*Spoilers* iMPACT 3/14 Discussion

Buzz Lightyear

TNA's Tag Team Division right now really is incredibly strong isn't it?

Three solid teams and in the background there's Joe/Morgan, a Potential Aces & Eights Tag Team and also a future return of the Motor City Machine Guns.

I'm loving the fact that they don't have another PPV for 11 weeks, no excuses in not building up a really strong Slammiversary PPV and setting up Bound for Glory.

When did Shelly re-sign with them like?

I don't think he has but while Sabin is out of action I'm not sure he wants to commit to any company. There's always a chance they could return.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matt Morgan really frustrates me, he could be amazing, he has the look, the size, the charisma, but it is just when he gets in an actual match, he does not wrestle to his size, he fanny's about in the ring and looks uncomfortable in his own body. He is brilliant when he can destroy people in segments, but i'd really love to see him change up his style somewhat in actual matches.

Three solid teams and in the background there's Joe/Morgan, a Potential Aces & Eights Tag Team and also a future return of the Motor City Machine Guns.

I'm loving the fact that they don't have another PPV for 11 weeks, no excuses in not building up a really strong Slammiversary PPV and setting up Bound for Glory.

I don't think he has but while Sabin is out of action I'm not sure he wants to commit to any company. There's always a chance they could return.

I would like to see a Shelly/Sabin feud personally, i'd love Sabin to come back, and during his first or second match back to have Shelly come out and smash him, playing the "you cost me my job when you got injured, they couldn't do anything with me cos all the fans wanted to see was the Machine Guns, and we couldn't give it to them, so i had to go to Japan, now i'm back........" etc etc.

I drool thinking of a year long feud between the 2 of them, with different match stipulations.

I think TNA is flush with teams for now, i'd be happy enough with them coming back as the Guns, but i was thinking outside the box i guess.

I would like to see a Shelly/Sabin feud personally, i'd love Sabin to come back, and during his first or second match back to have Shelly come out and smash him, playing the "you cost me my job when you got injured, they couldn't do anything with me cos all the fans wanted to see was the Machine Guns, and we couldn't give it to them, so i had to go to Japan, now i'm back........" etc etc.

I drool thinking of a year long feud between the 2 of them, with different match stipulations.

I think TNA is flush with teams for now, i'd be happy enough with them coming back as the Guns, but i was thinking outside the box i guess.

Yeah that'd be good. TNA loves to team people up and have them split and feud. They do a really good job of those sort of feuds.

With Sabin having so many bad injuries recently, I'm sure he's going to have to change his style when he returns so this could be a way of preventing him from doing the flips that fans are so use to seeing him doing.

• Paid Members

Bloody loved this episode. Hot crowd that seemed to react to everybody like they were stars, which doesn't usually happen when TNA go outside the Impact Zone.

I'm fully on this Aces & Eights bandwagon, again. I hated it pre-Lockdown, but the addition of Bully Ray (who is the best heel in the business) and the fact that they're now looking like a proper group helps. That end segment was really well done. You were just willing Hogan to role back time, rip his t-shirt off and start unloading bombs. A vulnerable Hulkster is such good value and is perfect for this story - the poor sod clearly wants to cave folks heads in but simply can't go. I'm well up for Aces & Eights running the show, for a few months.

The AJ Styles return was really well done, too. The guy was in the form of his career before I stopped watching, I can see him really stepping up with him playing the wild card role. James Storm is such a state, these days, glad AJ Styles decked him (the crowd seemed to be into it too). Hopefully they don't bugger this up, as it was a good start.

That new(er) fat announcer bloke is pretty awful, eh? He comes across like a total dweeb 95% of the time and projects wooden emotion worse than Mike Tenay(!!!), fuck sake.

Sting and Hogan no longer being mates needs to be rectified soon. I'm not happy.

Oh aye, Bobby Roode slowly backing away from Sting while an unaware Aries trash talked was brilliant. The match was as good a TV match as you'll see from Sting, these days.

Kudos to Aries and Roode for pinballing and Flair flopping their arses off for one of the most enjoyable Sting matches I've ever seen. What lovable stooges them be.

Ace's and 8's kicking in them pesky Mexicans, with D'lo (or whoever it was) stroking Hernandez like a darling pup gave them their first step towards being not rubbish.

Kudos to Aries and Roode for pinballing and Flair flopping their arses off for one of the most enjoyable Sting matches I've ever seen. What lovable stooges them be.

Ace's and 8's kicking in them pesky Mexicans, with D'lo (or whoever it was) stroking Hernandez like a darling pup gave them their first step towards being not rubbish.

Aces and Eights have been drifting for so long with no direction

Bully being the leader gives the group hope and fingers crossed will give them the direction they have been lacking

Id quite like to see AJ Styles do the 97 Sting routine tbh

• Paid Members

Just watched this show, and am so glad I didn't spoil it by reading this thread first. What a fucking ace show. Aces & Eights really look like a threat now, and with Bully Ray at the head, they're amazing as heels. A few more months of this, with a bit of variation and storyline development, and they could go from being one of the potentially lamest factions to being potentially one of the classics. They're certainly en route to being TNA's best ever faction right now.

Let's see....

Immortal

Fortune

Planet Jarrett

S.E.X.

Serotonin

Triple X

Frontline

Mexican America

British Invasion

World Elite

Team Canada

3 Live Kru

LAX

Main Event Mafia

Outside of the MEM and possibly LAX and 3LK, all the rest are pretty standard fare. If TNA keep up the booking of A&8s, I think they could possibly even surpass the Mafia.

I love AJ's new, dirty look with the stubble, mussed hair and leather jacket. Looks proper bad-ass right now. Moment he showed, I knew he'd clock Storm. My prediction for his going down the Sting vs. nWo/WCW path is off to a good start.

Y'know what? Morgan's getting better. To whomever said he needs to change his match style up - no, that's what he had to do before. He's done it now - he's wrestling like a big bastard for once, and it's working. He's always been pretty natural and charismatic on the mike, and now he seems to have found his persona. Let's hope he keeps up the good work.

I like Todd Keneley (the new commentator), but he's a bit too similar to Tenay for my liking. Too clean-cut, anodyne play-by-play guy - they need someone with a bit more character and more of a hook, I think. In this respect, Don West in his sports agent guise wouldn't be bad. Would also break up the monotony of hearing two high-pitched voices only sporadically broken up by Taz' mid-tone. Controversial, but I honestly don't think Taz is that bad. He's doing alright at the moment, heeling it up as A&8 rep.

Sting vs Roode - first time we were seeing it, and such a shame it had to be a set-up for a beatdown, because I was massively enjoying it up to that point. Loved how they set it all up backstage too. I'm really hoping Roode and Aries actually are naming their team the "Dirty Heels", it would be ace.

Bad Influence as "Legion of Boom" - really, these guys are must-watch right now. Still can't believe I'm saying it, but I'm not unhappy to be doing so. They've got something great going on there.

Knockouts - Gail Kim is still really quite good as a heel. This thing she's got going with Taryn is enjoyable to watch. Only problem I have with it is that they seem to be taking a lot of focus off Velvet as champion, but it's not a massive deal.

Would like to see Jesse wrestle more often instead of just valeting Tara - he's shown some decent ability in the few matches he's had, plus looks like a star.

Overall, a massively fun show, and definitely a reason to keep watching. This Aces & Eights angle is, right now, nothing but positive. The move to big arenas has helped a tremendous deal, too. TNA are finally looking big-time, and I hope their profile starts going up quicker from now.

• Paid Members
I like Todd Keneley (the new commentator), but he's a bit too similar to Tenay for my liking. Too clean-cut, anodyne play-by-play guy - they need someone with a bit more character and more of a hook, I think. In this respect, Don West in his sports agent guise wouldn't be bad. Would also break up the monotony of hearing two high-pitched voices only sporadically broken up by Taz' mid-tone. Controversial, but I honestly don't think Taz is that bad. He's doing alright at the moment, heeling it up as A&8 rep.

I think the fact Taz sounds arsed for the first time in years doesn't help the other two. He's always coming out with one liners or put downs and the other two are far too gormless to keep pace. When Taz calls Keneley fat or shite the bloke should at least react in a manner fitting of a respectable lead announcer, not some mong that's prone to getting bullied.

He was awful during the final segment too. The TNA locker room were getting a battering and he's acting like it's just another angle, thankfully Tenay took over and started acting like it meant something.

I agree that they could use someone with a bit more 'colour'. It's a shame Bischoff is above announcing, now.

• Paid Members

I think the fact Taz sounds arsed for the first time in years doesn't help the other two. He's always coming out with one liners or put downs and the other two are far too gormless to keep pace. When Taz calls Keneley fat or shite the bloke should at least react in a manner fitting of a respectable lead announcer, not some mong that's prone to getting bullied.

He was awful during the final segment too. The TNA locker room were getting a battering and he's acting like it's just another angle, thankfully Tenay took over and started acting like it meant something.

I agree that they could use someone with a bit more 'colour'. It's a shame Bischoff is above announcing, now.

And the thing is that it's not like there's no-one available. I'm sure they could get Schiavone in, or perhaps Kevin Kelly.

I've harped on about this before, but the biggest example of TNA's ineptitude when it comes to recognising what they really need is when they failed to sign JR. He is the only announcer on the planet right now who makes things sound BIG-TIME. He's got the voice and the experience. And they forewent the chance to sign him because he wanted to be Talent Relations head again, and they wanted to keep Terry Taylor, who they only went and got rid of not long after. Fucking idiots. They'll never get another chance to sign him now.

Let's see - potential announcers:

Schiavone

Kevin Kelly

Jesse Ventura (shame he's sticking with politics)

Jonathan Coachman?

Roddy Piper

Eric Gargiulo (whom I don't rate at all)

There's not really much choice.

That was a good enjoyable episode and I'm likely to be back in the swing of watching every week now that Aces and Eights have heated up. The Chicago crowd were really receptive, the US crowds in general have improved to be fair.

Aces and Eights had a good outing this week and it was a solid start to Bully's reign, I'm glad nothing with Hardy was rushed into as the rematch will likely happen in the coming weeks, but I imagine nobody is really arsed about it.

Some great action between Aries and Sting too, Sting may be more suited to the gimmick/tag team style matches these days but this was still highly enjoyable and it was nice to see Aries back in a match with a big star like The Stinger. One gripe though about Aries and Roode....them 'Dirty Heels' shirts, they'd suit Bad Influence down to the ground, but the 'It Factor of professional wrestling' and the 'Greatest man that ever lived' should not be wearing these rags!

I loved the AJ bit too. This could be his best opportunity to be a good solid character removed from the hokey 'Nature boy' impersonation and as the good guy of TNA. Looks like some good stuff is to come of this.

Roll on next week's show.

• Paid Members
Let's see - potential announcers:

Schiavone

Kevin Kelly

Jesse Ventura (shame he's sticking with politics)

Jonathan Coachman?

Roddy Piper

Eric Gargiulo (whom I don't rate at all)

There's not really much choice.

Schiavone doesn't much care for wrestling, these days; Kevin Kelly is rotten; Jesse Ventura lives in Mexico and makes good money being a mental; Coachman now has a proper job working for ESPN; the other two will do it but I doubt they'll be any good.

Even Don West is done with wrestling.

What's Kevin Nash up to? He's perfect for Taz, he can just spend his time making midget jokes and going on about how much merch the nWo sold compared to Aces & Eights.

Piper would be atrocious on commentary, he'd always be 'going off script' in what he thinks is an good attribute but actually makes him sound like a bumbling irrelevant idiot, especially based on his last few Piper's Pit appearances.

I quite like Todd Kenneley, sure he could do with biting back a bit but he's basically a fresher Mike Tenay and he is puts everything across quite well for the most part. I'd actually like to see Robbie E do a bit of commentary, he's one of them characters that would be suited to commentary and has a lot to give from a personality standpoint opposed to just in the ring. Joey Ryan too for that matter; just as long as they didn't go overboard on talking about themselves. A revolving door policy on one of the seats at the announce desk would keep things fresh.

Archived