DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Finally got round to watching Midnight Run last night. What a fucking movie. Always loved the "planes, trains & automobiles", cross-country Odyssey-type film, and this is probably the best one I've seen. A ton of action that makes it seem like a longer film than it is, but so much fun that it doesn't feel like a slog at all. Love the soundtrack, DeNiro's doing his usual thing before it was his usual thing, nice little appearance from Jack Kehoe, Joe Pantoliano plays a weaselly prick perfectly as always, and it all just flows wonderfully.

Thanks for the continual recommendations, Devon.

The Day Shall Come 

I really enjoyed this and it was an easy watch. Marchant Davis as delusional commune leader Moses was absolutely great, and the surreal way he and the film goes is a lot of fun.

Negatives are that Anna Kendrick is massively underused as an ambitious FBI agent (she's so lovely but ACAB so fuck her), and some of the humour between the cops falls massively flat and the tone fluctuates wildly.

Halfway through I couldn't stop thinking how similar to Four Lions it was, and had obviously missed that it was made by Chris Morris. Kayvan Novak being it just added to my confusion. Good stuff.

UglyDolls

Awful.

The Addams Family (2019)

A lot of fun. Kept everyone silent for an hour and a half so that was a bonus. Top marks for Snoop Dogg as Cousin It.

The Land Before Time

Still really lovely, with a lot of heart and charm. Forgot about the absolute Diana Ross classic at the end of the film.

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Men In Black International. Erm, the cast was alright, I suppose. 

I didn't mind it, really, but mostly because of low expectations and yeah, the cast too.

1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

The cast was the only reason I watched it really. I smiled a few times. Harmless movie that passed the time a little.

That pretty much sums it up for me!  Was reading it was meant to be a Jump Street crossover originally but it did feel like a franchise movie too far. 

• Paid Members

Zombeavers (Netflix)

Self-knowing but not too much that it becomes insufferable. The zombeavers were really funny designs and reminded me of Critters. I laughed a lot because I'm a knob.

Laughter in Paradise (Talking Pictures TV)

Lovely 50s comedy with Alastair Sim and George Cole especially hilarious. A sort of four-way Brewster's Millions, perfect if you love a bit of Ealing.

Welcome to Sarajevo (Amazon Prime rental)

Michael Winterbottom is a very uneven director and I would have liked to have seen him direct more mature films like this. Then again, we might never have got 24 Hour Party People. Really strong and occasionally distressing but really well made and acted.

• neil locked this topic