Soliciting donations for a friend

Polish Dad

Guys, I know this isn't wrestling related and none of you know her but this is an ex of mine who is the most wonderful person I've ever met and who helps keep me sane despite all that goes on in my life.

She needs a lot of money to get the treatment she needs and she's asking for donations to help her fly to Canada for it. If you have any money to spare then please donate what you can or at least if you'd like to post a message of support that I can relay to her that'd be great: http://www.giveforward.com/helpbeccastransition

• Moderators

The page is not very good - it doesn't really explain what she wants the money for very well at all. I had to re-read it twice and even then I'd have to look up what SRS and eloctrolysis in relation to gender transition actually is if I wanted to know what I would be funding.

Not trying to be a dick, but if she puts a bit more work in to the page to make it more accesible she might find people more receptive to the cause.

edit: It really comes across as something thrown together on a whim, but it's asking for an awful lot of money. Like she's not given it any thought or effort because it's other peoples' money. Not saying that's teh case, but that's how it reads.

Like these guys pointed out - what is she doing? She said she can't make/save/raise the money herself but there must be things she can do?

If you're going to ask for donations and want rely on the help of strangers you've gotta bare your soul a bit more and be an active agent in the change you're trying to create (whether it's a personal cause like this or charitable fundraising on behalf of another cause).

Are you on Twitter? Asking celebs for a retweet might get a few donations, you never know!

I think that could be a good plan. There'll be some celebs who are very passionate about it - look for any that kicked off during that Journalist vs Trannies argument on Twitter a few weeks back. Chyna's done stuff for transgenders before as well.

Yeah, she's not the most together of people. She needs a lot of money to get herself to Canada and get the sex-change surgery to finally present as female. Honestly, I don't think she'll raise this kind of money, she's just in a really bad place right now and could do with some hope, so I posted this around pretty much everywhere I frequent to show her that someone supported her and cared. I've been passing along messages of support too.

Thanks for the advice though. I'll get onto her about either her redesigning what she's written or giving me access to do it herself. Twitter's worth a go too, good shout.

• Moderators

Hey, I'm sure you know the situation better.. but is false hope really better than no hope? How's she gonna feel when if the likely outcome of not getting anywhere close to the required amount happens?

Also, for the reasons given previously I think it's really important that she does the redesign herself and exercises some control over this. Actually taking some ownership may give her hope even if she doesn't get the full amount because it will make her feel like this is something she can actually influence, even if not for the direct (monetary) reasons detailed.

Good luck yo.

edit: apologies to Gladstone for the measured and reasonable response to this. I got all my morning anger out nice and early today dealing with this prick of a future neighbor who is trying to block extension plans on a property I'm helping my mum buy.

• Paid Members
Hey, I'm sure you know the situation better.. but is false hope really better than no hope? How's she gonna feel when if the likely outcome of not getting anywhere close to the required amount happens?

I was about to say the say thing. Having hope and then it being crushed is worse than having no hope in the beginning. Did you not see The Dark Knight Rises?!

Archived