Monday Night Raw 11/3/13

ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

May as well get this going.

After much discussion about what Undertaker and Punk would do with the Paul Bearer death they decided, like every great pro-wrestler, to use it to enhance their build/match. Some may consider it tasteless (it is a bit, but that's the point), but I enjoyed Punk acting like such a massive knob. It's also a nice twist on this Streak thing, as the draw this year is more seeing 'Taker get his revenge and his urn back, rather than purely "I'm the one that's going to beat you".

Lesnar coming out and battering the NAO and Heyman's promo that followed were really well done. Summed up why Triple H wants the match so bad and why Lesnar is so quick to accept this time (he's killed everybody and is confident). I wonder if they're going to do some mental MMA-style match. I kind of hope so because the overreaction from some of the MMA community will be glorious, especially when Triple H wins via Pedigree.

The Rock/Cena video was quite good. For those that were wondering where they heard the music from, WWE used it for their feud-ending Orton/Cena video.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Rhodes Scholars version of the NAO theme was tremendous. I hope that's not the end of NAO on Raw, I'd at least like to see them at Mania in some sort of Tag Team gauntlet match.

The Bella's are back, they must have realised nowhere else wanted them - well, that or they wanted to spend more time with Cena/Bryan.

Henry/Ryback should be fun at Mania, with Ryback doing his finisher on Henry being the OMG moment WWE usually try to do at Mania.

X-Pac was tweeting that he knew Paul Bearer better than most and that he'd have been more than happy with what they did last night.

• Paid Members

I thought it was a cracking show this week. Especially the first hour. The only bad point for me was Cole and Lawler shitting all over the Highlight Reel segment, which wasn't half as awful as they were making out. Maddox is surely supposed to seem out of his depth, and the part before he came out was just another Raw down segment - nothing great, but no worse than average. Someone in the back clearly wasn't enjoying it and told Cole and Lawler to shit on it, meaning we have an Intercontinental title match that's worthless next week. So, uh, it matters slightly less than usual. Whatever.

Rest of the show was great for me. Ziggler/Bryan was a predictably enjoyable match in particular. Having Punk interrupt the Bearer stuff was the kind of over-the-top panto stuff that Bearer was happy to be involved with for decades, so it's all cool with me. I think he'd have been all about it.

• Paid Members

Nah. Although I'm much less certain it'll be Bryan vs Kane now, which I'd have thought was nailed-on before. If the Outlaws stick around, we might end up with a big multi-team tag title match, what with the emergence of Brodus and Tensai and the fact that they haven't got a clue what to do with Rhodes Scholars.

The rest was the usual Raw fare ranging from the bland to the downright fucking rotten, but I really enjoyed the Mania big match segments.

Punk nicking the Urn makes for a physical representation of the Undertaker having no powers now that Bearers dead, which actually, finally, gives the match a bit of juice. Shame a bloke had to die for like, but still. I thought it was handled brilliantly actually, this sort of thing works fantastically when the characters are so linked with death as a theme anyway. Surprised Kane went over but it doesn't really matter. Less than "can he break the streak", there will be at least a good sense of "Can Taker get his comeuppance on that little fucking scrote for being such an arsehole", which supplies some story to an otherwise thrown together encounter. Cheers for this one Paul Bearer, eh?

The Brock/Outlaws bit was fucking perfect. Great work from everybody there, a smart segment from everybody involved. Can the Outlaws make it Mania?!

Man that was a great show. And a great way to celebrate Paul Bearer. When the show started I thought we'd get a 10 bell salute but instead we got taker, which made me applaud, I thought we'd get him saying how much he loved the guy and pay his respects. Instead we get the pose and then Punk, while annoying, its that edge that makes Punk just seem golden right now. Theres no guy on the roster right now who can play the heel as good as punk is right now.

The NAO - lesnar part was brilliant, all from Rhodes Scholars to Paul-E's promo, and the look Brock was giving made it feel like he was feeling comfortable again. Must admit the start of the final hour wasn't that good, the highlight reel was a little cringe worthy but Cole and Lawer talking over it didnt help at all

I enjoyed it for a change. Maybe being on an hour early helped as I wasn't trying to keep my eyes open so it didn't drag as much.

Lots of fun stuff going on; Punk being a brilliant prick - The Shield being fantastic too as usual - Moustachio'd Magnificence - Henry and Kofi's finish - Zeb talking - Brock & The outlaws (apart from the inconsistent 5 minute selljob), loads of Paul Bearer memories - that bump in the locker room - a good finish to really heat things up for Wrestlemania. Not to mention some decent wrestling with (what felt like at least) more bell to bell time than usual.

• Paid Members
I hope on the Road to Wrestlemania we see a tag main event of CM Punk & Brock Lesnar vs Undertaker & Triple H!

I was thinking about this last week, and how they have kept Punk and Brock apart despite their allegiances with Heyman. Perhaps they come together the Raw after Mania, like a super-team, and end up facing Taker and Triple H at Extreme Rules? After a few weeks of destroying everyone on Raw or something.

• Paid Members

They should have Punk take on a few more of Taker's former Mania opponents in the buildup, I love stuff like that, Angle's match with Jannetty years ago was a cracker in similar circumstances. Kane winning was likely part of the tribute to Bearer more than anything else, Punk got his heat back and nobody will remember come Mania anyway.

Punk losing dosn't affect him all that much

He was distracted by the Undertakers gong and he got the upper hand afterwards so its not gonna matter come Mania that he lost a month before.

Thought Raw for the most part was great, once again it would of been a fantastic 2 hour Raw but 3 hours just leaves them with a little too much filler to make a flawless episode, the endless movie trailers, the bizarre Halle Berry bit with Kane, which was made worse as straight after we had Kane in a serious Main event.

Still a good watch and I'm getting excited for Wrestlemania

Were was Cena though? assume he was away doing some promo stuff or something

Archived