UFC 159: 'Jones vs Sonnen'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

i think Chael may have a decent first round and i'd love to see him put Jones on his back, but other than doing to Jones what he did to Anderson in their first fight i just cant see how Chael can win this fight...and there's no way he's holding Jones down for 5 rounds.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I think Jones is the absolute nightmare style for Chael. At least Anderson was takedownable (?). Jones' MMA wrestling is top notch, he's never been taken down once. I don't see Chael changing that and if he does score a takedown I think Jones will be either too hard to hold down or he'll submit Chael. If Chael's wrestling fails then I think he'll go into panic mode like when he couldn't get the takedown in the second fight with Anderson.

Jones is bigger, faster, younger, taller, more well rounded, a better striker, strong as fuck, unpredictable, hard to hit, fucking great at submissions (which has been Chael's undoing many a time). If you were designing Chael kryptonite, you'd end up with Jon Jones.

I'd love to be proven wrong and Chael makes a good fight of it but I can't see him lasting longer than two rounds tops.

^You just articulated exactly why I dislike the match-up. I don't even hate Chael to the point I want to see him get his ass kicked, it's just that he has so little to offer Jones. Chael is a legit fighter, but his ability to talk far outstrips his ability to fight.

At least it will be a chance to see Jon Jones do his thing. It feels like forever since the guy fought considering how busy he was when he first won the gold. 4 fights in a calender year, now he's doing the GSP/Anderson standard 2.

• Paid Members
^You just articulated exactly why I dislike the match-up. I don't even hate Chael to the point I want to see him get his ass kicked, it's just that he has so little to offer Jones. Chael is a legit fighter, but his ability to talk far outstrips his ability to fight.

At least it will be a chance to see Jon Jones do his thing. It feels like forever since the guy fought considering how busy he was when he first won the gold. 4 fights in a calender year, now he's doing the GSP/Anderson standard 2.

You do realise he hasn't been able to fight due to an arm injury?

• Paid Members

Yeah, that's the thing though, just look at it as another chance to see Jones do his thing. Not every title defence in a champion's reign will be a concrete #1 vs #2 situation. Especially a dominant champion like Jones who has already almost cleaned out the division. Sometimes they need a fresh body to feed a guy like that, and when that body can talk a fight up like Chael it's no bad thing.

All the great champions have these type of defences from time to time;

Ali had his Chuck Wepner.

Tyson had Marvis Frazier.

Anderson had Thales Leites.

GSP had Dan Hardy.

And Jones has Chael Sonnen. Jones is young as well, there's plenty of time for him to fight everyone.

As for where Chael goes with a loss, I really wouldn't be surprised if he retired. He's set, FOX love him, Zuffa love him. He loves competing though so he might hang around. If he fights on I wouldn't be surprised if we got Sonnen vs Wanderlei or Belfort by year's end.

You do realise he hasn't been able to fight due to an arm injury?

I had forgotten. :blush: Damn Vitor. I guess that lessens my criticism of the whole TUF thing. Hendo would have been a better coach and resulting fight though, his injury didn't keep him out for long at all.

Feed Jones more? :laugh:

• Paid Members

I've just soiled my britches!!

Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani 2h

Campaigning to replace Proctor at 159. RT @TheNotoriousMMA: @danawhite I WOULD LOVE TO TAKE THIS!! Let me know @seanshelby @lorenzofertitta

----------------------

That's Conner McGregor for anyone not aware of his twitter name.

• Paid Members
That's Conner McGregor for anyone not aware of his twitter name.

Sorry to be pedantic but it's Conor, which is the Irish way of spelling it. I know this because my girlfriend loves the name for some reason and wants to name the baby Conor if it's a boy. She doesn't know who McGregor is, she just likes the name. I might agree if we can refer to him at all times as 'The Notorious' like his namesake. And do his hair the same of course. I'll have to have him work on his left uppercut.

I'd love to see McGregor step in. He was on the MMA Hour earlier this week;

here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6zV-FQGYXM

and he was saying he's wanting to stay active. He was even on about asking the UFC if he can take part in a no-gi grappling competition to stay busy. I just hope he doesn't get too ahead of himself. Taking short notice fights can work out well and pay off big time (Varner vs Barboza), it can also go wrong and derail you needlessly because you didn't give yourself time to rest between fights/prepare. I'm sure he knows what he's doing but I'd hate to see him get carried away and lose a fight he shouldn't be losing because he steps in last minute.

• Paid Members

And my creaming has been squashed...Al Iaguinta has pulled out of his fight via injury. Probably bottled it after finding out McGregor was interested.

And yes Wand, that's pedantic, very pedantic indeed.

• Paid Members

Heh sorry. It's a touchy subject, I'm up to here with baby names and correct spellings of them at the minute, and Conor is one that's come up a lot. Plus, as a part Paddy myself I'd be letting the side down if I let your grammatical error go by without mention. B'Jaysus, feck, potatoes and all that Irish stuff.

Anyone kept up with this Bisping-Belcher stuff? Belcher offered a bet that if Bisping KOs him in round 1, he'll give him a car. But if he KOs Bisping in round 1, Bisping has to give him something of similar value.

Bit lame to be honest but interestingly, Bisping was playing along at first but then backed off the bet saying "let's just fight". Maybe he's not as confident as he makes out?

I do think people are really underestimating Belcher. Our poll has it 16-2 for Bisping currently. Belcher has a good chance though, especially with Bisping coming off getting KOd.

• Paid Members

Heh sorry. It's a touchy subject, I'm up to here with baby names and correct spellings of them at the minute, and Conor is one that's come up a lot. Plus, as a part Paddy myself I'd be letting the side down if I let your grammatical error go by without mention. B'Jaysus, feck, potatoes and all that Irish stuff.

Anyone kept up with this Bisping-Belcher stuff? Belcher offered a bet that if Bisping KOs him in round 1, he'll give him a car. But if he KOs Bisping in round 1, Bisping has to give him something of similar value.

Bit lame to be honest but interestingly, Bisping was playing along at first but then backed off the bet saying "let's just fight". Maybe he's not as confident as he makes out?

I do think people are really underestimating Belcher. Our poll has it 16-2 for Bisping currently. Belcher has a good chance though, especially with Bisping coming off getting KOd.

Have you seen Bisping's response to Belcher's bet? It's absolutely hilarious.

Basically Bisping made an off cuff comment about betting that he would knock Belcher out. But it wasn't serious and wasn't even aimed at Belcher. The next thing we see Belcher making some bet in his gym about getting a tattoo of the Union Jack on his chest if Bisping knocks him out in round 1. Then Belcher films perhaps the most ridiculous and pompous video with one of his mates who is supposedly an american sports star in the back of this guys car. The car is some super expensive beast and this guy is spouting out all this bile about if Bisping can knock out Belcher he will give Bisping his 300k car. He then asks Bisping to put up something of similar value. All this going on while Belcher has his baby girl on his lap looking on. The both of them come across as a couple absolute morons.

Anyway, as a response Bisping meets up with one of his car dealer mates, looks up and down some amazing cars, but proceeds to pick out of those tiny Fiat 500's and sit in the back of one of those as parody of Belcher's stupid video.

Believe me when I say Bisping comes out of it looking a lot smarter than Belcher and basically ends it saying forget these stupid bets and that he's going to destroy Belcher.

• Paid Members

Ah right I didn't see the whole thing then. I missed Bisping's response. I forgot the tattoo bit as well, Belcher said if he loses he'll get a Union Jack but if he wins Bisping would have to get the same Johnny Cash tattoo Belcher has.

And yeah, Belcher is a cock. I really like his fighting style but he does come across as a bellend.

Still, I stand by my view that Belcher is being sold short here. It's a tough fight to call but it definitely won't be an easy fight for either. I could see it going either way on points but if there's a finish I think it will be by Belcher.

• Paid Members

Interesting tweet from Dan Hardy in response to Jon Jones' recent tweet to Sonnen:-

Dan Hardy ‏@danhardymma 5h

Since when did promoting a fight mean accusing your opponent of using steroids? Can't be good for the sport right...? #JustDontDoIt

I have to agree with him.

Archived