WrestleMania 2

AshC

wwe-wrestlemania-2.jpg

I'm a little bit fascinated by this show. Not specifically due to anything on it, but the whole idea of broadcasting from the three different cities in three different time zones. A huge undertaking - the thought that they tried it just a year after the very first WrestleMania (a show which apparently would have put the company under had it been a flop) seems pretty crazy. Evidently McMahon was fearless.

Now, I wouldn't say this event is spoken about in hushed tones, but I would argue its significance is played down - especially in comparison to the WrestleManias either side of it. The fact that they never attempted the format again, with three small shows in three locations mashed together to make a global televised supercard, shows that it didn't work as well as they'd have hoped. What I'm curious about, especially given Vince McMahon's relentlessly determined nature, is whether there ever was a time in the years that have passed since WrestleMania 2 that another attempt was considered. Particularly at times of massive roster depth.

With the advances in technology, the idea of running three cards with preliminary bouts for the live crowds and putting the marquee matches on the PPV show must have appealed at some stage. I think the ship has sailed now, with WrestleMania being so much about one city's all-encompassing schedule of events (no better example than this year). But back in 2002 perhaps, with that huge influx of guys, might another shot at a WrestleMania 2-style event have ever been a possibility? Maybe even running from different countries?

• Moderators

Wasn't it pretty much just Vince going "If Starrcade can run in two places, we can run in three!" and using the main media centres of the US in order to get that attention? Thing is, Starrcade just stayed in it's safe places. It really didn't work for me. It doesn't help that there was only about 2 or 3 decent bouts on the card as well.

The things i recall from Mania 2 were 2 underrated matches imo, i thought the Hogan/Bundy cage match was fucking great for some reason, Bundy scared me half to death when i was young!!!

Also the tag match, Beefcake/Valentine vs The Bulldogs, i'm going from memory but i remember really liking the match but it having an odd out of nowhere finish?? Ozzy Osbourne :laugh:

Pretty much a Mania to forget.

The things i recall from Mania 2 were 2 underrated matches imo, i thought the Hogan/Bundy cage match was fucking great for some reason, Bundy scared me half to death when i was young!!!

Also the tag match, Beefcake/Valentine vs The Bulldogs, i'm going from memory but i remember really liking the match but it having an odd out of nowhere finish?? Ozzy Osbourne :laugh:

I dunno, I'd agree on the cage match, but I think the tag was generally considered a highlight of the show - I guess it depends where you read/hear most opinions from

I'd say a more apt match to put in the underrated category is the Funks v Tito/JYD match which was a lot of fun but you don;t hear it mentioned much.

As you say though, still a real shit show. They didn't half make up for it the following year though!

I dunno, I'd agree on the cage match, but I think the tag was generally considered a highlight of the show - I guess it depends where you read/hear most opinions from

I'd say a more apt match to put in the underrated category is the Funks v Tito/JYD match which was a lot of fun but you don;t hear it mentioned much.

As you say though, still a real shit show. They didn't half make up for it the following year though!

Yes, you must be correct about being underrated as i totally forgot about that tag match!!! That was actually very good.

I always thought that when Shane was causing rumours about international territories a few years back turning Wrestlemania into a full day event would've been fucking awesome (and very expensive but thats Vince's problem). It'd start with a card from WWE Japan, moving in to one from WWE/UK Europe followed by WWE Mexico and ending with the traditional mania.

Obviously the appeal would be less for the casual fans following their home territory only and if the price had to go up to cover the cost they probably wouldn't pay for something they only give a crap about 1/4 of, but it'd make it seem so much bigger and add to that special feel, especially if a one off saved for a landmark show such as Wrestlemania 25 or 30.

I love that Bundy match, it was fantastic. Bundy seems to have had a weirdly unimpressive career considering what a scary bastard he was.

Archived