaten food offered by your host (even bread) neither the guest nor host should harm each other during the guest's stay - or they believe they'll suffer the wrath of the gods. It's supposedly an old tradition and one even a wildling would observe.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members
It's crazy that it's hard for me to pick a highlight despite the ending being season finale-worthy.

It wasn't hard for me, that was brilliant. Although speaking of hard, I'd be lying if I said I didn't stiffen a bit when Dany started speaking Valyrian, knowing damn well what was coming. The rest of my (non-book-reading) household marked out big style too. They're all softening slightly to Jaime despite him being a "bad guy."

They all appreciated the evil cunning of what

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Ramsay

[close spoiler]

");document.close(); did to Theon too.

• Paid Members
Jaime is a bad guy but he is starting to change.

Sure, but most of the worst things he's done have been for one of the noblest causes from the individual point of view.

He's cunning and manipulative but everything he does, he does for those he loves, for his family. He's always been there for Tyrion even though father and Cersei hated him, he refused to kill Ned Stark in a dishonourable manner outside Baelish's brothel, and he saved the smallfolk of King's Landing from being burned by the Mad King. All things considered, if you mentally ignore the part about him shagging his sister since he was old enough to pitch a tent, he's a pretty good guy. Well, apart from killing his own cousin to escape imprisonment by the Northmen, but that doesn't count. It wasn't in the fucking books. :p

Most people I tell that Jaime is my favourite character look at me aghast, and point out that "the Lannisters are the bad guys, the Starks are the good guys." But then, most people are idiots. They clam up when I ask them if Tyrion is a "bad guy." The over simplistic "good guys" and "bad guys" is completely not the tone of the show. The Starks are "the good guys" right? So, those guys that cut Jaime's hand off and were going to rape Brienne (until they realized there was profit in not) who serve in Robb's name - they're good guys? Or Lord Bolton who has seemingly supplanted The Greatjon (Mike from Casualty) as Robb's number 2 over the last two series, he's a good guy? He wanted Robb to flay prisoners to try and get information out of them. What about Stannis? He's a sworn enemy to the Lannisters (the "bad guys") so that makes him a good guy, right? Although... he uses black magic and killed his own brother in dishonourable fashion - and Renly seemed a decent sort, didn't he?

Here is a quote that sums it up perfectly :

Sure, but most of the worst things he's done have been for one of the noblest causes from the individual point of view.

He's cunning and manipulative but everything he does, he does for those he loves, for his family. He's always been there for Tyrion even though father and Cersei hated him, he refused to kill Ned Stark in a dishonourable manner outside Baelish's brothel, and he saved the smallfolk of King's Landing from being burned by the Mad King. All things considered, if you mentally ignore the part about him shagging his sister since he was old enough to pitch a tent, he's a pretty good guy. Well, apart from killing his own cousin to escape imprisonment by the Northmen, but that doesn't count. It wasn't in the fucking books. :p

Most people I tell that Jaime is my favourite character look at me aghast, and point out that "the Lannisters are the bad guys, the Starks are the good guys." But then, most people are idiots. They clam up when I ask them if Tyrion is a "bad guy." The over simplistic "good guys" and "bad guys" is completely not the tone of the show. The Starks are "the good guys" right? So, those guys that cut Jaime's hand off and were going to rape Brienne (until they realized there was profit in not) who serve in Robb's name - they're good guys? Or Lord Bolton who has seemingly supplanted The Greatjon (Mike from Casualty) as Robb's number 2 over the last two series, he's a good guy? He wanted Robb to flay prisoners to try and get information out of them. What about Stannis? He's a sworn enemy to the Lannisters (the "bad guys") so that makes him a good guy, right? Although... he uses black magic and killed his own brother in dishonourable fashion - and Renly seemed a decent sort, didn't he?