Monday Night Raw 11/3/13

ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Opening segment was great. Loved the Paul Bearer tribute and actually got a little lump in my throat for Undertaker's bit. Then Punk came out and was a massive dickhead, and I absolutely agree with NEWM saying that the match has some fire to it now. The Paul Bearer videos throughout the night were all really good, though I'd been watching most of them on Youtube over the past couple of days anyway.

Bryan and Ziggler had a tidy little match too. Not a lot of point to it, but it was good. Nice to see Mr. mostly on his back (HAHAHAHAHA) get the win too, I suppose.

Fandango is still amusing me so far. Lawler fucking loves that Tippinscales joke doesn't ge?

Lesnar murdering the Outlaws and Heyman delivering a typically excellent promo was a show highlight too. Silent Brock murdering people and pulling the appropriate faces is still the perfect way to book him, particularly when Heyman has always been so, so good at speaking for him. Oh, and the Rhodes scholars were fun. Damien Sandow is so good.

Ryback and Henry should be a fun clubberfest. I don't know if Henry needs any more praise for his brilliance but I'm going to give it to him anyway. I fucking love you Menry. This week it was him shaking his head as he caught Kofi. His intensity is so much more believable than Ryback's, and I say that as a Ryback fan. Their jobber killing pissing contest was excellent stuff. I'd quite like it if their match at Mania was an ironman match where you can only score pinfalls on Drew McIntyre.

Shield/Big Show/Orton/Sheamus was all good stuff. I love the Shield so much.

THE BELLA TWINS ARE BACK GUYS, AND MICHAEL COLE WANTS TO HAVE SEX WITH BOTH OF THEM AT ONCE. I WANT THAT IMAGE TO BE SHARPLY IN FOCUS IN YOUR MIND'S EYE NEXT TIME YOU SEE HIM ON SCREEN. Rhodes Scholars were fun there too. I wonder what the plan was when they split them up on Smackdown a few weeks ago. It seemed nonsensical then and they've since put it right, but I assume they had something in mind when they originally wrote it.

Del Rio and Cesaro had a fine match. Cesaro is so reliable in that regard. The reaction to Alberto was a bit lukewarm aside from the crowd joining in with his ring introduction. It's a bit like Ryback where Feed Me More is more over than he is.

The Cena/Rock video was excellent. WWE can churn these out in their sleep but we shouldn't take for granted just how good they are at it.

Agreed with Up Chuck about the highlight reel segment. I really didn't thnk it was painfully bad until Cole and Lawler started insisting than it was. I do agree that Jericho sounded incredibly false though, and that certainly made me cringe. I cannot stand babyface Miz either, but I'm sick of announcers doing this even when the segments are painfully bad. Sneering at your own shitty programming doesn't stop it being your shitty programming that you expect us to sit and watch for three hours. But yeah, in this instance it wasn't even a massive trainwreck of a segment. I find Jericho very dull at the moment, I despise babyface Miz and Wade Barrett is treading water. Fine, it's a filler segment to give them something to do, "worst segment in the history of RAW" from Cole was a ridiculous comment.

MICHAEL COLE GIVING IT TO BOTH BELLAS AT ONCE.

I thought the Swagger/ADR feud took a positive step forward this week. Having him bully Sin Cara was a wise move, and I think Coulter was fantastic. He was treading the line between stuff you can sort of agree with and just being an offensive prick, which is where he needs to be. He went a bit soft on that in the weeks previously and it was good to see him back on course.

The show closing segment was fantastic. I loved Taker and Kane's Bearer tribute for the moment itself and for Punk pulling the ultimate bastard move in spoiling it. A show long storyline revolving around his sons and the urn was a great tribute to him. I think Kane deserves praise for his performance too. The childlike, vulnerable and emotionally unstable side to the Kane character is something he's always been particularly strong at getting accross and it was lovely to see it back for a week as a break from comedy Kane, though he can be excellent at the latter too. Instantly about a million times more excited for Taker vs Punk after this show, so it did its job very well.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Enjoyed the Punk/Taker stuff,and loved Brock killing the NAO's and Heyman's excellent promo.Bryan/Ziggler was brilliant I thought,and AJ looked less annoying then usual.

All the shitty movie promotion is fairly irritating,very weird to see Halle Berry involved with a WWE movie too.

Jericho's phony enthusiasm reminded me of Sebastian Bach's performance in the train convention episode of Trailer Park Boys.

Lawler's commentary really is the shits mind isn't it? When Cole was plugging The Big Show being on Psych and Lawler kept called it "Psyched" I cringed. I know it's sad with the heart attack and all but still he clearly doesn't care so why should we?

All the shitty movie promotion is fairly irritating,very weird to see Halle Berry involved with a WWE movie too.

I don't know if I've just softened on it, but I've been finding the movie promotion stuff lately nowhere near as invasive and irritating as it used to be. It might be because they've got proper actors in some of the films lately. But in theory, that Highlight Reel should've been alright. All three of them are good talkers, there was a reason for the conflict with Barrett and Miz both having films out, and it was leading to a match that built up the Intercontinental title match next week. The ingredients were there for the promo to be decent, and head and shoulders above most WWE midcard stuff. And it fell flat at every turn.

I thought the Paul Bearer tribute that opened the show was really well done.WWE are usually great with those tribute videos.The Undertaker coming out was a nice touch aswell.When Punk came out I thought "What a prick!" Job done tho.

The closing bit with Taker and Kane was really good too as was Punk getting his heat back.The Punk pose with the urn and Taker giving the throat cut were great visuals.It's great that this match now has something behind it.

Ziggler and Bryan had a good little match,tho I was surprised to see Ziggler win.Hopefully that match with Jericho materialises at Mania.I reckon those two could have a very good mid card match at he show.

Speaking of Jericho and THAT segment.I really did seem doomed from the start.The lack of a Highlight REEL set and the fact both Miz and Jericho were in wrestling garb made it obvious they were just killing time until a match was going to take place.

The Miz is the absolute pits these days isn't he?And this is coming from somebody that was a big Miz fan boy during 2010/2011.That "Really?" catchphrase is terrible too.

Cole and Lawler crapping all over Maddox hardly helped matters.Still,I really like Barrett.Even when doing the comedy movie star sthick he still looks like he could batter both Jericho and Miz at he same time.

The Call looks like a terrible film.

Fandango has really got some heat hasn't he?Even if it most likely consists of "He's probably a queer,let's boo him" heat.Him saying his name is endless fun.

I was far more excited about The Bellas return than I ever imagined i'd be.I'd still trade them for a Laycool return tho.

Lesnar smashing The New Age Outlaws was great as was Heyman's promo.I wonder what kind of stip they'll choose for the Mania match now.

Lastly,that Cena/Rock promo vid was excellent.

• Paid Members

So are we looking at the remaining Mania matches being a Miz-Jericho-Barrett three way and then a stick-em-all-in tag match with Kane & Bryan/Rhodes & Sandow/Ziggler & Langston/Clay & Tensai and possible some of the Superstars crew if they do a gauntlet rather than a four corners? Stick Kofi and Cesaro in the pre-game show and that's everyone who was at Elimination Chamber accounted for.

And they used weird clips of the films that didn't really have a beginning or an end.

My mrs thought they were spoof movie trailers as both had no dialogue and just lots of people shooting at eachother from close range but not hitting eachother.

It was like the scene in 'Hot Shots Part Deux' where a bodycount tally came on screen as everyone was randomly shooting everyone else.

Overall I've been underwhelmed by this years build compared to previous years, and I think that's due to a combination of the main matches not being "first time ever" matches as well as a lack of interaction between feuding people.

Swagger vs Del Rio is the only WM match which has included regular interaction between the two participants and there are only 3 more Raw's left.

So are we looking at the remaining Mania matches being a Miz-Jericho-Barrett three way and then a stick-em-all-in tag match with Kane & Bryan/Rhodes & Sandow/Ziggler & Langston/Clay & Tensai and possible some of the Superstars crew if they do a gauntlet rather than a four corners? Stick Kofi and Cesaro in the pre-game show and that's everyone who was at Elimination Chamber accounted for.

Can't imagine it being too far removed from that. That 3 way would be very dull though. Personally, i'd add Ziggler to make it a fourway, give him a bit of consolation by picking up the IC title (not that it means a great deal) after failing with the cash-in earlier in the show.

And Kofi could go in the tag match too, with R Truth, so throw Sin Cara into a pre-show title match with Cesaro after beating him in a neat little match on Main Event last week

I don't understand why anybody thinks of Wade Barrett as anything other than utter shite. He is the worst talker they've had in the thirteen years I've been watching relative to the amount of mic time he's given. It doesn't seem to be a partisan thing because he's British either; he's highly thought on the DVDVR board as well. I've enjoyed about three segments involving him in the three years since he's been on TV, and they were all in spite of his boring fucking involvement. Get to fuck.

Yeah he looks hard enough, I'll give him that, and if he was a bodyguard or part of a lower card tag team he'd be fine. But he's presented both by the company and his fans as a talker/character wrestler, and something about the way he carries himself makes me think he views himself the same way.

Meanwhile two guys who look at least as hard and have each shown flashes of confidence and personality on the mic in Big E Langston and Titus O'Neill actually are used as a bodyguard and a lower card tag guy respectively. Did Rocky Johnson give his life for this?

• Paid Members

Ha. For such an obvious joke, I didn't half chuckle.

Barrett showed with Nexus that he's not totally useless. He's a main event promo with midcard wrestling skills. Even when you stick him in there with a super worker like Cena, Barrett can drag the quality of the match quality down.

His skill is definitely a mouth piece for others, though.

Ha. For such an obvious joke, I didn't half chuckle.

Barrett showed with Nexus that he's not totally useless. He's a main event promo with midcard wrestling skills. Even when you stick him in there with a super worker like Cena, Barrett can drag the quality of the match quality down.

His skill is definitely a mouth piece for others, though.

That was the case in 2010. It's not anymore. If anything, it's gone the other way. Barrett, presumably via his five thousand matches with the fantastic Sheamus and Randy Orton, has turned into a more than decent wrestler. But his verbal game, or at least his character, has regressed.

Archived