Reminisce-a-Mania

ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members

It's 3 weeks until the granddaddy today, the big dance, WrestleMania and we've barely got any WrestleMania threads on the board and we usually have about 50 by now. HarmonicGenerator reminded me in the comments thread of the WrestleMania magazines that WWE bring out at this time of year and reminded me of how much I enjoyed reading one prior to WrestleMania X7 and putting me right in the mood for the show. Although, in saying that I'm not sure I've got one since...I didn't actually think there had been any since. Generally this place does the job of getting me hyped enough for it, but there's a distinct lack of threads here this year it seems - so I thought I'd start one. With a bunch of questions to get you reminiscing about the biggest night on the WWE calendar and hopefully get some discussion rolling. So explanations for each would be lovely. Not that I expect you to answer them all or anything just putting some thoughts into your head to get you thinking, answer whichever ones you like:

What are your favourite 5 WrestleManias and why? (In order bitches)

What are your favourite 5 WrestleMania matches and why? (In order bellends)

What is your favourite WrestleMania main event?

What is your favourite WrestleMania WWE title match?

What is your favourite WrestleMania World title match?

What is your favourite WrestleMania Intercontinental Title match?

What is your favourite WrestleMania Tag Team Title match?

What is your favourite WrestleMania Opening match?

What is your favourite WrestleMania Ladder match?

What is the most under-rated WrestleMania match?

Which WrestleMania had the sexiest set?

What's your favourite WrestleMania opening intro video?

What was the first WrestleMania you ever saw and what are your memories of that experience?

What are your favourite heel/face turns at WrestleMania? (Besides Bret/Austin because that's obviously the best thing ever)

What was your favourite overall build to a WrestleMania?

What's your favourite WrestleMania moment?

Which WrestleMania was the most disappointing?

What should have happened/you wish happened at WrestleMania but never came to fruition? E.g- Angle vs Taker at WM22, Jeff Hardy winning MITB at WMXXIV, Flair vs Hogan at WMVIII, etc.

What was your favourite 'arrival'/star making moment at WrestleMania?

What do you hope to see happen at this years WrestleMania?

What are your favourite 5 WrestleManias and why?

17- great card from top to bottom and the first proper 4 hr mania

7- first mania i remember watching as a kid

22- not the biggest card name wise match for match but such an enjoyable show

28- big time feel, big match ups

24- wasnt excited for it leading up but delivered big time

What are your favourite 5 WrestleMania matches and why?

Steve Austin vs Rock-Mania 17- fave match ever

Steve Austin vs Bret Hart- Mania 13- never see a double switch like it again

TLC 2- Mania 17- stunt fest

Randy Savage vs Warrior- Mania 7- emotional

Batista vs Undertaker- Mania 23- no one ever expected it to be at all good

Steve Austin vs Rock- Mania 17

Steve Austin vs Rock-Mania 17

Batista vs Undertaker- Mania 23

Razor Ramon vs Shawn Michaels - Mania 10

TLC 2- Mania 17

Bret Hart vs Owen Hart- Mania 10

TLC 2

MITB at Mania 24

Mania 24

Mania 20- Where it all Begins Again

What was the first WrestleMania you ever saw and what are your memories of that experience?

Mania 7 watched in my nans on the old analogue Cable, remember fumin when the Harts got Screwed by the Nastys

What are your favourite heel/face turns at WrestleMania? (Besides Bret/Austin because that's obviously the best thing ever)

Austin Heel Turn Shakin Hands with the Devil

HHH/Batista Mania 21 is so so so good its untrue

Austin McMahon Handshake/ Austin in the sharpshooter busted wide open

27 so poor felt rushed

What should have happened/you wish happened at WrestleMania but never came to fruition? E.g- Angle vs Taker at WM22, Jeff Hardy winning MITB at WMXXIV, Flair vs Hogan at WMVIII, etc.

Edge spearing Foley through the flaming table

every match get enough time ,no rushing, no filler even if the match is short dont present it as such, if that makes sense ha

1. Wrestlemania X7- Amazing card top to bottom and I love the main event.

2. Wrestlemania XIX- Great show and Brock's first Mania.

3. Wrestlemania 25- Purely for the Main Event just a great show.

4. Wrestlemania 28- Loved the Hell in the Cell and some great undercard matches

5. Wrestlemania 15- The first one I ever watched and I still love it to this day.

1. Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels Wrestlemania 25- Just an amazing match, so many nearfalls and it actually seemed like the streak could end.

2. The Rock vs Stone Cold Steve Austin- Wrestlemania X7- Loved the heel turn at the end.

3. Brock Lesnar vs Kurt Angle- Seeing Lesnar attempt the SSP was amazing....Great match

4. Undertaker vs Triple H- Wrestlemania 28- Although the outcome never really seemed in doubt it was still a great match.

5. Triangle Ladder match- Wrestlemania 2000- As a kid this match blew me away...just awesome.

Undertaker vs Michaels as mentioned above.

Rock vs Austin as mentioned above.

Sheamus vs Daniel Bryan- Wrestlemania 28- Purely for the IWC Reaction.

RVD Vs William Regal- Wrestlemania XVIII- Huge fan of RVD back in the day so really liked this match.

Triangle Ladder Match as mentioned above

Finlay vs JBL- Wrestlemania 24- Brutal brawl and I love the spot where JBL takes out Hornswoggle with the trash can.

Triangle Ladder Match AGAIN!

Cody Rhodes vs Rey Mysterio- Wrestlemania 27- Just a great match in my opinion.

I guess the Pillow Fight at Wrestlemania 19.

Wrestlemania 17.

Wrestlemania 15- A great show, Lots of turns and I love the main event.

Stone Cold at Wrestlemania 17. Unexpected and brilliant.

Randy Orton vs Triple H at Wrestlemania 25- Although the match was shit the building up of Orton was great.

Brock Lesnar attempting the Shooting Star Press at Wrestlemania XIX.

Wrestlemania XX- Both Lesnar and Goldberg and Kane and Taker both were huge let downs.

Brock Lesnar should have beaten Goldberg and not attempted that doomed NFL idea.

The Miz's promo video at Wrestlemania 27.

Undertaker beats Punk, Cena beats Rock, Lesnar beats Triple H.

1. Wrestlemania 23

The title matches were amazing, Batista vs. Undertaker was the best match Taker had at Wrestlemania until HBK came along, and probably the best match Batista ever had as well. HBK made me a believer as a challenger to Cena, who was able to bring his wrestling game up accordingly. The MITB match was crazy and loaded with star power here- Hardys, Rated RKO, King Booker, Kennedy, Punk and I believe Finlay? The US title match was a forgotten gem as well, the best MVP has ever looked.

2. Wrestlemania 21

I watched this back the other night. 2005 had a fucking loaded roster at this time. Eddie vs. Rey was a blistering opener, it had the first MITB which I still think holds up to any of the others. Unfortunately WWE can't use this match much as it heavily features Benoit. Undertaker/Orton was a near perfect 12 minute match, the chokeslam reversal into a RKO had me believing the Streak was over. Angle and HBK stole the show with an incredible display, Trish Stratus and Christy Hemme, umm, looked really hot. Good use of legends on this Wrestlemania with new HOF inductee Hulk Hogan beating up the evil Muhammed Hassan and Daivari, while Austin and Piper had a highly entertaining verbal exchange on Piper's Pit. Also, the Wrestlemania Goes Hollywood video parodies were excellent. The only thing that stops this from being my favourite Wrestlemania was the title matches, the crowning moments for Batista and Cena, which is all well and good, but the quality of the matches wasn't up to standard. And let's not mention Big Show in a sumo thong.

3. Wrestlemania X7

I know this is widely regarded as the best Wrestlemania, but I wasn't watching regularly at this time. I don't know what it's like in the UK, but here you have to pay shitloads for subscription TV, and we were pretty poor when I was 11. I watched it years later on VHS, and though I thought it was excellent, I probably would have appreciated it more watching it as it happened, knowing all the backstory. Angle/Benoit, Vince/Shane, Triple H/Taker and Rock/Austin were all vastly different matches that were each the best examples of that wrestling style. TLC II was a crazy stunt show and a fitting end to the Hardyz/Dudleyz/E&C rivalry. Holy mid-air spear, Batman. I found the midcard to be a bit lacking though, with Jericho/Regal being underwhelming for its potential. Guerrero/Test was more the quality of a Test match than a Eddie match. The gimmick battle royal did nothing at all for me, I didn't even know what pro-wrestling was when those guys were around, so no warm fuzzy nostalgic feelings there.

4. Wrestlemania XIX

Early 2003 was another ridiculously loaded time for the roster. The opener was a cool Mysterio showcase, fast paced tag title match, the HBK/Jericho classic (the first one), then the main events of Hogan/McMahon, Austin/Rock and Lesnar/Angle were superb. I will say that I wish Austin/Rock was more of an all time classic ultimately being Stone Cold's retirement match. Crazy to think it's been 10 years since he retired from wrestling.

5. Wrestlemania 25

Ignoring Kid Rock and the HHH/Orton match, great Mania. The MITB staple delivered, Steamboat turned back the clock against Jericho- despite not really knowing him, seeing a 50 something year old man pull off a corkscrew plancha was a true "holy shit" moment, and then one of my favourite matches ever with HBK/Undertaker. I was watching full time at this point, everything about the build up captivated me, and the entrances of light/dark really tied a bow on it, as did the finish of HBK coming from the heavens only to be planted in the ground.

HBK vs Undertaker- Wrestlemania 25- Reasons above

HBK vs. Ric Flair- Wrestlemania 24- Amazing performance on both sides. Flair wrestled like he genuinely believed this was his last stand (ha!) and Michaels went way out of his way to make him look like a million dollars. He broke his ribs and wrestled for about another 15 minutes, what a man.

HBK vs. Chris Jericho- Wrestlemania XIX- Two of my favourite wrestlers tearing the house down. Stealing the show is one thing, but to steal that particular show takes something that transcends a "great match".

The Rock vs. John Cena- Wrestlemania 28- Not because it was an incredible match, the best superlative I can give it is that it was "very good", but the fucking Rock was back in a Wrestlemania match after 8 years, and he beat that Fruity Pebble. There's my nostalgia!

Undertaker vs. Ric Flair- Wrestlemania X8- Just a fun brawl really, but pretty dramatic all the same. Taker was an evil bastard at the time, and Flair was finding his mojo. I enjoyed this more than Hogan/Rock. To me, Flair was just an old man, but he was sympathetic, unlike Hogan who was clearly old and saggy but seemed to think he was Superman [/12 year old analysis]. I loved how Flair's mate Arn Anderson jumped in to add some flavour too.

Gotta go with HHH vs. HBK vs. Benoit. Still an incredible match. I've learnt to separate Benoit from his final days when watching him, so I can get caught up in the underdog story. Plus, Triple H held RVD and Booker down, which is far worse than a double murder-suicide.

Brock Lesnar vs. Kurt Angle- Wrestlemania XIX. Botched SSP and all, that was two tremendous athletic phenoms who just "got" pro wrestling.

Chris Benoit vs. Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels- Wrestlemania XX

Thank God I saw Steamboat vs. Savage a while back, otherwise my answer would be RVD vs. William Regal. :/

TLC II- Wrestlemania X7

Money In The Bank- Wrestlemania 23

Money In The Bank- Wrestlemania 21

I'd say Undertaker vs. Ric Flair. No one ever mentions it because of Hogan/Rock- actually, no one mentions anything from Wrestlemania X8 apart from that. Shame, because it was actually a pretty good show, it just got overshadowed by the Icon vs. Icon match

Wrestlemania 27 was gorgeous.

wrestlemania_1.jpg

Wrestlemania XIX- Goosebumps!

Wrestlemania X8. I remember it being pretty fun. I loved RVD at the time, so seeing him kick off the show with a really high Five Star was the perfect way to kick things off. The Hardcore title shenanigans were crazy, lots of cool little skits to keep the show rolling. There's the aforementioned Taker/Flair. I was a bit disappointed in the tag title match (I had seen the ladder/TLC matches on compilation VHS/DVDs), but Stacy's arse made up for that. Wasn't crazy about Hogan/Rock, seemed very slow and plodding, but I had greater appreciation for it a few years later.

"I'm sorry, I love you."

Wrestlemania XX, because most of it didn't deliver and what did deliver has been erased from history.

Still waiting on Austin vs. Punk. Would have been good at Wrestlemania 27 instead of having the Rock as the host, that was pretty pointless in all honesty.

Tie between Edge's spear on Jeff Hardy and Edge's spear on Mick Foley. Edge is awesome.

I want Cena to lose, just for a fresh story direction. Rock beats him, then post-match Cena snaps at the crowd who are chanting "Cena sucks", turns mega heel by beating the shit out of The Rock. Cena having this redemption story is so bullshit. He beat Lesnar, he beat Show, he won MITB, he's still a featured star getting the big bucks. He can't draw sympathy for this, he's never really been down and out. Cena should have grown a hobo beard and shown up to Raw in a black business shirt and long jeans, just something different. Even Hogan turned after 10 years.

My answer's the same for both of these. Edge vs Undertaker, WrestleMania 24. It was headlining a great show and I don't know if anyone had huge expectations for it. Undertaker had had that cracker with Batista the year before, but hadn't yet built up that reputation of having an instant classic every year. And a lot of people rate the Edge-Undertaker feud, but I wasn't a fan of it. Edge was my favourite, but it felt like a generic babyface vs heel faction feud with added Undertaker magic powers (which I didn't like). And yet, on the night, it really came alive. Edge had counters for all of Undertaker's moves and had those moments where, even if I didn't quite believe he was going to win, I was still really caught up in it. It was exciting as hell, and I was so enthralled watching it.

Sheamus vs Daniel Bryan from last year. It was just superb. The sort of thing that makes staying up to watch it worth it. Absolutely perfect trolling, and it made Bryan an even bigger star. It turned someone in the chatroom loopy as well, and had them spending the next two or three hours just giving constant updates about how much time was left on the show.

I watched at least some of WrestleMania VII on video at my mate Paul's house before we got cable, but I don't have any firm recollections of it. I don't know if that's just because I didn't know any of the characters so it didn't grab me or if it's just one of those childhood memories that doesn't stick. By SummerSlam '91, we had cable and I was a huge fan. Had the cards, a few of the magazines, might have started getting the figures by then. I was gobsmacked by the antics of Jake The Snake at the wedding reception. Cried when Undertaker beat Hogan at Survivor Series. Rooted like fuck for Bulldog and Piper at the Rumble. Was completely gripped by the Macho Man/Flair/Elizabeth "love triangle."

So I count WrestleMania VIII as my real first one. Was it the first one that was broadcast live here? The three PPVs I'd watched before were on a several-day delay, but I stayed up late to watch WrestleMania. The first thing that struck me was how different the arena looked. This was a fucking stadium! I still remember watching El Matador's walk to the ring and thinking how far it seemed. I was so pissed off when Michaels won and shooed Tito out of the ring. I hated him in 1992. Everything about the show just seemed so big-time. I fell asleep at some point after the WWF title match, and the next day adamantly refused to believe that Warrior had returned in the main event. Despite being shown up when it turned out Warrior had come back, I still did the same thing the next year when I woke up in the morning and my nephew told me Hulk Hogan had won the belt off Yokozuna. My nephew was a sneaky little gobshite though.

I'll go with WrestleMania 26 for both of these. WWE was absolutely on fire for me from that January 4th, 2010 episode -- and really, for a couple of months before that, when Cena vs Orton finally ended and Kofi and Sheamus got the big push. Those last few months of Shawn Michaels' career provided some of the best storytelling and emotion you'll ever see in wrestling. So much on that card had a really great build. And then on the night, it just never lived up to it. Undertaker vs Michaels II wasn't as good as the first one to me, and Vince vs Bret was the worst. I can't pick any great fault with the rest of the card but the build had been so good that I had overly high expectations... And the show didn't live up to them.

• Paid Members

Yeah the WrestleMania VIII set (well, venue) was brilliant. As great as the tarted up, elaborate sets like WrestleMania 27's look, I've always loved the old school simple look. WrestleMania VIII had that yet still felt big-time so that gets my vote for sexiest set. I did really like WrestleMania X-7's as well though.

Most underrated match I'd say either the Ahmed/LOD vs Nation 'Chicago Street Fight' from WrestleMania 13 or Triple H vs Owen Hart from the following year. Really enjoyable yet completely different matches that served their purpose for their storylines at the time yet don't really get brought up much.

I'll have a think about some of the other questions. Surprised no-one's had either Bret vs Owen or the HBK vs Razor Ladder Match from WrestleMania X in their Top 5 yet.

5. Wrestlemania 7 - All the larger than life characters, some good matches in there (Rockers vs. Haku/Barbarian, Bulldog vs. Warlord) a great match (Savage/Warrior) and storylines all over the place all intricately set (Bossman/Perfect, Warlord/Bulldog, Virgil/Dibiase, Hogan/Slaughter) debut of the Undertaker, some Wrestlemania squashes. It's just got it all at a timein my life when wrestling was just fun to watch.

4. Wrestlemania 26 - An under rated Wrestlemania I think. But actually it's a very strong show. The first 5 matches are all solid and entertaining. Hart/McMahon and Jericho/Edge kinda under deliver but then after the piss break divas match the show ends on 2 brilliant contests.

3. Wrestlemania 22 - A real variety of matches, some duds in there but the crowd were hot all night. Edge vs. Foley, Triple Threat, HBK vs. McMahon, HHH vs. Cena and some decent midcard matches make for a fun show.

2. Wrestlemania 24 - mainly due to the fact I was there but in all actuality I think it had the strongest variety of matches and stories told since Wrestlemania 17. HBK/Flair, Finlay/JBL, Show/Mayweather all better than expected plus a bit of a forgotten classic in Undertaker vs Edge and an under rated Triple Threat makes for a good wrestlemania.

1. Wrestlemania 17 - I'm sure others will give more in depth reasons but for me it was probably as close to 10/10 a wrestling show will ever get. The set, the intro, the crowd, the matches, the main event, the era. Just everything fell into place that night.

5. HHH vs. Undertaker - Street Fight - Wrestlemania 27 - I loved this match. I know a lot of people don't but it just hit all the right spots for me. It gets in my top 5 purely for the fact I genuinely thought the streak was going to end at the moment HHH tombstoned Undertaker, and for that alone makes it one of my favourites as not often do I genuinely 'mark out' like I did that night.

4. Stonecold Steve Austin vs. The Rock - Wrestlemania 17 - Amazing match to end the best show probably ever IMO. Has everything and some decent Psychology to boot.

3. John Cena vs. HHH - Wrestlemania 22 - Maybe a strange choice for some but I think the story of the match is fantastic. HHH cockily saying he'll beat Cena, Cena as the underdog with the crowd on his back, people's belief HHH won't lose 3 Wrestlemania main events in a row and he taps to the STFU. Brilliant psychology, story, crowd were something else! Can't rate the match highly enough. They didn't need flippy manouvres or the likes, people rant about Cena's 5 moves of doom and Bret Hart says HHH never had a great match?!?! Go and watch this one to see how to but on a wrestling classic!

2. Ultimate Warrior vs. Randy Savage - Wrestlemania 7 - Amazing match, Savage really was the MVP of the early Wrestlemania's. Again a great story, the need for both men to win they lay it all on the line. Warrior walking to the ring. The aftermath. Just amazing!

1. Batista vs. Undertaker - World Heavyweight Championship - Wrestlemania 23 - I can be a strange wrestling fan sometimes, some matches where as most people know it's a good match, they wouldn't rate it as their favourite. I have matches I love others find indifference to. I'm sure this is one of them but I never get bored of this contest. It's hard hitting, the take the viewer on a great ride and the action doesn't stop for 15 minutes. Big time feel at a big time show. Just an enjoyable contest I can't find too many faults in.

John Cena vs. HHH - Wrestlemania 22

John Cena vs. HHH - Wrestlemania 22

Batista vs. Undertaker - Wrestlemania 23

Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat - Wrestlemania 3

Wrestlemania 16 - Triple Threat Ladder Match - Hardy Boys vs. Dudley Boys vs. Edge and Christian

Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart - Wrestlemania 10

Wrestlemania 16 - Triple Threat Ladder Match - Hardy Boys vs. Dudley Boys vs. Edge and Christian

This is a tough call between 2 matches already mentioned, Triple Threat Ladder Match from 16 and Undertaker vs. Edge from 24.

Wrestlemania 24.

Wrestlemania 17 - I love that one. WWE does videos packages like no other and Freddie Blassie had one of those voices just made for voiceovers. I love the fact they sum up Wrestlemania as a celebration, it's just so well done I think.

Wrestlemania 6 - My bro brought a recorded VHS off Sky Movies Plus and it was about a year and a half after the event, it's actually the first Wrestling show I'd ever seen full stop. I must've been 6 at the time. Amazing memory of me and one of my brothers supporting Hogan in the Main Event and my other 2 supporting Warrior. Ultimately (haha) their guy won!

I actually enjoyed Trish's turn at Wrestlemania 20. It was blatantly obvious it was gonna happen but was done really well I thought.

I really had to think about this one. I'm going with Wrestlemania 23. Just thought all the big matches were given adequate time to tell a story, the show wasn't over saturated with storylines and it all just flowed quite smoothly and logically.

Edge's spear on Mick Foley through the flaming table.

Wrestlemania 18 - WWE had a wealth of talent at the time but the build and the matches booked were nonsensical, put together at the last moment and on the night just didn't really come together that well. 11 matches on the card and IMO only 3 were of any real quality. Regal/RVD, Flair/Undertaker and Hogan/Rock. The rest just fell flat.

I would have liked to have seen Lex Luger vs Bret Hart Main Event Wrestlemania 10.

I think John Cena's first WWE title win. It started a steamroller of great moments due to the whole 'lets go Cena/Cena sucks' crowd divide and it wouldn't have happened had he not been booked to win that night initially.

The streak continues, Cena wins and fanboys everywhere melt down. Really what I'd like to see is a wrestling heavy show with guys like Bryan, Ziggler and Barrett getting a chance to shine.

I would have to say my outstanding Mania memory is Hogan vs Warrior, at the time i'd never seen anything like it, i was about 7 years old, and only ever knew Hogan to be up against "evil", so it was made easy who i wanted to win, then the Warrior came along, who i really liked also, so when they went head to head it was surreal, like 2 superheroes colliding.

I genuinely didn't know who i wanted to win, and watching it back now the match still stands up as a great rollercoaster main event.

• Paid Members

Wrestlemania 20 gets my vote for this. WWE was really well organised and had several matches planned months in advance. Survivior Series 4 months earlier started the hype for John Cena vs Big Show, Brock Lesnar vs Goldberg, Benoit chasing for a championship and Undertaker vs Kane (and the rebirth of The Undertaker). Considering the groundwork had already been laid for Orton vs Foley (which admittedly was delayed by The Rock) and that WWE paced each storyline beautifully, I was more hyped for more matches than at any other Wrestlemanis (except 24, but that's because I was there).

Re-reading that, i've probably answered what I think the best build was, rather than my favourite.

1. Wrestlemania X-seven (I know, but seriously it was ridiculously good)

2. Wrestlemania 10

3. Wrestlemania 14

4. Wrestlemania XIX

5. Wrestlemania 21

1. Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin (13)

2. Ric Flair vs. Shawn Michaels (24)

3. Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels (Wrestlemania 26)

4. TLC 2 (17)

5. Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat (3)

Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels (26)

The Rock vs. Steve Austin (17)

Undertaker vs. Batista (23)

Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat (3)

TLC 2 (17)

Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart (10)

TLC 2 (17)

Dumpster Match: New Age Outlaws vs. Cactus Jack and Chainsaw Charlie

Wrestlemania 21

Wrestlemania 17

Wrestlemania 12. My main memory is of Goldust in lingerie sadly :( But I also remember highlights of the iron man match and seeing Ultimate Warrior running around like a madman.

Randy Savage at Wrestlemania 7. Brilliant

Probably Wrestlemania 14, most matches were set up in January and December in cool and inventive ways.

Edge spearing Jeff Hardy out of the sky. Freaking epic.

Wrestlemania 25, after Michaels/Taker 1 everything just sucked.

Daniel Bryan retaining his world title at Wrestlemania 28.

Shawn Michaels jumping off the ladder.

William Regal rapping or dancing

• Paid Members

What are your favourite 5 WrestleManias and why? (In order, bitch)

5) WM3 - Because it's the first one I remember and it's still in my mind the most prestigious looking Mania to date.

4) WM14 - Hit at the right time and I just remember feeling justified for standing by wrestling when it wasn't cool.

3) WM22 - The crowd alone made it one of the more enjoyable Mania's. Plus, I enjoyed every match, which never hurts

2) WM15 - The WWE's peak for me, personally. I was so emotionally involved in that main event.

WM19 - Jericho/Michaels and Victoria's cheeks slipping out. Quality.

What are your favourite 5 WrestleMania matches and why? (In order, bellend)

5) Diesel vs Undertaker - WM 12. I loved Diesel at this point, and even though he was beaten, he looked great doing it. Just seeing him strutting into the ring with the blues music pounding and saying 'I'm the shit, I told ya!' gave me my first man crush.

4) Steamboat vs Savage - WM3 Purely because it was the first wrestling match I remember actually watching as a kid and having my mind blown. I remember WM3 was shown on Channel 4, and that match was the talk of the school yard. Nobody talked about Hogan slamming Andre, but rather, how Steamboat got his revenge for the ring bell incident.

3) Mickie James vs Trish Stratus - WM22. I absolutely love this match, purely because of Mickie James' performance. Her wobbling cheeks were also magnificent, but by gum, she told a tale in that match and although there were plenty of fuck ups, I absolutely fell in love with the Mickie James character after this. When Mickie James was on the top rope, and Trish went for her head scissors thing, only for it to be countered, that laugh James let loose following that spot is one of my all time fave Mania moments.

2) HBK vs Taker - WM26. From the goosebump inducing Placebo scored promo video leading up to this, to the emotion involved, it's one of the only matches where I actually forgot wrestling is not real.

1) Money in the Bank WM21 - Just because in general it's my favourite WWE 'special' match at the moment, and this was the beginning of it all. Absolutely loved it.

Taker/HBK WM26

Austin/Rock WM15.

Batista/Taker WM23

Savage/Steamboat WM3

TLC2

Jericho/Regal - WM17

TLC2

Tom Zenk & Rick Martel vs Bob Orton & Don Muraco

WM28

WM19

WM3 - Thinking Savage is an amazing specimen. But the first thing, for some bizarre reason, that pops into my head when I think WM3 is Billy Jack Haynes.

Jericho's wee swerve at the end of their WM19 encounter

WM4 funnily enough, purely coz wrestling was so 'new' to me then

Mickie James laughing following her thwarting of Stratus' head scissor from the top rope attempt. Also Mickie James bumcheeks that night.

WM9

HBK and Angle living up to the hype.

Michaels' jumping from the ladder at WM10.

The Shield to grow.

• Paid Members

Wrestlemania 10 - at MSG, the ladder match and opening match, many at the top of their game at this point, oh and Burt Reynolds!

Wrestlemania 21 - loved the Hollywood moments in the run up, first MITB ladder match and remember going completely delirious when Batista won.

Wrestlemania 9 - was the first one I watched fully, and it was so crap its hilarious.

Wrestlemania 17 - all smashing matches

Wrestlemania 25 - loved this Taker/HBK match and Ricky Steamboat still had it, only downside was HHH/Orton

1. Iron Man Match Hart v HBK. Beautifully put together, excitement and drama at the end and a deserved win for HBK

2. Undertaker v HBK Wrestlemania - lost myself watching this, made me love wrestling again, amazing.

3. Owen Hart v Bret Hart, Wrestlemania 10

4. Edge v Mick Foley Wrestlemania 22 - great bout with these two, I miss the hardcore matches!

5. Rockers v Orient Express - Wrestlemania 6. The tassles, the mullets, the moves!

Triple threat match between HHH/Benoit/HBK - I was a huge Benoit fan at the time and didn't believe he'd do it and teary moment with Eddie at the end

Punk v Jericho last year, loved it.

Triple threat match again HHH/Benoit/HBK

Ricky Steamboat v Macho Man - Wrestlemania 3

TLC match at Wrestlemania 17

Bret v Owen Hart at Wrestlemania 10.

Razor Ramon v HBK Wrestlemania 10 - at the time it was just extraordinary

HBK vs. Flair WrestleMania 24 - just heart wrenching.

Wrestlemania 24, a fantastic backdrop

Wrestlemania 25

Wrestlemania 9, I thought it was all very daft but I was such a huge Hart mark I was outraged at Hogan. Have been ever since actually!

HHH at Wrestlemania 15

Owen v Bret prior to Wrestlemania 10, so simple yet so effective

Bret hoisted up at the end of Wrestlemania 10

Wrestlemania 9

What should have happened/you wish happened at WrestleMania but never came to fruition?

Orton beating HHH in a match when he was on such a good run. I wish we got more of a match from Sheamus/Bryan.

Hard to think of one in particular so will say that song by Fun played during a promo.

That godforsaken streak to end.

1 - 17, Amazing card from top to bottom & my fav ppv of all time.

2 - 19, Felt like an end of a era ppv with some very well built matches.

Especially HBK vs Jericho & Rock vs Austin.

3 - 21, 4 excellent matches & 1 good one make this a great WM card + it helps that there were several first time meetings.

4 - 24, Great card & the last real great WM ppv imo.

5 - 22, 3 enjoyable matches (including my fav women's match of all time) & 2 goods ones plus a awesome crowd make this a must see WM event.

1 - Angle vs HBK @ WM 21, The match i was looking forward to the most in the buildup since i started watching wrestling & it didn't disappoint.

2 of my top 3 fav wrestlers of all time meeting for the 1st time too.

2 - Rock vs Austin @ WM 17, Amazing buildup for this one, probs my fav buildup to any match (especially the pre match video package).

Awesome match too, easily the best of the 3 WM matches they had as both were in top form.

3 - Taker vs HBK @ WM 25, Unbelievable chemistry with these 2, u just knew the match would be great & it was.

4 - Taker vs Orton @ WM 21, Everything clicked in this match & it was better than i thought it was going to be before it too.

Should have been given more time.

5 - TLC 2 @ WM 17, 3 teams who just clicked with each other & this match was their highlight.

Best TLC match of all time imo.

Rock vs Austin at @ WM 17

Rock vs Austin at @ WM 17

Taker vs Edge @ WM 24

Jericho vs Regal @ WM 17 (struggled to answer this one which is surprising, though the IC title isn't defended as much at WM now as it should be).

Edge & Christian vs Hardyz vs Dudleyz TLC 2 @ WM 17

Eddie Guerrero vs Rey Mysterio @ WM 21

MITB @WM 21

Taker vs Batista @ WM 23

WM 17

WM 17

WM 12, Don't remember much about it tbh outside of the main event.

Warrior returning seemed weird to me at the time lol & seemed a weird WM overall with only 6 matches (& 1 of those didn't even last 2 minutes).

Vince @ WM 2000, not at the time cos i was a huge rock fan but looking back now it was the right move.

Rock vs Austin @ WM 17

Angle making HBK tap out @ WM 21

WM 20 for me, very overrated.

Angle/Eddie of course was great + Y2J/Christian & was good to see Rock return.

However i've always felt the main event is not as good as people make out, not a bad match at all but felt it should just have been HHH vs Benoit & the rest of the matches nothing of note happened.

WM 2000 as well deserves a mention considering the roster at the time.

Angle vs Taker @ WM 22 for sure, OMFG i was pissed when that match didn't happen.

Edge spearing Foley @ WM 22

Ziggler to cash in & win the WWE Title (NOT the World Title).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

1- WrestleMania 21 - I loved this 'Mania, for several reasons. One thing that often makes a WrestleMania stand out to me or make it particularly special is when it's events significantly impact the company and its direction, it ushers in a new age or creates, cements. establishes bona-fide stars. And this 'Mania did plenty of that. I loved WWE toward the end of 2004 and early 2005 as it was, I feel it's a particularly under-rated period. Raw had some awesome talent and had their balance of stars just right, with the feeling a number in the mid-upper mid card region could break-through at any moment. And you had this feeling knowing that someone would. And Edge, Batista and Cena all officially arrived at this show. The build was just tremendous, the slow building over several PPVs, episodic nature of the Triple H - Batista story was just a joy to watch and handled so well and truly created a new main event star. Orton, the previous failed new top babyface experiment found new purpose turning back to his natural heel state and challenging The Undertakers streak, which in my opinion is the first instance and match that began to put the streak up on another level. I thought that match really delivered, made challenging the streak felt like a massive deal and at the time I really felt Orton may take the match and it helped recover a lot of the damage that had been done to him. The Cena build was actually quite fun too, although the two title matches were a bit of a let down the hype that accompanied them was great and the following impact of Cena and Batista being established was a big deal. It also marked the birth of a brand new concept and the most popular new concept of the modern era and one that significantly changed booking strategies in Money in the Bank. And the Money in the Bank here was tremendous, the best there's been at WrestleMania. The seeds were planted for Eddies heel turn and the build to their match was enjoyable too and it provided a cracking opener. And there was the special attraction deal which adds that extra little touch to the special feeling of WrestleMania, with Akebono, a genuine dream match with two guys at the top of their game interacting for the first time and I thought Trish vs Hemme was totally solid too and I loved Christy Hemme, she generally left me totally solid. And the theme that accompanied the event was bags of fun too. Awesome, stacked, game-changing 'Mania.

2 - WrestleMania 23 - There was a run of excellent back to back 'Manias for me. 21, 22, 23 and XXIV all being superb. 23 is another that is up there because I felt the build was loads of fun and it still delivered massively on the night. When sometimes, the build can be tremendous but is never quite lived up to on the night - i'm thinking XXVI here specifically here as Pitcos detailed nicely. I loved the Cena - Michaels story. The two guys set for a big clash becoming tag champs together is an over-used plot device for some but it was used to great effect here. The Sweet Chin Music tease was worked masterfully and the whole idea behind Shawn being someone you can't trust and WILL turn on you was great. The eventual, inevitable Sweet Chin Music was timed and handled perfectly too. And then on top of that the match itself surprised me greatly and was a top main event. Undertaker challenging for the World Title, World title vs Streak was great too and absolutely felt like a massive clash between two huge stars meeting for the first time and entirely WrestleMania worthy. Really enjoyed the build here too, particularly a segment on Smackdown where there was a line of security separating them. And again, the match greatly exceeded my expectations and also furthered enhanced the magic of the streak and also proved Batista is the real deal for me, this being one of the significant moments where I really came round to the big guy. I loved Umaga at the time and the Hair vs Hair shenanigans in the run up were great fun and definitely provided an excellent special attraction, celebrity involvement for this 'Mania. I was glad to see Umaga getting featured in a prominent role but the match here was pretty disappointing. Probably the only let-down of the show though, even Kane vs Khali was inoffensive and a suitable match for 'Mania. The Money in the Bank match was ridiculously stacked and a lively way to open the show and MVP also arrived in a brilliant US title match. I've loved the man ever since. He seemed pretty useless for ages before, then suddenly he turns up here, has a sweet entrance and wrestles a blinder against Benoit and he's been awesome since.

3- WrestleMania XIV - Muchlike I said about 21, this was special to me because it truly was the official arrival and dawning of a new era and a pretty significant one at that. The whole feel and presentation of the show was perfectly in fitting with the time. How many people do you know were suddenly WWF fans following this? Really well paced, some tremendous matches - Rock vs Shamrock, Dumpster match and under-rated gems - Hunter vs Owen and the Battle Royal and return of LOD was a fun way to kick off. I loved the whole Undertaker vs Kane story and especially the last few months leading up to 'Mania and Undertakers return on Raw, finally saying he will fight his brother. Totally felt like a WrestleMania worthy match that matched the magic of WrestleMania. Mike Tyson being involved was fucking massive and is the greatest celebrity WrestleMania involvement ever used for me. And of course, Stone Cold Steve Austin truly arrives.

4- WrestleMania X7 - The popular favourite. And it's almost a little over-rated for me actually, because everyone seems to remember it through rose-tinted glasses, claiming every match was awesome. Which isn't true in the slightest. It was well on its way to being a dud until we got to Angle-Benoit and (ignoring Ivory vs Chyna) it just escalated and escalated and built and built, getting better and better as the night went on building to a massive crescendo. Angle/Benoit, Vince/Shane, Trips/Taker, TLC II and Rock/Austin were all absolutely superb, all for very different reasons and very different matches. Austin was just incredible in the main event, an incredible performance. This 'Mania is remembered so fondly because of the main event really, truly a WrestleMania worthy main event, the two biggest stars of their era meeting when their popularity was damn near equal.

5- I can't decide for the 5th between WrestleMania VIII and WrestleMania 22 for 5th place. There's a lot of things I love about both but there's also a few things that let them both down for me. WrestleMania VIII is one of the first I remember seeing close to the actual time of it happening so is always fondly remembered for that alone. But I also had fully caught the WWF bug at this point with 1992 WWF and loved the big time look and feel of this show. I loved the IC title and WWF title matches, Macho already being my favourite and Bret joining him after this event. I vividly remember watching those two matches and loving it, yet even as a young child felt really underwhelmed by lots of other stuff on the show, particularly the Hogan-Sid encounter and the whole aftermath of it. I wasn't into Hogan or Sid and again, even as a kid it didn't seem like it should be the last match when i'd been conditioned to the WWF title match always being last and even though I dug Warrior the whole bit with him returning left me underwhelmed and confused because he looked different and everyone said it was a fake. But I still love it. With 22, I absolutely love the main event, I think it's another classic WrestleMania main event up there with Rock/Austin and Hogan/Warrior. And I completely echo the comments of Malbranque regarding Mickie James. I fucking loved early 2006 WWE, it is a massively under-rated period for me, there was tons of stuff I was really enjoying on the shows but in particular I was absolutely loving the performances of Mickie James at the time and it was great seeing her so over and get her big moment (even if the end was fluffed) and her performance again here was rockin' and the Vaj-Grab was a cracking moment.

What are your favourite 5 WrestleMania matches and why?

1 - Steve Austin vs Bret Hart, WM13. It's the greatest match there's ever been for oh so many reasons. Just a complete masterpiece of wrestling, of storytelling. Their rivalry is my favourite thing ever in wrestling and this was it's grand moment, it's peak. The match was so massive, such a big deal it completely impacted the entire business forever. It's amazing the emotional journey it takes you on. Two absolute masters of their art. I remember watching and being just reeling for a good while afterward, being completely blown away. I could talk about this match and why it's so good forever. So much that I love about wrestling is contained within this match.

2 - Triple H vs The Undertaker, WrestleMania XXVII. Much like the match above, a masterpiece of wrestling and storytelling and contains so much I love about wrestling in this one match. I've wrote about it in depth in the Triple H reviews thread so you're probably best off reading my thoughts of it there rather than me going over them again here.

3 - Roddy Piper vs Bret Hart, WrestleMania VIII. One of the very first matches I vividly remember watching. Another would be Macho vs Warrior but I think I watched them both around the same time. I'd always loved all the larger than life, superhero theatre of WWF but Hart-Piper was the first time I really remember being really drawn in by the story told by the wrestlers in the match and the emotion of it, rather than just the action. And the finish was brilliant. Another match that just left me blown away after.

4 - Hulk Hogan vs Ultimate Warrior, WrestleMania VI. Because it's pure WrestleMania, two real life Superheroes colliding. And the match and the drama that unfolded were cracking entertainment. Loved it. Another I vividly remember watching, VHS on to go, sitting a foot away from the telly, glued to the screen.

5 - Steve Austin vs The Rock - This match is remembered as an all time great match, which is certainly is but it's actually a right shambles at the beginning, with the announce table exploding at the wrong time, Earl Hebner completely fucking up stuff with the blade, falling all over the place. But then it does eventually all come together, with Austin putting his absolute all into it and giving a mighty performance, telling a tremendous story.

Sheamus vs Daniel Bryan, WMXXVIII - Was a brilliant way to kick off the show. I was against the match taking place initially because i'd loved the Daniel Bryan/Big Show/Mark Henry/Orton issue and wanted to see that conclude at 'Mania, yet it just got completely dropped to shoehorn in Sheamus, leaving the other three guys who had been awesome all year long with either nothing or something totally worthless. Yet when the match unfolded as it did, I loved it and contrary to what many idiots believe, it did absolute wonders for both guys careers. A total WrestleMania moment.

Triple H vs Owen Hart for the European title at WrestleMania XIV is a right nifty little match, totally forgotten about and has a right neat finish too.

WrestleMania XXVII as pictured above by Shane O' was absolutely glorious.

Pitcos echoed some of my memories with his post. I'm pretty sure, as already mentioned that WMVIII was the first 'Mania saw close to the actual time of it happening and I vividly remember (like Pitcos) seeing the roof with the clear sky visible above as Tito made his way ringside down that massive aisle and thinking how big time and massive it seemed with that stadium. And also vividly remember as mentioned watching the IC title match and falling in love with wrestling. I also always remember the 8 man tag and the piss take introductions to begin with and of course Macho/Flair. At the time though, I would get my hands on anything WWF I could and watch anything and everything. So I was always watching tapes and had seen a bunch of WrestleManias - III, V, VI, VII for sure but I can't remember which I watched first and when. I remember watching most WrestleManias fairly clearly after that. IX was recorded and I watched the next day at my Nans with my brother and we hated the ending, almost put me off wrestling and in fact kind of did for a bit. Didn't see much more of it in '93...only really King of the Ring and SummerSlam. I was all about Bret at this point, I fucking loved the King of the Ring tournament and loved his match at SummerSlam. Everything else didn't grab me though. I wasn't feeling the Luger push at all and the SummerSlam main event result just confirmed to me that he was useless. Any time i'd see wrestling at this point would be at my mates who lived over the road who had sky and introduced me to wrestling. I do remember catching the big shows there actually, but it's mainly the Bret stuff I cared about. I remember seeing the Owen/Bret fallout at Survivor Series and then the Royal Rumble match too. And then on a weekday evening he knocked on our day and said WrestleMania X is on if we want to come over and watch, which we did and I remember watching that from about the Ladder match. He was 5 years older than me though and must've started to grow up or something as I didn't have any access to wrestling for what felt like forever but was actually only until December '95. I've still to this day not seen WrestleMania XI, but I don't think i'm missing much. So WrestleMania XII is fondly remembered too because it's the very first WrestleMania is stayed up for and watched live and was well into Michaels and Hart facing off. Loved the Goldust/Piper brawl too though.

What are your favourite heel/face turns at WrestleMania?

People bitch about the many Russo made turns and switcheroos but the Chyna face turn realigning with Triple H but then them both turning heel and joining the Corporation later on was brilliant. And it was also the start of some seriously big things for Trips.

Pitcos is right about XXVI, loads of great stuff was going on there. I loved the chaos and controversy that surrounded WrestleMania 13 too, that last Raw before the show was incredible. Would probably have to be 21 or 23 for the reasons mentioned above. Although 22 was really slow starting, but the Saturday Nights Main Event and Go-Home Raw did a great last minute hype job.

I absolutely hated WrestleMania X8, everything about it. Far and away the worst WrestleMania for me. 'Mania and WWF had been awesome for years and it all came to an end with this, left a very bitter feeling did this one.

As mentioned - I'd loved to have seen something concluded with Daniel Bryan/Big Show/Menry/Orton last year. And the example I gave in question, with what the Undertakers Streak legacy has gone on to be, it would be pretty great if there was an epic match with Angle in there at 22 as well, rather than the nothing match he had with Menry. I'd have preferred Orton vs Mysterio in a singles as well. Bit of a shame that one. And it was a shame Jeff Hardys big push hit a roadblock, he got suspended and dropped from the Money in the Bank match. Jeff taking MITB in a WrestleMania ladder match would have been a magic moment and when he eventually cashed in and bagged his first WWE title, hopefully under different circumstances to usual would have provided an awesome moment too. I also kind of wish we had The Shield challenging Hell No for the tag straps this year.

I'm not sure. Since last weeks Raw i'm very intrigued by what's going to happen with Cena/Rock now, as it feels like it could be a big, significant moment and I love their story now. I'm convinced Dolph will be cashing in, many things point towards that and it would make for a great moment. Other than that, i'm not sure. I can't wait for Ryback and Menry to hammer the shit out of each other, I love Menry but Ryback really needs to win that match. I've loved The Shield 6 man matches and I love their group but it feels like they've lost serious momentum, although I've loved their previous 6 mans and liking everyone in the match, I've little interest in this one, so hopefully something interesting goes down there and The Shield move on to something else and something interesting post-Mania.

Archived