The actual proper Wrestlemania 29 Thread

Up Chuck

• Paid Members
I can't help thinking HBK is going to cost HHH the match either deliberately ('soz mate, had to save you from yourself. You can't do it anymore. But, pssssssst, the subtext is that I'm the showstopper and I can't have you stealing my thunder.') or accidentally ('soz mate, I've got a wonky eye.')

If Shawn costs him his career, by the laws of pro wrestling that means it'll have to be Triple H vs Shawn Michaels next year. They'll find away around it, because if Shawn costs Triple H his career that means jealously, arguments and all that other stuff will come up and they'll end up fighting. They planted tension in the build to WrestleMania last year with Undertaker saying Shawn was better and Triple H looking angry. And most will forgive Michaels if he returns at a show like WrestleMania 30. There's only so many times they can play this role with Shawn Michaels.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That idea of Ryback and Henry battling through the mini-city set-up is the best idea ever and clearly has to happen. If we get a Godzilla/King Kong-style mega-metropolis brawl, I will mark into a frenzy.

I'm hoping to see something similar at Kaiju Big Battle on Saturday night, never heard of it before it was announced for Wrestlecon, went on their website and the description is something along the lines of "Live monster wrestling" . It really does look like a bad trip from Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas.

• Paid Members
Looking forward to this one.

Add me to the list of those excited by Mark Henry vs. Ryback. I love both these guys, the build to it has been superb and I can't wait to see them collide.

I'm also ridiculously excited by Jericho vs. Fandango. Fandango has been my favourite thing on wrestling TV for the last month or so (the skit where he made Khali try to say his name had me in tears of laughter).

Both of these just perfectly sum up what I look for in pro wrestling.

This.

Greetings from Secaucus btw.

• Paid Members
His hot streaks are incredible, but he's been off the boil for the majority of his career, really. I don't think he'll be turning on Sunday but I think it's practically guaranteed within the year. Whether they have him near the title will be the interesting thing - when Rock and Lesnar bugger off, will they go with Punk/Cena which Vince is sick of, or Orton/Cena which everyone else on Earth is sick of and might cause Pitcos to top himself?

I dunno. Maybe feud him with Sheamus, try to bring Sheamus up a level again to fill the main event gaps during the down months. I do think he's turning, I don't think it'll lead to another hot streak.

I'd rather they turned Sheamus on Orton. The latter is much better as a face at this point.

His hot streaks are incredible, but he's been off the boil for the majority of his career, really. I don't think he'll be turning on Sunday but I think it's practically guaranteed within the year. Whether they have him near the title will be the interesting thing - when Rock and Lesnar bugger off, will they go with Punk/Cena which Vince is sick of, or Orton/Cena which everyone else on Earth is sick of and might cause Pitcos to top himself?

If Orton turns, they'll decide that three and a bit years is long enough for him vs Cena to be fresh again. Unless Orton's turn involves a personality overhaul, they'll be wrong. It'll be exactly the same guys in exactly the same position as last time. So what else is there for heel Orton? Another run with Del Rio, after their million fine-but-meaningless matches in 2012? Orton vs Big Show, which has probably already seen an hour of in-ring time this past year. Orton vs Sheamus is a decent prospect but not if they do it 17 pay-per-views in a row like Sheamus vs Del Rio. Besides that, there's Orton vs Bryan (good), Orton vs Kane (fuck off), Orton vs Ryback (intriguing), Orton vs Miz (don't care), and maybe Orton vs Kofi again. I suppose it's better than baby face Orton, whose options are exclusively opponents he's traded pointless wins with since 2011.

Cena's options for the rest of 2013 aren't great either. Him and Punk must be kept apart at all costs, although they're so far above everyone else full-time that that's impossible. Freshish opponents for Cena: Ryback, which would seem much bigger if they hadn't already wrestled at Survivor Series and if Ryback hadn't looked a chump for six months solid... Henry, who'll be screwed if he loses at Wrestlemania and who'll be injured again soon anyway... Cesaro, who is probably less over with WWE crowds now than he was before his debut (when the "he's got all the tools to be great in WWE" talk hadn't been proven to be bollocks)... Barrett, but he's got nowhere near the momentum needed to feud with Cena... Sandow, who has been all over the place credibility-wise and though more entertaining than Cesaro and Barrett, is probably as likely to be a comedy squash Raw opponent than a ppv challenger... A rehash with The Shield... Something with Swagger.

For both Cena and heel Orton, there's probably just about enough to keep them ticking over without having to pit them against each other, but little to nothing that actually trumps the value of Cena vs Orton. And I mean the actual value, not the imaginary dream match scenario that WWE likes to position it as. Even in reality, even after Orton's decline, it's still a bigger match than most alternatives. I hope it doesn't happen. I skip most of Orton's stuff on Smackdown, I'd hate it if he was in Raw's main stories again.

Edit: What a miserable twat I am there, a few days before wrestlemania.

On a more positive note than my previous post...

I'm looking forward to the show a little bit disappointed that its Cena/Rock 2, given Cena's lack of in-ring skills

You're an idiot.

I'm really looking forward to Rock vs Cena. Wasn't a big fan of the match last year, but they've been great in the build-up and sold it to me as massive. Cena's been dropping lots of hints about doing something drastic as well. I'll be glued to it.

I've enjoyed the Undertaker vs CM Punk storyline, and the big comeuppance should be fun. With Taker knackered and Punk injured, I'm interested in seeing how the match plays out. They're two masters, and they're bound to have some surprises up their sleeves. Could be this year's "18 seconds" which would be great, or a big squash annihilation, which would be great too. My expectations are quite high for this one.

I want The Shield to break up or do something different. They've gone steadily downhill since TLC finished, interest-wise. They're stuck in a holding pattern. So I'm rooting for the other team here. Should be a fun match, but my problem with it all along has been it's weaker on paper than their match last month. Don't care about the other two tag matches, or Triple H vs Lesnar.

I'm in full agreement with everyone who has loved the Jericho-Fandango and Ryback-Henry stories, and I really want to see that Godzilla-style rampage idea. I can't wait for Jericho and Fandango's entrances. If it's on early in the night, Jericho's normal entrance won't work, and Fandango's is epic every week. A win here would be huge for Fandango too.

Cena's options for the rest of 2013 aren't great either. Him and Punk must be kept apart at all costs, although they're so far above everyone else full-time that that's impossible. Freshish opponents for Cena: Ryback, which would seem much bigger if they hadn't already wrestled at Survivor Series and if Ryback hadn't looked a chump for six months solid... Henry, who'll be screwed if he loses at Wrestlemania and who'll be injured again soon anyway... Cesaro, who is probably less over with WWE crowds now than he was before his debut (when the "he's got all the tools to be great in WWE" talk hadn't been proven to be bollocks)... Barrett, but he's got nowhere near the momentum needed to feud with Cena... Sandow, who has been all over the place credibility-wise and though more entertaining than Cesaro and Barrett, is probably as likely to be a comedy squash Raw opponent than a ppv challenger... A rehash with The Shield... Something with Swagger.

Agreed. The thought of a face champion Cena leaving Mania dosen't fill me with any excitement whatsoever.

This is why I'm feeling that a Cena heel turn is a genuine possibility. A heel Cena has more potentially interesting matches vs Ryback, Orton, Sheamus, Rock rematches, a tweener Lesnar, a returning face Punk and capped off with a match vs. the Taker at Mania 30. Plus there seems to be more face cannon fodder for Cena to face on free TV (Kingston, Miz, Del Rio etc).

Personally I'm really looking forward to Mania. Although the build has been weak, I think the card has real potential to pull out a cracking show.

Heel Cena has even less options than face Cena, because WWE will do face vs face main event feuds (especially with Cena) but very rarely heel vs heel ones.

I guess you're right and therefore face Cena has "more" options, but (personally speaking) I would be more intrigued by the heel run. Heel Cena vs. Ryback seems more intriguing than Face Cena vs. Ryback for example.

Out of curiosity, what would you prefer?

How can face Cena have more options than heel Cena after being a face for his entire run (barring a brief bit at the start?)

I'm not saying you're wrong, PITCOS, it's just a strange place to be in.

• Paid Members

You wonder what's going to make The Rock stick around until Extreme Rules. If he's getting his title re-match, then I'm not sure they'll want their biggest star losing on two PPVs in a row (certainly not clean, anyway).

A Cena heel turn instantly freshens up his character, which should save them suddenly going back into Cena auto-pilot mode. Both Cena and WWE can try new stuff, that will surely make him the most interesting character on the show.

I just hope we get a Cena/Sheamus program at some point this year. The matches will be cracking.

Also, that set has the potential to be their best ever.

• Moderators

I'd just like to echo the love for the Ryback/Henry build.

As much as I love monsters crushing little guys, history has repeatedly drilled into me that monster vs monster matches are always a letdown. And yet they've still managed to get me really pumped for this. Hope it lives up to expectations. Although now it won't unless we get the Godzilla brawn.

I think Punk/Taker is going to be great. Really excited for that.

Jericho/Fandango is probably the one I'm most invested in in terms of rooting for one guy over the other. Really really want Fandango to pick up the win here.

I'm sure Brock/HHH and Rock/Cena will deliver on the night but I'm not as excited mostly because we've seen them before, and also I just expect them to deliver on the night so haven't been giving them much thought prior.

On the most recent RAW out of all four of them the only time I paid any attention to what was going on was when Paul Heyman was talking.

Couldn't care less about Tippin' Scales, but I do love me some Rhodes Scholars so I'm glad they made the card. I hope they get to do some talking and the actual match length is minimal.

I'm disappointed by how little I care about the Shield match, but still hopeful that it will deliver.

On a more positive note than my previous post...

I'm looking forward to the show a little bit disappointed that its Cena/Rock 2, given Cena's lack of in-ring skills

You're an idiot.

I'm really looking forward to Rock vs Cena. Wasn't a big fan of the match last year, but they've been great in the build-up and sold it to me as massive. Cena's been dropping lots of hints about doing something drastic as well. I'll be glued to it.

Yes...it's similar to Austin telling The Rock how he HAS to win their match at WM17 no matter what, he has to win - but I don't expect a move to the dark side, just Cena tapping into it to piss off the (mostly hostile) NY crowd while managing to keep his fans onside.

• Paid Members

I think the Punk/Taker match will probably be the most satisfying thing on the card. The build wasn't for everybody (I thought it was a good twist on the Streak angle), but the spectacle of watching Punk getting a much needed pasting followed by a grand Wrestlemania-style tribute to Paul Bearer is going to be something special.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they do for Fandango's 'Mania entrance. Surely they've got something big planned for Vince's new favourite wrestling character.

Archived