UFC 159: 'Jones vs Sonnen'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Him still doing the interview as the injury shock set in looked far harder for Jones than anything in the fight. Hats off to him for that, it was a nasty injury & pretty damn professional from the champ.

Jones just radiates what you want from a modern sports star.

He has crossover appeal, is personable and has a great look that sponsors love. The UFC can rub their hands together at sending him on talk shows or putting him on billboards, he makes UFC look more like a sport and less like a fringe interest.

Even past UFC figurehead Chuck Liddel as great as he was, looked like a redneck and was not the most personable to talk to. Chuck in many ways confirmed the "cage fighter" stereotype by appearing pissed on talk shows before fights and sporting a sizable gut. Jones looks like a NFL or NBA player, mainstream acceptance and human nature will welcome that more than Tim Sylvia or Tank Abbott with their man boobs on display.

Yeah he got into a bit of trouble last year with his D.U.I, but it was not as serious a incident as some professional sportsmen who have been forgiven (Kobe Bryant with his rape allegation)

I hope Jones keeps on going and keeps on winning, he is fantastic for the sport. Unless he faces Anderson or Machida, I cannot see myself routing against him for a while, which will make a nice change.

Edit: Oh and to the above, I think UFC are expecting this to do 700-800k, so yeah it was expected to be a big event with who was headlining.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

well that was one of the weirdest shows in some time, Rogan said the night was cursed during the prelims and he was right.

* I had a feeling we may see Jones do that to Chael, like everyone knew it was a massive uphill task for Sonnen whatever way the way you looked at it but the way in which he defeated him must be totally disheartening for Sonnen. No fighter in the world will want to be under Jones, his ground and pound from top position makes me wince, it's brutal.

As for Jones antics coming in, and the little rituals he has, they grate on me and he seems to add to it everytime he fights but it does make me feel like we're about to see something special even if do wanna see him get his clock cleaned.

One's things for sure, Anderson Silva should not fight Jon Jones, i think he'll get destroyed.

The toe thing would have been a disaster, is it confirmed that it would have been called a TKO for Sonnen if the round had finished? that would have been insane.

* Pat Healy was the fighter of the night, fucking brilliant. I said i was a Healy fan going in and he went in and bascially broke Jim Miller down, he had a rough first round but after that he was all business. Healy's a nightmare for anyone at 155, massive, grinding style and tough as nails. I was half worried that Healy would get left behind after Strikeforce because he was held back for so long in that promotion but he arrived in the UFC in style. $130,000 in bonuses too!

I think Jim Miller's gonna assume a Yushin Okami type position at 155, a top level gatekeeper, he never seems to get over tha hump.

* Nelson/Kongo, it's becoming routine for Nelson these days. Right hand thrown, fights over. I thought Kongo looked like a deer in the headlights from the opening, not quite sure what he planned on doing it looked like he was inviting the right hand. Nelson can't be far from a crack at the belt, 3 KO's in a row and based on the fan reaction after the fight they'll pay to see it.

* Im convinced something was wrong with Alan Belcher, he was in his shell most of the fight. For an aggressive striker like him he just seemed like he didn't want to be in there. I don't know if it was a case of Bisping being better than he expected which demoralised him, the nonsence with the ankle wraps or if he was genuinely hurt, he just looked bad. Bisping looked great though, cautious opening but he turned up the pressure the more the fight went on and whilst a lack of any serious fight ending power is always gonna be a critiscm you can't say it's through lack of trying.

The eye poke was horrible though, hopefully Belcher's ok.

* Vinny/Davis was horrible. I think Vinny's approach going in was to say so much shit that he'd goad Davis into a ground battle, and from the way Davis responded i thought it was gonna happen which is why people got excited for it. You can't blame Davis for what he did, it was a the clearest path to victory and did give him chance to work on his hands in a fight but you can't look to much into it because he was basically boxing a static target that barely threw back. Poor fight.

* Prelims were abit hit and miss, Carraway/Bedford was the pick of the Fuel ones. The McMann/Gaff fight was good in that it introduced McMann which i think was probably the hope going in. Khabilov/Medeiros is a fight i hope they re-do it was shaping up to be great but that thumb :confused:

Villante/OSP was the other crazy one, it was a terrible fight but that ending was just weird. What was the ref. doing? apparently he followed the rules but ive never seen a fight called in that way. He probably did Villante a favour in hindsight cause he was getting cut if he'd lost the decision, he'll probably get one more shot now.

I can't believe OSP was being tipped as a the next big thing at 205 a year or two back, he looked bad saturday night.

Oh, gotta give props to Siler/Holobaugh too on the facebook, that was quality. Holoubaugh's submission defence/resistance is insane.

What a weird show.

• Moderators
Nothing to say about the actual fights, but did anyone else notice someone seemingly talking into the microphones around the cage. Cant remember what was said, but it sounded like a pissed up fan saying random words. It happened once, and then it happened again later on, so they obviously didnt catch the offender the first time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...p;v=BLvQJ312tPE

• Paid Members

hahaha, i think i noticed something similar during the opening of Jones/Sonnen. Sounded like someone sitting too close to Rogan or Goldberg and the mic was picking up their voices.

• Paid Members
I hope Jones keeps on going and keeps on winning, he is fantastic for the sport. Unless he faces Anderson or Machida, I cannot see myself routing against him for a while, which will make a nice change.

Yeah Jones has really grown on me over the last 6 months or so. Well, since that UFC 151 stuff to be honest. I always loved watching him fight but I did think he seemed a bit of a knob and not very likable. In hindsight I think he may have just been overwhelmed by all the new found fame and pressure that came along with being champ. He seems a lot more relaxed and comfortable with himself now.

It sounds weird to say because we don't know him personally, but I think he's probably being himself more now. He just seems much more comfortable. In the cage, in the media, everything. Before the UFC 151 mess and the DUI he was trying hard, too hard maybe, to give off a perfect, holier than thou image. I think that's what Rashad was getting at when he was calling Jones fake. It seemed like somewhere around UFC 151, when the fans and Dana and everyone were giving him a load of grief he just said 'fuck it'. From then on he's came across much more likeable now to me. Still cocky but less overbearing in my opinion. Walking out to Bob Marley doesn't hurt either.

The toe thing would have been a disaster, is it confirmed that it would have been called a TKO for Sonnen if the round had finished? that would have been insane.

I think it would have had to have been stopped. I don't know what would have happened though. Maybe they could have called it a no-contest. Probably not though, usually when one guy get hurt during the fight the opponent wins by 'TKO via injury'.

Would be a shit way to win the title. Kind of like Belfort's eyepoke title win over Randy. I can just imagine Chael claiming to have 'dominated' Jones and put him on the injured list.

* Im convinced something was wrong with Alan Belcher, he was in his shell most of the fight. For an aggressive striker like him he just seemed like he didn't want to be in there. I don't know if it was a case of Bisping being better than he expected which demoralised him, the nonsence with the ankle wraps or if he was genuinely hurt, he just looked bad.

I haven't seen it reported anywhere but I thought maybe Belcher had injured his right foot or something. It seemed like every time he wanted to kick he switched southpaw and kicked with the left leg. From the orthodox stance he was almost exclusively punching. I think I counted one leg kick with the right leg the whole fight.

Has anyone seen anything said about why his ankle wraps were cut off?

Oh while I'm here;

jim-miller-ufc-159-300x168.png

Abbott-David-CR21-5.jpg

Pat%20Healy%20mata%20leão.jpg

fryechokestank_display_image_display_image.jpg

• Paid Members

OK guys, a few photos of mine from the event..

http://db.tt/EsAroATA

http://db.tt/dGRdY5ev

http://db.tt/A9mF22pf

http://db.tt/7CGgG1F2

http://db.tt/kV9ySTCm

http://db.tt/o89TnqWW

http://db.tt/E1gsRI85

http://db.tt/JdCG3HXy

http://db.tt/bDcBsRw1

I have loads more but these are just a few. Apologies if any are repeated. Just to clarify the first pic is from a view from the arena, not where I was seated.

On a random note, I bizarrely bumped into Roman Abramovich today whilst I was walking the high line in Manhattan. Was nuts!

• Paid Members

haha nice, did you speak to him?

on the subject of Belcher's wraps, he always wears the ankle wraps so i don't think he was carrying a new injury or anything like that. It's strange that he had em removed considering a commision member had alright ok'd them cause they were signed. I'm sure we'll find out why in the next day or so.

• Paid Members
Nice. Looks like you had a great view there. How long are you in New York?

We're in new York till Wednesday, then it's into Chicago. Shit weather today though. Top of the Rock tonight though.

Edit, to Ebb,na didn't speak to him but it was so weird. It was just him and what looked like his mate. Was just so random. A few others clocked on that it was him too.

• Paid Members

Ugh, that's vile.

The look on Jones' face when the pain started setting in was priceless. I mean I felt bad for him, I wouldn't wish a wonky, bone-poking-through-the-skin toe on anyone, but the faces he was pulling during the Rogan interview were classic. That's the only time I've ever seen him show any sign of pain, and he did it to himself!

Dana White quote on a brief in-cage conversation with Chael immediately after the fight;

"When I walked in the Octagon, he said 'You know Dana, I think I won that fight. And I think this is gonna be very controversial.' I said 'You know what Chael? You'll probably get people to believe that."

Archived