I can't find the baking thread

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

So, my girlfriends 25th is upcoming.

She wants a cake similar to this:

l.jpg

Similar in size and shape, the on top decorations are obviously going to be different.

I have never baked a cake before.

How would I go about this?

Thanks.

• Paid Members

A sponge is probably the easiest cake to make and you really have to be a dumbass to get it wrong. You can buy ready-made icing which you just need to roll out and cover the sponge with. That's easy too.

Do you want me to explain exactly how to make it? Classic Victoria Sponge is the best (with jam and buttercream).

If you've never baked before you may be stretching yourself a little here...

You will need a good cake recipe, you need to find out what flavour of cake she wants, does she want a filing etc. A rectangular shaped baking tin, that looks like royal icing so you will need some of that whatever you want to decorate it with.

Pre-heat oven to 180.

Line a decent sized baking tin with a bit margarine and line that with grease proof paper.

Mix 500g margarine with 250g sugar and beat with an electric whisk/mixing machine. And 4 eggs, one at a time, then fold in 500g Self Raising flour, or Plain Flor with 3 teaspoons of Baking Powder. Add a dash of Vanilla Essence and beat until light. If mix is too thick add a splash of milk or a tiny drop of vegetable oil.

Put this mix into lined tin and bake for about 25 mins or until a knife comes out clean from the centre. Let it cool on a wire before attempting to cut it or ice it.

Good luck.

• Paid Members

Thanks deathray and Monkee.

Monkee, yes, a full explanation would be great. And, she does love victoria sponges. That sounds good.

As far as decorations on top, I guess just icing with like "Happy 25th Birthday, Alexandra."

To make it in to a Victoria Sponge following the instructions posted by North Sea Tiger, once the cake has cooled, cut it in half, spread jam of your choosing on one half, then mix up some butter cream icing and spread that on top of the jam, put the other layer back on top and there you go.

You'll get lots of recipes for butter cream, I don't usually use one that I always follow, I tend to mix it to taste as I don't like it massively sweet, but a basic recipe would be 140g of softened butter, 280g of icing sugar, 1 - 2 tablespoons of milk or water, add it all together and mix until its smooth. I usually add about half the icing sugar to start with, taste it and add more as I feel is needed. The icing sugar will fly everywhere when you start mixing it, a good trick is to stick a clean dishcloth over the top and mix with your hand/electric mixer under it, this stops it from going everywhere.

• Paid Members

For a cake that size then you'd probably need 6 eggs...

Cake:

6 eggs

Butter (Stork is best)

Caster sugar

Self-raising flour

(add a little drop of vanilla essence if you want to add a bit of flavour)

Filling:

Jam (whatever flavour you want)

100g butter

140g icing Sugar

Icing:

Get some ready-made fondant icing. Like THIS.

2 rectangular tins

1 large mixing bowl

1 small bowl

Wooden spoon

Fork

Sieve

Pre-heat the oven to 190C/gas mark 5

If you don't have non-stick tins then grease the tins

Weigh the eggs all together (in the shell)

Whatever the eggs weigh that's how much of everything else you'll need.

e.g. if the eggs weigh 200g you'll need

200g butter

200g caster sugar

200g self-raising flour

Cream the butter and caster sugar together in a large bowl with the spoon.

Crack the eggs into another bowl and mix with a fork.

Gradually add the eggs to the large bowl while mixing.

Really beat the mixture to get as much air in as possible.

Sieve the flour into the mixture a little bit at a time and fold in with the spoon.

Don't beat the mixture too much as you'll knock the air out of it.

Add the vanilla essence if you want to (a teaspoon is plenty).

Divide the mixture between the two tins and bake for about 20-25 minutes.

Don't keep opening the door to check or they won't rise properly.

Once the tops have gone golden brown you can stick a knife in the centre.

If it comes away clean then the cakes are cooked. If there's cake on the knife then give them a couple more minutes.

Once cooked take them out of the oven and leave them to cool. Either leave them in the tins to cool or you can tip them onto a wire rack.

Once their properly cooled you can put them together.

If the cakes have risen unevenly then you can cut the tops flatter so that you can put on on top of the other and ice them without having a bulge.

To make the butter cream:

Mix together the butter and the icing sugar in a bowl until creamy.

You can add some more vanilla essence if you want to but don't overpower the cake.

Spread the jam generously over the top of one cake.

Spread the butter cream generously over the top of the jam.

Put the two cakes on top of each other.

Roll out the icing.

Place on top and cut off any excess.

You can also get writing icing which is in a tube ready to use rather than making your own. Go to Tesco or wherever and have a look in the baking section. I'm sure they'll have a few things ready-to-use rather than making stuff yourself.

Good luck!!

• Paid Members
does she want a filing etc.

Well it's the least she could do really, I hope Mr Riot gets at least some action for all his effort.

Seriously, I'm shite at this type of thing. I once tried to make my niece a birthday cake, with disastrous results. I'm usually alright cooking but balls to baking cakes after that. My sister did a Mint Aero cheesecake and a Bailey's cheesecake at Christmas and they were fucking outstanding.

Archived