Greatest Wrestling Documentary

scott_2k16

• Moderators

The Sick Nick Mondo documentary was surprisingly good, just because he had a whole shitload of footage because he and his mates were always Jackass-ing about with a video camera.

Most Indy docs seem to be terrible / glorified shoots. Which I guess is OK if you like shoot interviews but they bore the shit out of me.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'd probably give the nod to Memphis Heat, too. The thing is filled with many great stories, told by some of the greatest characters ever. Just a shame they couldn't afford Lance Russell. You'll leave the documentary wanting to end every sentence with "daddy". You've been warned, daddy.

That one with Cabana and Daniel Bryan had its moments. Cabana clearly thinks he's more interesting/entertaining than he actually is, as the thing is well too long. With a proper editor it would have been a really well done documentary about life as an indy star. Still decent, if you fancy spending a few hours of your life watching it.

Wrestling With Shadows to me will always be the best - by large and far. The likes of Heroes of World Class and Memphis Heat (more so Heroes) look grungy, poorly made and put together on the cheap. If they were made by a fan in the 80's I could forgive them and look past this, but for the mid 00's it's just bush league. For the stories documented in these - I prefer them in book form.

I first saw Wrestling with Shadows on BBC2 in 2000 or thereabouts and it blew my mind. God knows how many times I've seen it since then, but it's a high quality piece from start to finish, and has remained clean and fresh after all these years.

wrestling with shadows. i remember being at school and everybody was like ' fuck vince really screwed Bret' the school was a buzz. I still watch it now and again now , great tv

the cm punk package was unbelieveable and id go as far as saying its the best thing theve ever done. The new austins ones great too but not quite as good as punks

Besides Beyond The Mat, there was an episode of Louis Theroux's Weird Weekends where he went to the WCW Powerplant which was pretty interesting, haven't seen it in yeas though so don't know how it stands up but at the time it was a great 'outsider' look into the industry.

Beyond the Mat. It can be watched with 'non wrestling fans' as well as jaded fans like me.

Thought it was great when I first watched it all those years ago and recently rewatched it and still thought it was great.

One thing that did intrigue me was Rock and Foley putting their match together and that there were elements to it that was not totally pre planned Fascinating.

An honourable mention also should go to SCSA documentary which was well put together.

Besides Beyond The Mat, there was an episode of Louis Theroux's Weird Weekends where he went to the WCW Powerplant which was pretty interesting, haven't seen it in yeas though so don't know how it stands up but at the time it was a great 'outsider' look into the industry.

It peaks within 60 seconds when Louis doesn't know who Raven is.

Archived