Facebook updates that blow your mind

SpursRiot2012

1 minute ago, Rey_Piste said:

It's a big advertising campaign though, I have heard the advert a lot on the radio. As well as seeing posters all over the place. It wouldn't be that shocking to see it advertised on Facebook.

True, but it's the latest in a "Things we've talked about" that suddenly appear as a suggested post.  I'm paranoid at the best of times but this is making me think Mr Robot is after me.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, PunkStep said:

When did BBC end their daily programming with the national anthem? I never knew that, must've been before my time. What was the point?? What a load of old bollocks.

Both the BBC (BBC One) and most of the ITV regions used to play GSTQ before shutting down for the night prior to broadcasting 24 hours. The last time BBC One would have played it was likely the night before the launch of BBC News 24, that would have been the evening/early morning of 8/9 November 1997 as News 24 was launched on the 9th and from that date it was carried on BBC One overnight rather than turning the transmitters off.

OTOH I don't think BBC Two ever played the national anthem at the end of their broadcast day, certainly not on a regular basis anyway.

There's a few videos floating about on YT of TV station closedowns in the past. HTV in Wales used to play Land of my father's before GSTQ. It's not just a UK thing, RTÉ One used to play The Soldiers Song when they finished for the day (though like BBC Two, RTÉ Two/Network Two didn't), in the USA most stations would play their anthem both at closedown and before commencing their broadcast day. Canadian and (most) Australian stations also played their anthems at closedown etc. so it's not an uncommon practice. I'm not sure if they still do it but I think BBC Radio 4 still play GSTQ just before closedown at about 1am after the last shipping forecast of the day, with the World Service being relayed until 5.30am.

Edit: This was the final "shutdown" on BBC One just after 3am on Sunday 9th November 1997, with GSTQ being played.

Edited by PJ Power
Adding videos

Yeah, I'm old enough to remember that we'd get the national anthem when some channels wrapped up for the day. Not a big deal though, surely? It came to an end when we saw the switch to 24 hour television.

I'm not sure it was something you'd actively stay awake for to be honest, but it wasn't something that struck you as unusual either. It was a British TV channel, playing the British national anthem. 

• Paid Members

There was a story in the papers years back about some old dear whose telly melted because she thought that when the shutdown happened it switched itself off, so she hadn't turned the thing off in years.

I love the idea that these people used to sit up and watch telly until the national anthem was played, like that was permission to stop, and how after BBC News 24 launched they were just grimly staring at their tellies for days on end, waiting for the Queen to tell them it was okay to go to bed.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I just went and had a flick through the first couple of dozen (all of which seemed to have been posted in the past three days) and could feel myself getting stupider. Think I gave up somewhere around the fourth picture of a small child with spaghetti on its head.

Ey, 'member when you were a baby, ey!!!??

Edited by Sergio Mendacious