Favourite Year in Wrestling History

Jason Mayhem

• Paid Members

I know it was a rough period business wise but I absolutely love 1992. The 2 big companies were very different but I look back fondly on that era.

WWF had Hogan, Warrior, Savage, Flair, Undertaker, Sid, LOD, Bret, HBK, Bossman, Piper, Crush, Perfect, Money Inc etc.

The amazing Rumble match, a quality WrestleMania in a massive tent with Savage/Flair/Liz. SummerSlam at Wembley and Bret/Bulldog, Bret/Shawn at Survivors, The Rockers split, Bossman/Nailz.

WCW had Sting, Vader, Steiners, Rude, Windham, Rhodes, Austin, Steamboat, Dr Death & Gordy, Anderson, Simmons, Barbarian, Pillman etc.

The Sting vs Vader feud, War Games, Dangerous Alliance, Simmons' title win, the Windham/Rhodes team being awesome, Steiners killing jobbers, Vader breaking jobbers' backs, Rude being Rude, Jake's debut, Steiners/Dr Death & Gordy twatting each other, Vinnie Vegas and his music, the Anderson/Eaton team, Austin vs Steamboat.

And to top it off the commentating - Monsoon/Heenan in WWF and Schiavone/Ventura in WCW.

Incredible

Being a Massive Owen Hart fan as a kid this was his year.

Great turn on the Hitman at RR.

Excellent Match at WM (My favourite match ever)

Won the King of the Ring

Best cage match I've seen at Summerslam.

Also loved Yokozuna and he started the year strong.

The Taker Vs Taker fued amazed me when I was a kid.

Loved Doink and Dink together.

Jerry Lawler was at his WWF best.

Diesel had started to come into his own.

Backlund became champ again!!!

HBK/Razor Ladder match.

Bulldog returned.

....And the fanally gave up on Lex Luger! :)

This is all retrospect. If I actually watch it back now, i'm sure most of that would hurt me.

• Paid Members

Surprisingly, 2001. WCW went out of business, which was huge a deal although gutted at the time. The likes of Goldberg and Sting disappeared from the screens, but you had an influx of fresh new talent to the then-WWF, as well as bona fide main superstars like The Rock, Steve Austin, Triple H, Undertaker and Kurt Angle all still then full-timers. Brilliant angles and rivalries, such as the Two Man Power Trip versus the Brothers of Destruction; it was a brilliant year talent-wise.

The warm and fuzzy nostalgia of 1992 is overwhelming for me. Plus, there were so many good angles!...

Savage/Flair

Hogan/Sid

Warrior/Shango

Undertaker/Berzerker

Bossman/Nailz

Tatanka/Model

Slaughter/Mountie

Bulldog/Repo

LOD/Beverly Brothers

Money Inc/Nasty Boys

1991 for me. Mainly for the WWF as that was all I really grew up with, so it holds the memories and nostalgia as well as still being enjoyable to watch today. I know that If I followed WCW in say 1992 or 1997, they would be right up there, but unfortunately it's not quite the same when you're watching periods in wrestling for the first time a decade or more after they happened (and when you're not a kid any more). Still, I've gotten tonnes of enjoyment from WCW retrospectively.

So... 1991 for the WWF....

Amazing roster/characters, loads of enjoyable & interesting feuds, 3 amazing PPVs, an extra bonus with Tuesday In Texas, 2 class UK PPV's, and just as importantly, it was my first full year following the Wrestling.

You had Warrior/Savage, Warrior/Taker (sadly unresolved), Hogan/Slaughter, Jake v Martel/Quake, Jakes turn and feud with Savage, the formation of the Natural Disasters, arrival of Flair and Sid along with loads of fun midcarders like the Mountie, Steamboat etc, the Undertaker going from strength to strength, dissention in the ranks of the Rockers, Boss Man continuing to run through the Heenan family then the Mountie feud, Virgil/Piper/Dibiase, Bulldog/Warlord's neverending rivalry, not to mention the Hitman going solo and the story of his rise.

Wrestlemania, Rumble and Summerslam are some of my favourite events ever, with Rockers/Orients and Bret/Perfect being two of my favourite matches ever, and Warrior/Savage not far behind. Jake was perhaps my favourite heel ever, and the Savage feud and stuff with the Cobra was one of my fave angles ever. All the characters were fun, colourful, larger than life, interesting and all had a role and a distinction. So all in all, it's not hard to figure that it'll naturally be my #1 year.

I love 1993 too. The drop in popularity from the masses as they phased out the superhero characters at the top, and the weaker PPV shouldn't take away from the fact that week to week, 1993 was ace.

Not that 1992 wasn't good either obviously, but 1991 and 1993 top it imo, despite 1992 generally being more popular in many folks eyes and having stronger PPVs. 1992 dipped quite severely post-WM8 until they started freshening up the roster around the time of Survivor Series (give or take a few months either way) with Yoko, Bam Bam, Razor, Jannetty, Steiners, Perfect etc coming back in. A bit like 1995, it was skewed too far in favour of good babyfaces with hardly any top heels after Flair, other than novelty acts

I can remember there was some good discussion of this during that thread a year or two back with a different question each day for a month. Some of that was a good read, especially Big Boot's argument for, and summary of 1992.

• Paid Members

It's 1992 for me. 1997 runs it close as both the big 2 were on fire all year with their respective top storylines, but nothing can eclipse the best Royal Rumble match in WWF history and the best War Games match in WCW history happening in the same year.

I know it was a rough period business wise but I absolutely love 1992. The 2 big companies were very different but I look back fondly on that era.

WWF had Hogan, Warrior, Savage, Flair, Undertaker, Sid, LOD, Bret, HBK, Bossman, Piper, Crush, Perfect, Money Inc etc.

The amazing Rumble match, a quality WrestleMania in a massive tent with Savage/Flair/Liz. SummerSlam at Wembley and Bret/Bulldog, Bret/Shawn at Survivors, The Rockers split, Bossman/Nailz.

WCW had Sting, Vader, Steiners, Rude, Windham, Rhodes, Austin, Steamboat, Dr Death & Gordy, Anderson, Simmons, Barbarian, Pillman etc.

The Sting vs Vader feud, War Games, Dangerous Alliance, Simmons' title win, the Windham/Rhodes team being awesome, Steiners killing jobbers, Vader breaking jobbers' backs, Rude being Rude, Jake's debut, Steiners/Dr Death & Gordy twatting each other, Vinnie Vegas and his music, the Anderson/Eaton team, Austin vs Steamboat.

And to top it off the commentating - Monsoon/Heenan in WWF and Schiavone/Ventura in WCW.

Incredible

Seconded - for all these reasons! Plus on top of that the fact that it was so red-hot in this country, every shop stocked tons of merchandise, it was on TV and in the media and was the BEST time to be a fan. Especially if you were 12 years old like me!

I could choose a year from pre 2000 when I actually actively started following wrestling as I have in the last 13 years gone back extensively and there are some obvious choices for me including 88-89, 92, 97 and 00. However hand on heart I have to give it to 2006 as my favourite year.

It certainly did not start out that way with a poor Rumble and lead into Wrestlemania, the WWE felt lacking something. However WM22 remains one if not the best mania for in ring action ever, assisted by a white hot crowed the show had top level matches including the money in the bank, the short but god 3 way for the world title, Edge Vs Foley, Trish Vs Mickie, HBK Vs Mcmahon and the main event of HHH Vs Cena. One highlight for me was the DX chops done by HBK and HHH which was of course a sign of things to come.

This led on to a very enjoyable spring on the RAW side of things with HHH's slow babyface turn, The return of ECW One Night Stand and the Cena Edge feud continuing. It eventually became heated again following ONS and led onto two great matches at Summerslam and Unforgiven. At the same time we had the return of DX and while not the same there humour still had me laughing. The feud with the Mcmahons also produced a great Hell in a cell bout. Survivor series and Armageddon were excellent PPVs again with Undertaker Vs Kennedy being very entertaining from my memory.

I know ECW wasn't what we expected but I still enjoyed it as almost a lower budget WWE which was digestable for an hour. Smackdown wise King Bookah says it all.

Elsewhere in the world of wrestling TNA had a great year with the X and Tag divisions being strong as well as Joe Vs AJ Vs Daniels at the beginning of the year and Joe Vs Angle at the end. Feuds were logical and they held there first outside impact zone PPV in Bound For Glory and entertaining but perhaps lacking in some aspects PPV. Papparazi productions also needs a mention

ROH and CZW provided us with an example of how a promotional feud should be done and ROH presented great cards in the UK as well.

On the UK Scene I had the pleasure of attending some great shows thanks to IPW among other promotions.

Overall a great year for wrestling

2000:

Royal Rumble 2000- Cactus Jack vs Triple H, The Rumble match itself, Taz's debut

The whole "Who ran over Stone Cold" stuff. It was a huge talking point on the playground

Undertaker's return

The Radicalz

No Mercy 2000 and Austin's return

Wrestlemania 2000

Hardcore 24/7

Night after Wrestlemania 2000 - Night after Wrestlemania 17.

Best roster WWE has ever had imo.

So many wrestlers in their prime like Rock & HHH.

Great mid card, especially Benoit & Jericho.

Edge & Christian/Hardyz/Dudleyz. + great tag team scene generally.

Austin & Taker returning.

Kurt Angle.

Hardcore 24/7 division.

Trish & Lita.

So many great PPVS.

Could list loads more easily.

Loved wwf 1990 - 1993 when i was a kid , didnt see much wcw only when it was on itv on saturday lunchtimes from mgm studios. most kids at my school loved Sting even though nobody really use to watch wcw.

I think the peak for me was when my parents got cable tv around late 1996 id stopped watching wrestling around mid 94 so i was abit behind. but friday nights flicking between raw and nitro probaly was the peak for me. if one got dull id flick the other one on and vice versa. when the ads came on raw id flick to nitro. good times.

i became a massive wcw mark and when wwe brought them out it killed a part of my love for wrestling , i still love it now and watch reguarly but i really miss watching raw/nitro and not knowing who was going to show up. who was going to jump ship, remember rude,jericho,the radicals etc etc [ man i nearly shit a brick when benoit and co was at raw] the unpredicatable friday night tv was 100% the top

I still love wrestling now i watch wwe and tna every week but it will never be what it was and i accept that and enjoy the tv shows for what they are.

Archived