The actual proper Wrestlemania 29 Thread

Up Chuck

• Paid Members
I'd disagree with your assessment of the mixed tag as "Filler". Filler is one thing this card doesn't need.

It's clearly "Get Cena's bit of fluff on the card. If it helps keep Bryan happy too, all the better."

You're not wrong, but I was coming up short for witty headers for that one.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope Orton gets his moment, preferably a turn.

I know he's gone a bit dull the past few months, but he was fucking electric at one point. And, when he's 'on' he really is the embodiment of the perfect professional wrestler.

I'd like to see him get another chance as the big cheese.

• Paid Members

His hot streaks are incredible, but he's been off the boil for the majority of his career, really. I don't think he'll be turning on Sunday but I think it's practically guaranteed within the year. Whether they have him near the title will be the interesting thing - when Rock and Lesnar bugger off, will they go with Punk/Cena which Vince is sick of, or Orton/Cena which everyone else on Earth is sick of and might cause Pitcos to top himself?

I dunno. Maybe feud him with Sheamus, try to bring Sheamus up a level again to fill the main event gaps during the down months. I do think he's turning, I don't think it'll lead to another hot streak.

I'd disagree with your assessment of the mixed tag as "Filler". Filler is one thing this card doesn't need.

It's clearly "Get Cena's bit of fluff on the card. If it helps keep Bryan happy too, all the better."

You're not wrong, but I was coming up short for witty headers for that one.

Cena's slamming Cody? :confused:

Ah, Wrestlemania. I entered the Road to Wrestlemania with so much anticipation, but the build has left me a little flat. Rematches abound and despite having 6 hours a week between Raw, Smackdown and Main Event, it doesn't feel like much of it has had a substantial build. That's what happens when part-timers clog up the main events, I guess.

Cena vs Rock will suffer immensely from Rock's Herculean build, just as the Punk matches did. Although a good performance, Rock was visibly blown up at last year's Mania, and he's much bulkier and slower now. The promos leading to this match have been much better than last year, but the Rock's recent outings don't fill me with confidence.

Undertaker is falling to pieces physically, and I think what his match with CM Punk will show is whether or not Punk is the elite wrestler he envisions himself to be, having a proverbial match with a broom. Sorry, I love Taker, but he's practically immobile and moves like a 67 year old. The last two Manias have seen WWE use every amount of gimmicks and reliance on storytelling they could muster to hide Taker's weakness. Punk doesn't have the goodwill or the history with Taker like HBK and HHH to pull a dialogue-heavy emotional ride, and there's no stipulation to use chairs, tables and the like, he needs a miracle for a good Wrestlemania performance. I sincerely hope Taker doesn't attempt the patented dive this year, every year he looks that bit closer to killing himself.

Triple H vs. Lesnar... was anyone apart from Triple H clamouring for this rematch? With Lesnar signing a 2 year deal, I'm really keen to see him tangling it up with the Punks and Sheamuses of the world. Just for my own personal markdom, I'd love to see Lesnar vs. Jericho, but Jericho isn't in that position unfortunately.

Speaking of Jericho, his match with Fandango is possibly my most anticipated of the show, for two reasons. One, it's probably the best built match on the show, and two, it's a good use of a part timer, putting them against a wrestler who isn't just on the show for a Mania payday. Jericho has been highly entertaining since returning, he seems energised both on the mic and in the ring. I don't think Fandango will be a main event guy, but he'd be a good addition to the upper midcard.

Ryback vs. Henry could be something special. Obviously, they're setting up for Ryback's feat of strength by Shellshocking Henry (Ryback said exactly that in an interview). If that's the route they do take, I hope they drill it before going on the grand stage. My mind can't shake seeing Ryback struggle to lift Tensai on Raw and a beer keg on NXT.

I've seemed pretty negative about the show, but I think they'll find a way to deliver, it is Wrestlemania and WWE always find a way. I'm not filled with anticipation though. Surprise me, WWE.

• Paid Members
Obviously, they're setting up for Ryback's feat of strength by Shellshocking Henry (Ryback said exactly that in an interview). If that's the route they do take, I hope they drill it before going on the grand stage. My mind can't shake seeing Ryback struggle to lift Tensai on Raw and a beer keg on NXT.

He's actually hit it on Tensai before, on Smackdown a few weeks before the Raw match. And yeah, they'll practise it, they're not gonna want to fuck it up.

I agree that the Taker/Punk match could do with a gimmick of some kind, but I think they've been a bit lazy with a few of their match-type choices.

It's a shame that they weren't more creative with the Lesnar/HHH match. No-one seems to be buying the retirement stipulation very much, and I thought with Lesnar/Heyman picking the match we were bound to get some type of a cage match, just to play up the whole "playing by Brock's rules" thing. Knockout or Submission in a cage would have been great fun.

By making it just a No Hold Barred match (which just means no DQ/count-out and plunder is fine), they've taken away that option from The Shield's match - where it would have been perfect for an all-out brawl between 6 guys. The 6 man TLC with the Shield Vrs Ryback and Hell No was excellent stuff, and I can't see this regular 6 man match being all that great.

• Paid Members

The 6 man at Elimination Chamber wasn't no DQ was it? And that was absolutely banging. There's something about Sheamaa and Reigns against each other I love. I get the impression they love knocking the shit out of each other.

I'm with Hat Guy on this and I think I'm about the only person who's enjoyed the build and is moderately hyped for the show. I'm into Rock-Cena a thousand million times more than I was last year, I've enjoyed the build, particularly when they've been together, although they've both been great throughout, both again much better than last year. It feels really, really significant, it's a great, long term story which I love and it genuinely feels like something big is going down that could shake things up.

I'm all over Brock vs Triple H and I think it will really deliver this time round. I really wish Michaels weren't fucking involved, that's put a bit of a dampner on things but I still think this could be top class and much more like the Cena encounter most are after. And Trips is rapidly becoming my hero. His new haircut is lovely.

I fucking love everything about Ryback - Henry. The build has been tremendous, I love a no nonsense trash talking destroyer and these guys do it tremendously. I have a slight worry they won't mix well together but hopefully they do and it's a proper meaty encounter. It feels like it's Gozilla vs King Kong or even Tetminator vs Predator! And the smashing through mini NYC is brilliant. Menry clubbing Ryback with the Empire State Building needs to happen.

The only one i really strongly don't care for is Punk vs Undertaker. I agree with the general consensus in the Raw thread, could have been something tasty, but I'm not feeling it at all. Liked the initial tribute show homage but the rest has felt decidedly desperate. It's a massive waste of The Undertaker. He's not needed this year and its actuly taken some shine off the streak. Could have been truly massive if he held off returning until the big 3 zero.

I'm not crazy about the 6 man and I think everyone involved could be given something more substantial. The match will probably deliver with who's involved though, just hope it leads them all into something decent post-Mania. Could simply be The Shirld tasting their first loss and the beginning of them separating. Hope not though.

• Paid Members

Orton is probably turning in the Shield match, so that is more or less the focus in that one. And having a big six man war followed by a heel turn is probably a little much for a match going on fairly early. And Ambrose, Rollins, Sheamus and Orton are pretty much as good as you get, so a six man tag match sounds pretty great. Roman and Big Show are in fine form, too. I think that match is going to be great.

The 6 man at Elimination Chamber was indeed a regular rules match and it was really, really good, so you are dead right there.

I just think that the Cena/Ryback/Sheamus team is about the best 3 man face team WWE could put together. This one seems a bit of a comedown in comparison and Orton bores the arse off me in general whatever he is doing. I guess I was just hoping for something like the LOD/Ahmed Vrs Nation 6 man Chicago Streetfight from Mania years back. I'm also not really keen on Show being a reluctant face. It just feels a bit too rammed together for me to get into, and I think The Shield are brilliant in general.

I read earlier that Kaitlyn and AJ could be added to the Tag Team Title match with the Divas title on the line also, which I can't imagine many of you care about but thought I'd bring up anyway.

I'm looking forward to the show a little bit disappointed that its Cena/Rock 2, given Cena's lack of in-ring skills and that arguably the Rock has somewhat lost some of his electricity and skill as well, I can't imagine were going to see anything greatly different to what we were offered last year, which all things considerd was hardly a stellar match. I think a rematch would have been suited on another PPV that could have done with a ratings boost. For me this years WrestleMania has lost some of its appeal because of its repackaged main-event, I think the fans deserve something more creative and original personally espessially on the grandest stage of them all but with that said I could be pleasantly suprised if Cena/Rock manage to pull out of the bag something special and captavating but I'm not holding my breath.

I hope Triple H/Lesnar lives up to my expectations I found their last match a little clumsy mainly because of Brock attempting his UFC offence on occasions, he lumbered about and looked out of place a total styles clash which looked akward to me but hopefully he's worked on that and brings a more smooth less heavy handed approach to the match but with just as much intensity. I'd actually like to see Lesnar wrestle the match not over do his UFC stuff. Then again with the match being a No Holds Barred match I can't imagine were going to see much in the way of actual wrestling anyway. Iv got a feeling there's going to be some pretty memorable bumps and moments in this match. I'd still like to see Vince cost Triple H the match, leading to Vince vs Triple H at next years WrestleMania with full control of WWE on the line but I can't imagine its actually going to happen.

Cena's the ultimate big match wrestler and Rock's not too far behind, it's a clash of two charismatic powerhouses and they're going to go 30 minutes, yes we're gonna get a shit load of finishers, yes we're going to get some of the same shit we got the first time round but surely the dynamic WILL change and Cena will heel it up with a ferocious pro-Rock New York crowd against him, I can't wait for it, it's fucking WWE at it's best. I can't believe people blab on about Cena's lack of a Davey Richards move set still.

• Paid Members
I'm looking forward to the show a little bit disappointed that its Cena/Rock 2, given Cena's lack of in-ring skills

That's it. I'm going to stick my head in the oven.

Archived